Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

My latest print is a wooden mask (Model by Michalis on BlenderArtists [1])

Mask26

First time that I have printed with a different material than PLA Ultimate blue. I was to curious to test the woodfill by colorFabb.

I have found this nice rendering by Michalis on BlenderArtists and I thought that it would fit perfect for a woodfill print. I really like his artwork.

Mask01

(Sculpted in Blender and rendered with Cycles by Michalis)

[OT: Blender has some good sculpting tools, too. Incl. dynamic topology.]

At first I have printed a small version with Ultimate blue PLA to test the model and painted it with white primer.

Mask11

Then I have loaded the colorFabb woodfill (fine) and started a bigger print:

Mask13

The woodfill is a difficult material to print. I have had some jamming and clogging. Don't print to hot, over 210°C the material will turn into charcoal. You have to avoid that the material will stay to long in the heated nozzle.

For a good print I have had to increase the "material flow" to at least 120%.

The final print with woodfill:

Mask16

Mask19

Mask21

After cleaning up the model, I have used some mordant (wood stain?) to color it.

Turned out really good. Looks like wood. :)

Mask30

Mask28

Mask27

Mask31

Couldn't get a neutral lighting. In reality it is a combination of the red and the dark brown.

That is how it looks with other wood material on my shelf, really like it:

Mask35

Mask34

Way more photos in my Album:

Mask01Mask02Mask03Mask04Mask05Mask06Mask07Mask08Mask09Mask10Mask11Mask12Mask13Mask14Mask15Mask16Mask17Mask18Mask19Mask20Mask21Mask22Mask23Mask24Mask25Mask26Mask27Mask28Mask29Mask30Mask31Mask32Mask33Mask34Mask35

Thank you Michalis for the model.

[1] http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?294033-Michalis-s-sketchbook

Did my first painting. I used a little airbrush set for this.

P4200857

P4250916

Also did a print of the Winged Victory, its about 40 cm high. Its slightly primed and spray painted.

P4200881

My latest print is a wooden mask (Model by Michalis on BlenderArtists [1])

Hi Conz,

woow! This is one of the best work I've seen with woodFill, looks very nice. Good to hear that you were able to overcome some issues and kept trying. The final model looks very cool, we shared your 3d print project with our twitter follower, I'm sure they'll love it :)

woow! This is one of the best work I've seen with woodFill, looks very nice. ... The final model looks very cool, we shared your 3d print project with our twitter follower, I'm sure they'll love it :)

Thank you! Will retweet it. ;)

Wow that winged angel thing looks really great!

As does the demon thing, pretty awesome first painting!

Did my first painting. I used a little airbrush set for this.

Also did a print of the Winged Victory, its about 40 cm high. Its slightly primed and spray painted.

That is some top notch painting right there... man... I gotta get me an airbrush set..

How hard are these to use/learn?

I used to do model painting in my younger years (warhammer fantasy) using fine brushes, so have some idea of highlighting, shadowing, blending etc., but have never used an airbrush or even seen someone use one...

Hey guys. So here it is, my first ever 3D printed design. As I said before I was having issues with Cura and had to print this guy a lot smaller than I had intended so a lot of the detail is lost due to scale. I also made the mistake of modeling some parts too thin, you can see that the bottom row of teeth didn't print properly. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Height 100mm

Print speed 30mm/sec

Layer height 0.06mm

Bed temp 65C

Nozzle temp 210C

Time 12.5 hrs

14031281032_e02ff2852b_h.jpg14031278672_c60cfc4c54_h.jpg14031303181_0bc0d9d4e9_h.jpg14031274172_085f36298c_h.jpg14054498193_db5d2485b0_h.jpg14054496463_54200909d2_h.jpg

Pictures where taken on my iphone so the quality is not great. There seems to be a lot of noise on the print so I think I still have a bit of tweaking to do. I managed to solve the issue that I was having with Cura freezing the progress bar on large prints by rolling Cura back to 14.01 as per braddock's suggestion. I'm now printing another model at 150mm and 59 hrs :shock: lol. so far its looking good and there doesn't seem to be as much noise, maybe this is something to do with using the earlier version of Cura.

Nice. To get rid of the whitish surface (sanding on 4th picture), you can wash him with warm/hot water (not to hot). And rub with your finger the surface. It will help a little bit.

Nothing impressive but thought i would post it anyway..

Ultimaker robot printed in ninja flex using iroberti feeder system on UM2

ninja flex robot

ninja flex robot 1

Looks good! Yeah, I noticed weird stuff in the latest cura when I installed it, so just kept using 14.01

I think there's another version out now though?

Hey guys. So here it is, my first ever 3D printed design. As I said before I was having issues with Cura and had to print this guy a lot smaller than I had intended so a lot of the detail is lost due to scale. I also made the mistake of modeling some parts too thin, you can see that the bottom row of teeth didn't print properly. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Height 100mm

Print speed 30mm/sec

Layer height 0.06mm

Bed temp 65C

Nozzle temp 210C

Time 12.5 hrs

Pictures where taken on my iphone so the quality is not great. There seems to be a lot of noise on the print so I think I still have a bit of tweaking to do. I managed to solve the issue that I was having with Cura freezing the progress bar on large prints by rolling Cura back to 14.01 as per braddock's suggestion. I'm now printing another model at 150mm and 59 hrs :shock: lol. so far its looking good and there doesn't seem to be as much noise, maybe this is something to do with using the earlier version of Cura.

A little timelapse of the celtic skull i printed friday. Will post pictures when i'll upload them :)

Layer height: 0.16mm

Colorfabb black

Print time: 12h

Nothing impressive but thought i would post it anyway..

Ultimaker robot printed in ninja flex using iroberti feeder system on UM2

simple but very cool !

Ian :-)

"Sometimes I lack inspiration, anybody knows a good source for inspiration? "

love the egg holders, i get most of my inspiration when i am outside in the woods walking around :)

this was my biggest print so far, printed in two parts simultaneously on two UM1s. it stands 50cm tall (base 10cm, pug 30cm, crown 10cm)

The paintjob was kind of unintentional (the color was dried and my airbrush died, long story) buit i like how it turned out in the light :)

Crimson King

Wow that winged angel thing looks really great!

As does the demon thing, pretty awesome first painting!

Thank you! All credits should go to the awesome person who uploaded this beauty http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:196038

That is some top notch painting right there... man... I gotta get me an airbrush set..

How hard are these to use/learn?

I used to do model painting in my younger years (warhammer fantasy) using fine brushes, so have some idea of highlighting, shadowing, blending etc., but have never used an airbrush or even seen someone use one...

Thank you!

My only experience with painting models also base on Warhammer 40k! So you got a pretty good start i guess :)

Using the airbrush is not that hard. But make it work is :D. I used acryl colors (out of a tube) and thinned them with water. Its pretty hard do make it spray smooth without drops. Also always start with the brightes color, i sprayed the red like 5-6 times but it just stayes that dark (i wanted it to be a bloody red). For the effekt i just never sprayed right on to the model, i just tried to keep a good angle so the red doesn't spray in the "deeper" spots. Afterwards i did realize i should have painted the deeper areas first fit black, and leave the higher sports white (filler), then i would have had a nice bloody red. You can spray a 2-3mm fine circle, witch make it pretty easy to do color fadings (like on the horn).

But overall a cheap airbrush set is really fun to work with :)

"Sometimes I lack inspiration, anybody knows a good source for inspiration? "

love the egg holders, i get most of my inspiration when i am outside in the woods walking around :)

this was my biggest print so far, printed in two parts simultaneously on two UM1s. it stands 50cm tall (base 10cm, pug 30cm, crown 10cm)

The paintjob was kind of unintentional (the color was dried and my airbrush died, long story) buit i like how it turned out in the light :)

OOw the pug is nice! are you willing to share your model? My brother is into pugs, but i have not found a decent enough model end my skills are not yet good enough for a detailed model.

With which material was it printed?

Cheers!

Yet another skull:

C

B

A

Very happy with this one. Probably my best print yet :ugeek:

My son wanted a glow in the dark dragon

20140328 215700 Android

20140328 215626 Android

Valcrow, do you have any source on how to paint the Mech you made so darn beautifully?

Thanks! and yes, I was following along this tutorial more or less:

I'm still learning and trying stuff, this one seemed to work out pretty well! but beware.. huge mess. Salt + airbrush = salt everywhere.

I finally got my ass around to trying out some flexible filament. I started with something easy, like the treefrog :p I had a couple of bad starts as it refused to stick to the bed so I put down some kapton which seemed to solve the issue. I'd say the print was quite uneventful (which is good), retractions seemed to work just fine and I had no problems with filament transport. This stuff seems to absolutely hate overhangs though, they look terrible. but other than that I'd say that I'm pretty happy with my first flexy print. This was printed with my new feeder.

flex01

flex02

flex03

flex04

Those paying attention will notice the bad leveling. I flipped the glass plate and put on the tape so it really should've been re-leveled before printing but I couldn't be arsed to do it. I manually pushed down on the bed occasionally to relieve pressure during the first layer.

This is for Makingzone & Skint.

Sorry it took so long to get these files up. I redesigned the base and I am making a few more mods for the gears.

The Dremel Workstation is now on Youmagine! https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dremel-workstation-press

Aside from the top of the body being chopped off and printing a separate part, the body printed really well.

I've had a number of 24 hour + prints going lately, and the UM2 has been printing very well, no under extrusion etc.

body head

Wow, braddock!

Amazing piece.

thanks mate, btw, my overhangs have improved a lot printing with colorfabb at 210 degrees and fans on full after 0.5mm or first layer.

Wow, braddock!

Amazing piece.

You're welcome, pal, it's great because you have amazing sculpts wonderfully printed.

Means a lot in terms of inspiration/motivation.

Thanks for the hint!

As soon as I'll be back from a small tour in Switzerland, I'll try my brand new (delivered today) unopened Colorfabb filament with these settings.

I did a couple of tests today, on a small hand, with the usual Ultimaker blue PLA and it came out kinda like "no.hope.".

I also tried to put the overhang supports from 45° instead of the default 60° but it didn't change that much.

thanks mate, btw, my overhangs have improved a lot printing with colorfabb at 210 degrees and fans on full after 0.5mm or first layer.