Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Yeah Braddock, it would! Print me one of those bad boys!

I see a lot of iron man masks and kits on thingiverse, have considered having a go at one of them.

Edit: Wallan, I couldn't imagine the transition from real sculpting to digital " Fakey " sculpting lol. Do you prefer Zbrush to real sculpting?

One day, I AM going to learn zbrush! Does zbrush prefer processing power over graphics card or vise versa? Or both.

Edit: Wallan, I couldn't imagine the transition from real sculpting to digital " Fakey " sculpting lol. Do you prefer Zbrush to real sculpting?

Sculpting a rough model in some medium har oilbased clay is something i really like.

I's fast, not hard onyou hand and establishes a lot of the model.

Working with details I like better in zBrush where I can zoom in and redo.

Would had been nice to sculpt first part inclay,3ds scann and continue in zBrush.

Our latest print project took 92 hours! Designed by Braddock, such a cool model! It was printed on a Delta Tower, 0.2mm layer height, 16% infill and 210C, 50mm/s speed. Total weight of the print is 2kg! However the model was scaled slightly to big so the antenna isn't completely finished!

13962372936_3549aa635d_z.jpg

13985920214_1ecedc8a04_z.jpg

This beauty is going with us to Fabcon - Messe Erfurt 15 - 17 May.

But we've also been printing with our Ultimaker 2's a lot lately! One of the Ultimakers had some extrusion issues, but after replacing the nozzle and the teflon bit it printed really well again.

We've 3d printed our logo for the front desk of our new office, if you look closely you can still see the previous company its logo :) The letters are pretty much the maximum build size of UM2.

13985920704_31a25f2434_z.jpg

13962751836_b73753685a_z.jpg

ACHFOS - designed by Ola Sundberg. Printed on the Ultimaker 2, at 0.12mm layer height, 210C, 50mm/s, 16% infill.

13985739585_5c98b3ac5f_z.jpg

Printed on the Ultimaker 2, at 0.12mm layer height, 210C, 50mm/s, 20% infill.

14005844863_6a442876f3_z.jpg

Printed on the Ultimaker 2, at 0.12mm layer height, 210C, 50mm/s, 16% infill, with support.

14005844383_fa1db10aee_z.jpg

Hanging from a very thin fishline looking badass in our print lab.

Stop printing so much and stock your suppliers, mainly PrintedSolid.com so I can keep my business running! ;)

I think going the reverse may be more Jarring, from Zbrush to physical sculpting.

I mean for one.. I'd be thinking UNDO all the time.. and just hang my head in shame.

OOw the pug is nice! are you willing to share your model? My brother is into pugs, but i have not found a decent enough model end my skills are not yet good enough for a detailed model.

With which material was it printed?

Cheers!

Thanks Lennart

I dont feel good about uploading the whole model since it wont print properly in one piece and i dont have time to write an assembly guide now, but i uploaded a derivate i did for a friend of mine.

otto 2 Web

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/pug-container

hope you like it

b

A lot of old school sculptors and toy makers are now switching to to ZB and 3D printing, even film industry maquette makers

Some guys just enjoy the tactile hands on art of using sculpy / clay, but I've never tried it.

I think going the reverse may be more Jarring, from Zbrush to physical sculpting.

I mean for one.. I'd be thinking UNDO all the time.. and just hang my head in shame.

Just a little question. Do you guys use a 3d mouse with Zbrush or is it superfluous? (http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemousewireless.html).

I can't imagine using anything but a wacom or cintiq with ZBrush.

Just a little question. Do you guys use a 3d mouse with Zbrush or is it superfluous? (link).

Totally agree with braddock.

IMHO, I have to say that, with Zbrush, I found out that an intuos, in terms of usability, is totally comparable to a cintiq (which I'm using).

When I switched from intuos to cintiq, I had some problems inside Zbrush because of my (drawing) hand that was partially hiding the model.

But, with 2D drawings, a cintiq is unbeatable and not very comparable to an intuos.

I can't imagine using anything but a wacom or cintiq with ZBrush.

Wow, this thread constantly amazes me!! The organic shapes and contours you guys are producing are mesmerizing, and it's clear that you have a lot of control over your printers.

I've been printing every day, but nothing really beautiful. I haven't posted in a while and thought I would show some things I've been printing that you may find interesting.

I printed the gyroscope, but the mass was too difficult to get just right on such a large ring.

qWwrelM.jpg

The motor sits inside a compartment inside the cage structure; I printed everything in pieces and press fitted them together.

mrNDWri.jpg

I printed out some single axis masses for the gyroscope with much better success; the one on top is filled with nickles, and I can balance it and the motor on my finger while it's spinning. This new mass is too big for the holder now, so now I have to either re-design the cage or the mass holder to get all the pieces to fit together.

I'm very surprised by the durability of the PLA plastic; the mass spun off the motor several times and slammed into a solid body without breaking. I thought it would be sort of cool to have a really large gyroscope, but if your finger or something hits the mass (which is very likely without the cage) it just gets a mind of it's own starts wreaking havoc.

9yKilg6.jpg

I've been interested in making a ball-socket joint for a while and made this piece. The ball snap fits into the socket and is free to rotate, and the holes on the sides of the cylinders extend through the body for wires to feed through. Very much in progress though.

LFhcZrt.jpg

Also, I've been working on this project that is still pretty up in the air right now but I wanted to show some close-ups of the print quality. It's printed in one piece and is water tight.

rLgy19X.jpg

This is a dish of bolts. I know it seems sort of boring, but I saw this sitting at my work station and thought it was just interesting to see such a "boring" thing printed out, or something like that.

gkBk16F.jpg

Also, my wall of cylinders.

oRZmhVk.jpg

@LeoDDC, what do you do for a living? Are you and braddock friends :mrgreen:? Your model looks great, with lots of well printed detail. When I saw your first image I thought the support structure was some misshaped hand supporting the head.

Nice work Aaron! some really nice cad modeling, the ball and socket is great, I'll be needing something like that soon.

Nice work Aaron! some really nice cad modeling, the ball and socket is great, I'll be needing something like that soon.

Thanks, the models you've been creating make me really interested Zbrush type software. I know that the possession of the software will not enhance my artistic abilities though :mrgreen:. I'm stuck in this planes and extrusions realm!!

I really like your alien head, especially the teeth and cheeks. Your models look so fleshy and anatomically believable, the anatomy is always so realistic for something that is fictitious.

Thanks mate!

Update on the Stalker beast.

parts

Thanks, the models you've been creating make me really interested Zbrush type software. I know that the possession of the software will not enhance my artistic abilities though :mrgreen:. I'm stuck in this planes and extrusions realm!!

I really like your alien head, especially the teeth and cheeks. Your models look so fleshy and anatomically believable, the anatomy is always so realistic for something that is fictitious.

Diablo bust

Diablo bust from thingiverse print with UM2 with white colorfabb 0.08 Layer height 55 hour of print

Fabio

@ Skint: Thanks man. If you have your computer working by the time I do the hulk I'll send you the file and you can have a go at printing it if you like.

As far as real vs digital sculping goes I actually started with super sculpey when I was about 14. I saw a youtube video of someone using zbrush about 7 or 8 years ago and I couldnt believe how awsesome it looked. I was hooked within minutes of playing around with the demo version and bought a copy right away. I much prefer sculpting digitaly now and using zbrush has improved my traditional art skills as well.

@AaronAli: Cheers mate. The gyroscope looks really cool, I'd love to start impimenting some functionality into my designs. I'm just a hobbyist with the whole 3D thing at the moment. My day job is working as a stage door keeper in a westend theatre answering phone calls and giving the dressing room keys to the actors as they come in etc. I have a ton of free time at work when nothing is happening so I just take my laptop and wacom tablet to work with me and practice zbrushing all day :). I'd love to do something like character/creature design for games and film. I'm currently looking for jobs in the industry but its very difficalt as I have no formal qulifications in this area and everyone seems to want people with industry experience.

@braddock: Awesome! That beast is comming along nicely. Do you tend to do much sanding and post prossesing to your prints?

@fabskill: Nice print! very clean looking.

I'm going to go to the imakr store after work today and pick up some filament. I think I'm going to go with colorfabb but I have heared mixed reviews about it. It sound like it's good stuff but occasionally people get a dodgy batch. I would go for faberdashery but I dont like the fact that it dosn't come on a spool.

Also I wanted to ask you guys about how you store your filament. I've just been keeping mine on the back of the printer but I have heared that pla can absorb moisture which will effect the print and that it's a good idea to store it in a container when not in use?

Finally got around to print Braddock's Ieyo bust. Unfortunately he got a bit of a beard but other than that it printed well. Awesome model. 20+ hours at 0.06mm layers, zero infill and 1.2mm walls.

BraddockIeyo

Really nice demon reptile braddock!! Again, very impressive anatomy. I've spent a great deal of time studying herpetological species and I swear I've seen reptiles almost exactly like the one you crafted, sans the head.

Great looking bust print fabskill. Did you use the Cura support structure? I've found that it works better than people have claimed.

After seeing all the great prints of Braddock's bust I want to definitely print it out now. I like the filament you are used IRobertI, green is my favorite color, what is the exact filament you printed with?

It's a transparent green from ultimaker.

My last print is based on a scan of a Einstein bottle holder.

Not really a scan but I used agilesoft photoscan to generate a mesh based on 52 pictures of the model.

here is the model along with a small print in ABS with a CTC printer (not so bad printer by the way)

einstein original

and a UHU stick holder printed really fast on my Ultimaker original. I needed something to hold the UHU stick near the printer :)

einstein UHU holder

I am currently printing only the head at a bigger scale and I will post the result here

If anyone is interested I can share the model !

Ho and now I only print on cold glass with UHU and the PLA stick very well.

Whoa! More awesome prints happening.

I have been offered some work today, CAD based stuff.. which should earn me a few quid, so I need to get a new laptop asap. Cant wait to get printing again :)

That diablo print is cool, not keen on the time it takes tho lol

and here is a bigger version printed at

layer height 0.12

shell thickness 0.8

speed 50

einstein bust 2

einstein bust 1

I simply applied a decimate filter in blender and then a subdivision surface

I really need to smooth this model but I am not very good at sculpting !

Nice work Jonathan. I like the little green guy holding the glustick.

I went to get some colorfabb from the imakr store today and came away with all this free stuff!!

13896124299_f613a0c6cf_b.jpg

Its their birthday so they are giving away free samples of colorfabb and forma futura. The other box is a 3d printing pen that they are selling for £10 with any purchase until the end of the week. They normally sell them for £79.99. I don't know weather to have a play with it or sell it on ebay. ^_^ hmmmmm

Leo, go back and get me all that stuff !! Buggers at imakr didnt give me any freebies when I bought my UM2. :(

I don't think there's anything less artistic or creative about making hard edge functional stuff, there are some people that gravitate towards the organic sculpts, and others that have an affinity towards mechanical stuff. And that can be beautiful in it's elegance in it's own right. I certainly appreciate the thinking behind it!

I've been interested in making a ball-socket joint for a while and made this piece. The ball snap fits into the socket and is free to rotate, and the holes on the sides of the cylinders extend through the body for wires to feed through. Very much in progress though.

LFhcZrt.jpg

The first few things I tried to make was a balljoint as well. I wanted to make one of those universally pivoting arms to hold various things. Unfortunately, it didn't work very well, there just wasn't enough friction or rigidity in the PLA to have the ball held tight enough. The micro grooves didn't help either.

gallery_7531_65_1435558.jpg

I think if I were to approach this now, I would make a ball with small divits in it, and have spikes on the clamp side that correspond to those grooves, that way we're not relying on the friction of the PLA, but rather the teeth to hold it in place. I'll have to test this later...

Post some vids when your gyro and joints start working!

Cool stuff all around! This thread just gets better and better!