Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!
given that retraction is now a solved problem.. what's the perceived advantage of towers?

Retraction isn't always great, at least for me (I've a slightly screwy UM with a non-standard ID bowden tube).

- It always leaves some traces as it arrives at the point where it 'recovers' from the retraction,

- It results in a greater chance of a plug inside the bowden,

- With a stock feed mechanism (as I have at the moment) there is always a chance of grinding the filament,

- It's damn noisy :)

That said I've had a fair success with retraction so don't use this idea all the time, but when I do I'm usually very happy with the resulting object.

totally agree with the last 3 points -

as far as the recovery bit goes - if you're using k'slicer, set the prime value after retraction to very slightly less than the retract value and see if it still gives problems. there is sometimes a slight asymmetry caused by molten plastic seeping back down into the nozzle. i suspect the problem is path length dependent too but no slicers take that into account as far as i'm aware.

my latest creation....

Cool, you made a device that grinds up the filament for recycling? :D

Then you need this one:

Which I think is awesome and very scary at the same time.

That's a lot of compression on your filament Ian. Checked for a plug already?

Or you can check out

http://betterfuturefactory.com/

They already went to Lowlands (Big Dutch Festival) to recycle the used plastic cups and recycle them

to rings and what not.

Ultimakers have been used for printing the recycled plastic, awesome!

They have other big events in there agenda.

another of my modern art creations today with my new ultimaker....

who needs straight lines and quality, when you can create automatica modern art !

you're really getting the hang of failure as a form of art here Ian ;)

I printed this yesterday:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30323

pyruvatedehydrogenasecrop_display_medium.jpg

For the first time, absolutely no adjustments! I just hit the print button and scraped the finished product off my cooled-down bed four hours later!

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, my camera is having trouble focusing on this object, no doubt as a result of its color.

help me out here, coral, cauliflower, or cat brains mashup?

help me out here, coral, cauliflower, or cat brains mashup?

lol! It's actually a crystal structure of the catalytic core of pyruvate dehydrogenase from Azotobacter vineladii, see here

http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/101/motm.do?momID=153

OK, we're sorry we asked ;)

looks good tho, cat brain was my vote btw

Ok here's another Pyruvate Dehydrogenase! This one is closer to what humans have.

10 hour print! Support removal took way too long on this.

q6opTl.jpg

hey look, Ive invented scouring pads! somedays you just need to find a positive side to complete failure :lol:

8004080267_4f70859c6a.jpg

I've done that too, and I invented fluff and string ;)

but I have to say that's an awesome photo for marketing purposes - just needs a catchy slogan now

Got tired of picking up cables from the floor...

height.thumb.jpg.ba483d62d7903646b7bb12a6e2b8c7ea.jpg

IMG_20150407_195356.thumb.jpg.a440cda2727998686c6ae26ae1f2e8bf.jpg

IMG_20150408_084837.thumb.jpg.e132b4b6dbeeb56e32f59ea7b3d46a3b.jpg

very nice ! are you using solidworks for your modelling ?

have you uploaded that to thingiverse ?

Ian :D

ok here is something i cooked up for a friend a few weeks ago.

sadly the man had the 3d model created in archicad and every time we tried to export the model, the beautiful soft curved and profiles came out over simplified and blockage but i had zero time to make a new model and for my friend, it was really not needed to be perfect....

any way excuses over, here are the photos... :):)

Yep, that's SolidWorks. And no I haven't uploaded it since it's so specific to my (homebuilt) desk so I doubt it'd fit anything else really :)

Yep, that's SolidWorks. And no I haven't uploaded it since it's so specific to my (homebuilt) desk so I doubt it'd fit anything else really :)

Doesn't matter, someone might find a use for it, or use it as inspiration for their own variation. Soildworks should be able to export .step or .iges files, which makes it possible for other people to modify your design quite easy.

I see a lot of people using solidworks - but isn't it ultra-expensive? do they have a free version available or something?

solidworks is seriusly good for making real life 3d objects.

and yes for the fill edition, it costs a lot of money but if you want to bounce a round some easy ideas with the free trial version or if your a student, then you can get a free student license which is really good.

im not so sure, so many people are getting hacked versions any more off the net ?

from my experience, there are just too many nasty little trogans, viruses, back doors and zoombies built into these cracked illegal copies on the net, that it is simply not worth going down the dark path again.

I hate to drift off-topic here, but I just wanted to mention that another alternative that I've not seen discussed before is Bricscad. It's expensive, but not nearly as expensive as Solid Works. I've used it for 2d lasercutting and quite like it for that. Havn't tried it for 3d yet, but it looks promising on the surface. I'm just evaluating the trial version right now, but am seriously considering buying the Pro version or trying to contact the company to negotiate a hobbyist license.

Cheers,

Troy.

any new models guys ??

http://daid.eu/~daid/gear.png

I haven't printed it yet, but I've designed a single wall flexible gear today.

Photo also shows some combing problems, and my new 3D window colors :-)