Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

What's the best see-through material in the PLA range guys? Is it even possible to achieve the best possible transparency, considering you have layers, which make it very difficult to "see through" a printed object. I don't see anything apart from the Transparent Red at Colorfabb, Faberdashery has this "Crystal Clear" one @ http://www.faberdashery.co.uk/products-page/print-materials/crystal-clear/ but does any one have any experiences with it? Is it really crystal clear?

Yea that's what I also thought at first looking at the picture at their website, but I am almost certain if this material had properties like transparency, they would have at least mention it in the description or even name it as such. Would make sense to me...

Looks transparent though.

The word "transparent" or variations thereof is mentioned 7 times on the product page, not sure how you could miss that... However, like you say, due to the layers it will never become truly transparent once printed. The best you can hope for is for it to be translucent when printing vases with a single wall.

http://colorfabb.com/xt-copolyester

Excuse me Robert, not trying to get into an argument with you, but on the link above (which is the product page for XT-COPOLYESTER) for the product that we are discussing currently there is not one word about Transparent, yet alone mentioning it 7 times... There's isn't anything to miss as the property of transparency just isn't mentioned on that page ;)

Even after your post I went to use the Ctrl+F function and typed in Transparent, not one hit, just because you made me second guess my vision.

Simple misunderstanding, as you thought we are discussing Faberdashery's Crystal Clear, while in fact we were discussing Colorfabb's XT :p

Peace

http://colorfabb.com/xt

That one says transparent multiple times ;-)

Great material!

Hmmm thanks KreativGeek, did not see that link. Was only looking at the one I posted in my post. Sorry then, my bad :???:

Thanks for pointing it out ;)

Has to be an awesome material to print then... on the To-Buy-Next list.

P.S. Mind you, they could have added a similar description in the "pre-Add-to-Cart" stage though, wouldn't that kinda make sense?

Or this one http://learn.colorfabb.com/print-_xt/

There are a few tricks for transparency. I have some XT left from a sample if you want me to test a model

thanks pm_dude if you would be so kind, could you test print this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:175065 and post the results for me, mind you it would be super cool if you could chop off the upper and lower layer with an infill of 0% obviously and stick something inside after it's printed, like a piece of filament of a different colour, so I can see how transparent XT really is..

Cheers!

P.S. Mind you, they could have added a similar description in the "pre-Add-to-Cart" stage though, wouldn't that kinda make sense?

I assume the reasoning for that is that the page you linked to is the "family" page for that particular type of plastic and they may add other colours down the line. In the same way the PLA/PHA page only has a generic description, not mentioning colours.

Yep you're right, again my mistake - sorry, will dig deeper next time before coming here with questions ;) thanks

thanks pm_dude if you would be so kind, could you test print this STL and post the results for me, mind you it would be super cool if you could chop off the upper and lower layer with an infill of 0% obviously and stick something inside after it's printed, like a piece of filament of a different colour, so I can see how transparent XT really is..

Cheers!

Sure. I should have time tonight to test it out.

hi

here my first try printing my selfmade character.

some parts need to be printed again, there is some over extrusion and ugly overhangs.

not much post processing is done yet.

and here a timelapse video

I assume the reasoning for that is that the page you linked to is the "family" page for that particular type of plastic and they may add other colours down the line. In the same way the PLA/PHA page only has a generic description, not mentioning colours.

Hmm.. I think you're on to something Robert. Tomorrow an official statement will be made regarding our XT line of filaments and the future plans, exciting!

Hmm.. I think you're on to something Robert. Tomorrow an official statement will be made regarding our XT line of filaments and the future plans, exciting!

What do I win? :D

Jokes aside, that's good news. XT is a nice material but clear isn't always the best colour depending on what you're making.

Here it is!!

I made another topic for it so we can add new filaments to the Quest for a clear print :).

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6754-quest-for-a-clear-print/

XT is a nice material but clear isn't always the best colour depending on what you're making.

Your right on that one too :D

Enjoy

@manattic Its pretty nice! How big is it? how many pieces?

@pm_dude thanks

23 pieces, all pieces together had a printtime of 118hrs.

size is 21*21cm and 28,5cm height.

WOW! that is a lot of print time. I hope you have some remote monitoring or something ;)

@Darth I dont know what temp you print and what max cool height is set but this sound like too high temp and not enough cooling fan to me... Check the fan max height setting to see what height it is set to (default is set 5mm. Try at 0.5mm or something like so). Also check print temp depending on material... At print height 0.05mm lower print temp could be better. Check material flow too just in case.

Can you post your settings and what material you use? It will help a lot.that and better pictures :)

@Shurik I hope google translate is right :D.

A few of my latest prints, first up, some parts for a tool organizer for our lathe at Stockholm Makerspace (of course you 3D print custom holders for everything instead of using some generic stuff)

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/tool-organizer-for-our-lathe

Svarvtavla

And then a mount for a laser sight onto a Ubiquity PowerBeam wireless link :)

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/laser-mount-for-ubiquiti-powerbeam

IMG 20140723 233036

My boyfriend wasn't too interested in 3d printing,

Printed this for his hearstone tournement at work, planning to airbrush a silver and bronze one,

He's sold now.

Heartsone key primed

Heartsone key airbrushed

That key is nice, is that your own model?

Toyed around with my new glow in the dark filament for the first time. What better to print than a ghost?

Ghost

More woodfill fine test.

This time I was looking at the material adhesion between materials on thin surface. Very good adhesion when the layers are properly printed.

Used Colorfabb WoodFill Fine and Faberdashery Mercury Red.

IMG 20140801 093727

I'll have to reprint it because I got an issue after the pause at height.

After the pause the print speed changed drastically and went to 50mm/s which previously wasnt even reaching more than 30mm/s (probably because of the min layer time). Seems like the min layer time is not respected after a Pause (using the plugin)