Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
codeczombie

Strange behaviour in support visualization (ver.14.03)

Hello,

when I set the shell thickness at 0.6, the printing time becomes less than half compared to 0.5 or 0.7, also, in the "layers" view mode, the support disappears.

cura supports failure?

Is that a bug or a feature?

I also find cura's support system pretty time consuming and, in some cases (raft mostly) kind of impossible to remove from the base of a print.

As a newbie, am I missing something?

First, on your screenshot for the .6mm shell it seems the support is not printed at all?

Second: in my experience, the shell thickness should be a multiple of the nozzle diameter. So if you work with the standard UM nozzle, it should be .4, .8, 1.2 ... mm.

And yes, the support can not normally be removed from a print without the use of a knife, file or sanding paper (unless you use dual extrusion and a soluble support material, in which case i would like to recommend the dual extrusion section here in the forum)

Yep, Burki, from the screenshot that's what I thought it was a bit strange, plus the timing.

I knew about the multiple of the nozzle but, Support material or not, if set at 0.06, compare to all the other thicknesses, printing time becomes less than half.

I'm guessing (I'm printing now at that thickness) that it just put the thickness at 0.4, since I'm noticing that on the shell the nozzle makes just one pass.

But I'm just guessing.

Thanks Daid, I just got into 3D printing and I find Cura a great piece of software, I didn't find this issue in other threads so I was just asking.

One feature that would be pretty useful would be to set the internal grid, with a 5% fill density, sometimes the grid doesn't intersect with the object so it's just empty.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers.