Connect to Octoprint from Cura

andin

Posted (edited) · Connect to Octoprint from Cura

Serious question: is it really impacting network performance? I would say that (on an internal network), it should be hardly noticable; it's not *that* much data.

For me, it did. While Cura was running and connected (via WiFi) to my OctoPi, it was streaming video at the Mbps level on my 802.11n network (2.4G). I use the RainMeter Windows 10 Widgets to monitor my PC's network, HD, CPU, etc. and saw my PC receiving that much data continuously.

I was streaming video (Internet TV) at the same time (on my tablet, not my PC) and it was constantly pausing and chopping until I exited Cura. The Network Receive rate on my PC dropped to 0 and my Internet TV stream flowed smoothly from then on.

I like the idea of a toggle switch to display, or not, the streaming video so I can turn it on/off whenever I need to.

Wouldn't the high-speed slide-show be less bandwidth efficient than video streaming? I mean, with a slide show there's probably no frame-to-frame compression going on, just single image compression. Just like when you take 1,000 frames of time-lapse photos that are Gigabytes in size (even with jpeg compression), after you generate an mp4 video from it, its only a few Megabytes do to the cross-frame compressions. So I'm thinking going from high-speed slide-show to video streaming would be even less of a bandwidth impact. I'm just guessing here, I'm by no means a bandwidth guru.

Thanks for the response. I liked the OctoPrint Plug in a lot and would love to be able to use it more.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Connect to Octoprint from Cura

For me, it did. While Cura was running and connected (via WiFi) to my OctoPi, it was streaming video at the Mbps level on my 802.11n network (2.4G).

Ok, I'll get cracking then... You might consider changing the resolution of the image served by mjpegstreamer though.

I like the idea of a toggle switch to display, or not, the streaming video so I can turn it on/off whenever I need to.

It won't be a very convenient toggle for now though. Switching is likely not going to be instantaneous.

Wouldn't the high-speed slide-show be less bandwidth efficient than video streaming?

No. The video stream is encoded as Motion JPEG (mjpg). This is basically full jpg images concatenated one after the other. If it were encoded with another codec (such as H.264), you would have a point.

I tried to edit/copy json defintions file but failed. Any hint or idea?

I have added some notes on UltiGCode to the readme of the plugin:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/OctoPrintPlugin/blob/master/README.md

Let me know if that works for you.

Not yet... the g-code startup and end procedures (RepRap) are missing and i can´t edit machine settings to add them manually. UM2+ starts printing in the upper left corner immediately without them.

You can change the ultimaker2_extended_plus_reprap.def.json (in my case a UM2e+) like this.

{   "id": "ultimaker2_extended_plus_reprap",   "version": 2,   "name": "Ultimaker 2 Extended+ (RepRap)",   "inherits": "ultimaker2_plus",   "metadata": {       "author": "Ultimaker",       "manufacturer": "Ultimaker",       "category": "Ultimaker",       "quality_definition": "ultimaker2_plus",       "weight": 2,       "file_formats": "text/x-gcode",       "platform": "ultimaker2_platform.obj",       "platform_texture": "Ultimaker2ExtendedPlusbackplate.png",       "supported_actions":["UpgradeFirmware"]   },   "overrides": {       "machine_name": { "default_value": "Ultimaker 2 Extended+" },       "machine_start_gcode" : {           "default_value": "",           "value": "\"\"  if machine_gcode_flavor == \"UltiGCode\" else \"G21 ;metric values\\nG90 ;absolute positioning\\nM82 ;set extruder to absolute mode\\nM107 ;start with the fan off\\nG28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops\\nG28 Z0 ;move Z to bottom endstops\\nG0 X5 Y10 F7200 ;bring extruder to the front\\nG1 Z25.0 F7200 ;move the platform down 25mm\\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length\\nG1 F200 E20 ;extrude 20 mm of feed stock\\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again\\nG1 F7200\\n;Put printing message on LCD screen\\nM117 Printing...\""       },       "machine_end_gcode" : {           "default_value": "",           "value": "\"\"  if machine_gcode_flavor == \"UltiGCode\" else \"M107 ;fans off\\nM104 S0 ;extruder heater off\\nM140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)\\nG21 ;metric values\\nG90 ;absolute positioning\\nG28 Z0 X0 Y0 ;move Z and  X/Y to min endstops\\nG91 ;relative positioning\\nG1 E-15 F300 ;retract the filamen\\nM84 ;steppers off\\nG90 ;absolute positioning\""       },       "machine_height": {           "default_value": 305       },       "machine_gcode_flavor": {           "default_value": "RepRap (Marlin/Sprinter)"       }   }}

Its a bit complicated, but it works.

1. in Cura remove "Ultimaker 2 Extended+ (RepRap)" printer

2. close Cura

3. patch ultimaker2_extended_plus_reprap.def.json like above

4. copy ultimaker2_extended_plus_reprap.def.json in definitions folder

~/Applications Support/cura/user (on Mac)

5. start Cura

6. add new "Ultimaker 2 Extended+ (RepRap)" printer in Cura

With this printer Cura produce the following GCode (only start/ende code shown):

;FLAVOR:RepRap;TIME:735;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 2.3.0M190 S60M104 S210M109 S210G21 ;metric valuesG90 ;absolute positioningM82 ;set extruder to absolute modeM107 ;start with the fan offG28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstopsG28 Z0 ;move Z to bottom endstopsG0 X5 Y10 F7200 ;bring extruder to the frontG1 Z25.0 F7200 ;move the platform down 25mmG92 E0 ;zero the extruded lengthG1 F200 E20 ;extrude 20 mm of feed stockG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length againG1 F7200;Put printing message on LCD screenM117 Printing......normal GCode...M107 ;fans offM104 S0 ;extruder heater offM140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)G21 ;metric valuesG90 ;absolute positioningG28 Z0 X0 Y0 ;move Z and  X/Y to min endstopsG91 ;relative positioningG1 E-15 F300 ;retract the filamenM84 ;steppers offG90 ;absolute positioningM104 S0;End of Gcode...

• Like 1

With a "custom" printer, you don't get the UM2+-optimized profiles, or the nozzle size dropdown.

Posted (edited) · Connect to Octoprint from Cura

Yes I did see it. I will stay with your printer driver (include my start/end GCode) for the time being.

Edited by Guest

The start-gcode is an issue for both the UM2 and UM2+ printers (my bad!). It will be fixed properly in the upcoming Cura 2.3.1 so the fix by @reweum should not be necessary anymore.

@DaHai8: I have added an option not to show the webcam stream. This is a fairly bare implementation; you have to reactivate the printer or restart Cura for the option to take effect. This should be fixed properly with an upcoming release of Cura.

• Like 1

@DaHai8: I have added an option not to show the webcam stream...

Awesome!!! Thanks!!!!!

.. It will be fixed properly in the upcoming Cura 2.3.1 so the fix by @reweum should not be necessary anymore.

That sounds very good;-)