UM2 stop extruding on long prints

rgrevy

Posted · UM2 stop extruding on long prints

Hi

I had my Um2 for a week now.

I have been printing alot of smaller prints in colorfabb 3mm white.

i then changed to faberdashery fire truck red, to print a 6 hour print.

i have done the same print 3 times now, and every time it stops extuding after aprox. 4 hours.

I can just remove the filament and insert it again to make it work. The filament will have a big chunk missing where the extruder wheel has been grinding away on the last 1-2hours of the print.

i printing on following settings:

Layer Height: 0,06

Shell thickness 0.8

Retraction on

Bottom/ top Thickness 1

Fill density 100%

Print speed 30 mm/s

As for temperature i tried 210, 215 and 230, all the same result.

I hope some one can help me

best regards

Does your 3rd fan, on the back of the print head, run constantly, as it should?

When i got back to work today and went to check on the printer, the fan was still running. but the printer has proberly been done for 12 hours.

If everything is fine with the 3rd fan you might want to try a different tension setting at the filament feeder.

Maybe there are a lot of retractions at the 4th hour of the print that grind down the filament at that point.

Actually, i even get new materiale in the printer now.

When the wheel graps the fillament, I miss the hole in the top and doesnt make it to the tube.

It is just jammed against the wall, and the motor is making a clicking noise trying to push the filament

Now i took the little feeder box on the back apart.

it seems to that the filament is slowly grinding away the plastic box.

IMAG0412

IMAG0411

Yes, its a known issue and Ultimaker are working on a new version.

I know of a least three members of this forum that are designing a replacement extruder as well. Just read this thread:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4393-ultimaker2-feeder-system-improvements-and-ideas/

this is a well know problem... and ultimaker are racing like horses on crack cocaine to update those parts now... plus a few of us are having a lot of fun helping them and designinf our own creations :-)

Ian :-)

However, even with this grinding of the black ABS feeder, you should still be able to print fine.

Just put it back together and see if it starts working again. Set the spring tension to the MINIMUM. You want the screw loose so that the white arm is all the way up.

I suspect you have too many retractions at 4 hours into the print. Look at the gcode with cura - are there tens of thousands of retractions? Maybe play with the expert retraction settings to reduce the quantity of retractions.

The UM2 is pretty good at retractions. I did a print where there was over a kilometer of retractions. A KILOMETER! wow. On that print each piece of filament retracted 8 times. On average. Some pieces more than that. But some PLA is softer than other PLA and I suspect this newer red filament is a little softer than the blue filament I tried.

So look carefully in expert settings at the 2 "minimum" settings for retraction and consider setting one of them to maybe 2mm (the one about gaps) and the other to maybe .1mm (the distance of filament one). If you set the second one to .1mm then the filament can not retract more than 45 times on the same piece (4.5mm / .1mm).

However, even with this grinding of the black ABS feeder, you should still be able to print fine.

Just put it back together and see if it starts working again. Set the spring tension to the MINIMUM. You want the screw loose so that the white arm is all the way up.

I suspect you have too many retractions at 4 hours into the print. Look at the gcode with cura - are there tens of thousands of retractions? Maybe play with the expert retraction settings to reduce the quantity of retractions.

The UM2 is pretty good at retractions. I did a print where there was over a kilometer of retractions. A KILOMETER! wow. On that print each piece of filament retracted 8 times. On average. Some pieces more than that. But some PLA is softer than other PLA and I suspect this newer red filament is a little softer than the blue filament I tried.

So look carefully in expert settings at the 2 "minimum" settings for retraction and consider setting one of them to maybe 2mm (the one about gaps) and the other to maybe .1mm (the distance of filament one). If you set the second one to .1mm then the filament can not retract more than 45 times on the same piece (4.5mm / .1mm).

There is alot of retractions at around the 4 hour point, so you might be right about this.

But how come i cannot get the filament to hit the top hole in the feeder box ?