UM² Printing more than 24 hours non-stop

geeks

Posted · UM² Printing more than 24 hours non-stop

Hello,

I have to make large parts for a model. It is that time of Cura told me more than 24 hours / parts. I fear more than the machine does not take the time to print without problems.

What advice would you give me to avoid problems and make these great prints?

I have done prints > 24 hours. And I had a failure (nozzle clog) on one. I was able to continue the print - it was on the UM2 with heated bed so the most important advice is to keep the bed hot and don't panic. You can wait a few hours before continuing. If the bed had cooled the part would have popped off the bed.

To continue the print I had to use pronterface to move the Z axis up and down until I found the exact layer that had just finished. Then I had to edit the gcode - deleting all the begining part and adding a G92 code for the Z axis. Let me know if you need more details.

Ah yes! Indeed! :oops:

Okay, so there it makes me even more scared. :oops:

A nice solution would be to 2h printing with a first file.

2 hours more with a second file.

And so on.

Except that. If I do that, how to make this task automatically. I do not Pronterface.

1) It helps if you can break up a part into multiple pieces and print them separately like this one which is split into 4 pieces:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:268757/#files

2) Pronterface is free and useful for experiments and tests and fine control. For example if you want to experiment with different accelerations on the Z axis:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

3) Don't worry so much. Just start printing. Understand that if it fails part way through then:

A: Don't let the bed cool!

B: Understand that you can continue it later. You can even wait a few days.

More details here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4213-ideas-for-recovering-failed-prints/

Ok Here I completely understand!

So for me, step 1 would be to do a test on a small piece.

That should be used as gcode for:

1 / Start printing

2 / gcode Part 1 Part

3 / Stop print, plate movement and nozzle

Repeat as many times as chip parts.

I'm sorry but I'm still too novice To approach to re-code gcode under UM ².

The best thing might be to take a small sample piece to be cut in two and tested. Finally when I could understand the minimum sequence.

Talking about this example:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8rzHF-dEgkdQWNvblNIYjR4Ums/edit?usp=sharing

It will be more easy!

It would be less reader-hostile to post the gcode as a downloadable file instead of as embedded text.

So for example, in your gcode above, if you wanted to continue at layer 48 (z=5.1mm) you would delete everything up to layer 48 and start the gcode with this little snippet:

;FLAVOR:UltiGCode
    ;TIME:1360
    ;MATERIAL:2282
    ;MATERIAL2:0
    ;Layer count: 78
    ;LAYER:0
    G0 F9000 X0 Y0 Z5.1 ; home head and move straight up so as not to hit part
    G11 ;unretract
    M106 S255 ; fan on full - not sure if this is smart
    G92 E1749.75789 ;very important step - this is the last extruder position on layer 47
    ;From here on nothing is changed...
    ;LAYER:48
    G0 F9000 X134.40 Y120.90 Z5.10
    ;TYPE:WALL-INNER
    G1 F3000 X95.60 Y120.90 E1751.30989
    G1 X95.60 Y119.10 E1751.38189

The important two steps are to move Z to where the next layer starts (5.1mm up) and to zero the extruder at the current extrusion amount (1749.75789mm of filament).

Ok to restart from a certain layer. But how to stop layer 77?

It must be said that the head emerges from the present case.

But how to stop layer 77?

Hit power switch.

You misunderstand. We are talking about 2 different things:

1) It is possible to break a part up into multiple sub parts using CAD software. Then print the different sub parts. You have to choose carefully where to break up your part.

2) If a print fails, you can continue where you left off with my explanation above.

Ah!

We are talking about two different things! Ok!

I find temporary solution. I will print smaller parts. When the concept is good, I'll do the draw on an online service to have things to clean up on the final prototype.

Why not just print it? The longest print I've done so far was 48 hours, and so long as I made sure the filament (on the floor) was loose and untangled every 6-8 hours, it ran just fine.

Exactly! When I see what I see!

So in the end, I actually realize myself parts. I'm good for 24 half-shells.

To this day, I make exact copies of the original 50%. Everything is beautifully past and I do not see what would block this achievement.

I would put up a picture of miniature parts. I can attack a version courira 24 and older.

Thank you for this information illuminarti. That shows that it is feasible.

A track that I have not explored this is agmenter layer thickness. I guess it is more restrictive. I must remain faithful Tred and high quality. I can not afford to fail.