Print head bumping glass clips (UM2)

Posted · Print head bumping glass clips (UM2)

Hi, I recently tried to print a plate of materials, and the head hit the glass clips.

Should I change the default head size or bed size settings in Cura?

or are my fan mounts subtly lower than other peoples'?

It's possible that your fans are fractionally lower, but I think that Cura may also just not do a really great job of avoiding the clips during printing. There is a dead zone around the clips that you can't put objects directly into, so I think the nozzle shouldn't catch the clips, but I'm not sure that Cura takes proper care to avoid the clip area when printing nearby, such that the fans might still catch the clips if they are low enough.

If you start printing and then turn the printer off, and move the head around by hand on the first layer, how close to the clips get to the fan shroud? Does it look like there's sufficient play to bend the fans slightly out of the way, maybe? Alternatively, you could adjust the collar with the holes in it that the nozzle block attaches to. If you lower the head a bit, and then relevel, that should increase the clearance of the fan shroud by a corresponding amount. You just need to keep a tiny gap between the top of the collar, and the wide part of the teflon coupler.

Carefully compare your fan shroud to this photo. Pay particular attention to the gaps near the bottom of the print head between the head itself and the shrouds.

Also look at the path in layer view. Does the nozzle hit the clips or the shroud?

Also look at the clips. Some people's clips are bent up more than others. You can bend it back down with pliers. Don't cut yourself! I already did - they are very sharp.

gallery_423_7_225254.jpg

It's possible that your fans are fractionally lower, but I think that Cura may also just not do a really great job of avoiding the clips during printing. There is a dead zone around the clips that you can't put objects directly into, so I think the nozzle shouldn't catch the clips, but I'm not sure that Cura takes proper care to avoid the clip area when printing nearby, such that the fans might still catch the clips if they are low enough.

I have noticed several times (latest today) that UM2/Cura can actually try to print beyond the printable area. So far, in my case, the print head has moved too far to the left or to the front. Maybe this is because of the brim, I don't know.