Cura colors Part 2

schafe

Posted · Cura colors Part 2

Getting no response to my question about a key for the colors Cura uses in layer view here comes part 2.

I am having a small problem getting Cura to print a part for my C-130. I thought knowing exactly what each color represented might help me figure it out. I used Blender for the design of the part. Blender has several analysis tools for 3D prints and says everything is ok. After designing and successfully printing several parts I can now say that I have a pretty good understanding of the process. My highly experienced eyes do not detect a problem. I don't know if Cura is confused or I am.

cura1

cura2

cura3

cura4

In the middle of the screen of the first picture you see 2 red lines that represent the exterior moves of the head. Note the yellow towards the top which represents infill. Also note you can see the light blue of the build plate between the 2 red lines. The entire thing should be filled in, thus the problem. It isn't a huge problem, but one that makes me curious. I plan on filling the gap with glue or epoxy.

Picture 2 is of the same area, layer 98, from a slightly different angle . Note you can still barely see the light blue of the build plate between the 2 red lines. There is also green?? infill present.

Picture 3 is layer 99. For some reason Cura has decided to start the infill now.

Picture 4 shows the result when I flipped the part 180 degrees. It is a little hard to tell, but the infill has stopped before it should.

For anyone interested, here is the .stl file.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/c-130-fuse-sections--2#!design-documents

I tried to upload the .obj but I guess youmagine does not support .objs.

When you load the object into Cura it will be oriented so that the problem area starts at layer 1 and continues through 99. The problem area is on the right of the build plate when viewed from straight on.

I used Blender for the design of the part. Blender has several analysis tools for 3D prints and says everything is ok.

Then Blender is telling you a lie. Quick view in "X-Ray" mode of Cura shows a red polygon. Which is a possible problem.

As for the problem you are having, it's the "thin wall gap". It's a difficult problem to solve 100%, Cura does a best effort (and a lot better then year ago), but can occasionally miss and not fill in some gaps.

Do you have solid infill bottom and top checked?

Also you should double check in layer view near the areas that are red in xray view.

Xray view sends an imaginary beam of light through your model and if it hits an even qty of walls it colors the model blue or white or light blue and an odd number of walls is a red or dark red color. An odd number of walls implies either an extra wall inside the part, or a hole in a part (where "walls" can be defined as ceilings and floors as well).