7 weeks today

Posted · 7 weeks today

I ordered my Ultimaker kit on 28th Feb payment taken immediately, chased on 19th March and advised to expect end of March delivery. I could handle that but no joy. Put another email in on 11th April asking for update, no responce to this. Now 20th and a bit peeved, Is this the experience of others. Most people here seem to get delivery within a week if ordering the kit. Though this was a "special" deal to include controller and Doodle 3D. Not sure I shouldnt be canceling this and going for something else. Status of order is "shipment ready" but has been at this status for sometime! Comments anyone...order number is R751676151-1and case ref was [#PBQ-648-41243.

Posted · 7 weeks today

Thanks for your input Nateokane, its the silence that gets to me. I hope that making a more public statement might help my case or at least get some info on what is happening. I am very keen to see this type of enterprise succeed and prefer to buy from the developers rather than the multinationals however the customer contact needs to get better to keep me on side.

Posted · 7 weeks today

Andrewwib did you get a shipment mail? I did not and I ordered the kit on feb 13th. On the phone they told me I was on top of the list... When I look in the order it is still ready. So I can only conclude noting is shipped. It is very frustrating.

Posted · 7 weeks today

Update:

Ultimaker shipped today, looking forward to building the kit and making something - need to find good software for use in primary schools though. Any ideas?

Sketchup is easy.

Posted · 7 weeks today

Also give DesignSpark a look. It is also free and it is almost the same as spaceclaim.

Posted · 7 weeks today

Hello Zoev89,

yes I got a shipment email and have tracked parcle to Paris on way to me. Hope to take delivery on this Mnday.

Posted · 7 weeks today

Zoev89, do you mean DEsign Spark Mechanical?

I suspect the kids will learn quicker than I will. I think the cad side of 3D printing is overlooked unless you want to print from a library.

Posted · 7 weeks today

Hi Andrewwib,

Yep it is Design Spark Mechanical. The kids will be able to learn sketchup quickly. My kids did. But drawing something that is printable is different you must make sure that things are connected and that is quickly overlooked. I am playing arround in design spark and it takes a little more time than sketchup. But the ease in which you can make rounded corners which improves printability blows my mind. Making rounded corners in sketchup is possible but modifying them later is a mess.

I don't know yet how quickly the kids can draw something printable since I am still waiting for the printer.

Printing from a library is not my thing. I will be making mechanical parts and those always

have custom geometries.

But my daughter will probably like to print earrings and those you will be able to find.

So it depends on what you want to print what software you use.

Good luck in experimenting:)

Posted · 7 weeks today

Hi Zoev89,

wahoo, printer arrived this morning. I had a look at the design spark tutorials, they are pretty good and I see what you mean about corners etc.

Odly enough the main reason I bought this is I have three Daughters and have been trying to find a way of interesting them in engineering. I think this is a tool with fantastic potential. Especially as the whole process from concept to design to production can be explored. Hope to show this to some primary schools but will see how I get on first. Now for the long build.

Thanks for your help and contribution.

Andrew