Top Layers not touching - UM2

Nicolinux

Posted · Top Layers not touching - UM2

Yeah, check your XY axis, take them out and rol them on something really flat, I use my stone kitchen worktop.... I had the same, it was solved after installing the upgrade kit... and I believe the new axis solved it. don't forget to align them when you put them back in (see the upgrade kit manual for help on that)

• Replies 526
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Labeeb. My prints look exactly like yours. On my machine I can clearly see, that the feeder is slipping. When I eject the filament, the toothmarks from reverse motion don't line up with the toothmarks from printing and that at a very consistant pattern. I too checked everything and replaced everything in the filament path.

For the moment I set flow to 115% and prints are perfect as long as temperature is high enough, no matter what speed. I would go for the + - upgrade kit or the bondtech QR.

i had the same issue, i tried all possible solutions, and sometimes doesn't happens, sometime yes, it is quite erratic, what i did is turn the material flow a little bit up, 105 % (not everyone will agree with this solution), but at least it worked and the prints got a little bit better...

Oh this thread is still alive!

I have installed the UM2+ extrusion upgrade kit and the issue is gone. So at least I can say the frame is not at fault (because that's still the same) :D

Before upgrading I put the printer through quite some hardship and printed a LOT with XTCF-20. I noticed the knurled mantle on the feeder motor was worn out a bit. It make sense if that's the cause because then the feeder wouldn't be able to transport enough material.

Oh this thread is still alive!

I have installed the UM2+ extrusion upgrade kit and the issue is gone. So at least I can say the frame is not at fault (because that's still the same) :D

Before upgrading I put the printer through quite some hardship and printed a LOT with XTCF-20. I noticed the knurled mantle on the feeder motor was worn out a bit. It make sense if that's the cause because then the feeder wouldn't be able to transport enough material.

here the same, after installing the upgrade the issue is GONE

And did you both change the rods? I think it definitely comes from there

Yep, rods were part of the +Kit.

And did you both change the rods? I think it definitely comes from there

Yep!

Hello! I just found this thread about my exact problem! Is the issue really fixed?

Is there really no other way of fixing this except buying a whole new upgrade kit?

I've got a fairly new printer and haven't printed much at all, kinda hurts to buy a kit that expensive when i feel the printer doesnt really need it.

Is warranty a solution here?

Thank you in advance :)

Hello! I just found this thread about my exact problem! Is the issue really fixed?

Is there really no other way of fixing this except buying a whole new upgrade kit?

I've got a fairly new printer and haven't printed much at all, kinda hurts to buy a kit that expensive when i feel the printer doesnt really need it.

Thank you in advance  :)

That's probably the easyest way because you'll be able to change everything on your printer but you can also just buy some new rods and try it out ! This will be cheaper and could (almost certainly as we can say by the precedent posts) solve your problem !

Does your problem meet all the similarities as mentioned in this thread or could it also be regular under extrusion for example?

Does your problem meet all the similarities as mentioned in this thread or could it also be regular under extrusion for example?

Alot of my prints lately look alot like the pictures posted in this thread. Lines are not touching but some places they are. 0.1 setting hides it for the most part but it shows sometimes.

I might aswelll try the axles, if that doesnt work, ill look into buying the kit upgrade after the printer isnt considered "fresh".

But if i recall correctly, there should be a way to check the axles right? If they have the correct distance and all?

THE PROBLEM IS BACK!

:(

Posted (edited) · Top Layers not touching - UM2

THE PROBLEM IS BACK!

Did you replace all rods or just those through the print head?

Another idea: Has anyone tried to print infill not in +45°/-45° direction but in 0°/90° direction? This can be done with Simplify3D... let me know if you need a test gcode...

Edited by Guest

@Dim3nsioneer: I printed my test object in different orientations including 90° infill direction and it made no difference.

@Nicolinux: Just to make sure I understood it correctly: You printed the object with different orientation but the infill was still produced by moving the x and the y motor the same distance, right? You didn't print it the way that infill was mainly only produce by moving the x-motor OR the Y-motor?

THE PROBLEM IS BACK!

Did you replace all rods or just those through the print head?

Another idea: Has anyone tried to print infill not in +45°/-45° direction but in 0°/90° direction? This can be done with Simplify3D... let me know if you need a test gcode...

Hey Dimmensioneer, i relates just the rods through the print head, and now im using other filament (yesterday i was using an old spell of colorfabb -  today im using a newer faberdashery spool)  and the problem is gone... this issues is totally and absolutely RANDOM!

Edited by Guest

@Nicolinux: Just to make sure I understood it correctly: You printed the object with different orientation but the infill was still produced by moving the x and the y motor the same distance, right? You didn't print it the way that infill was mainly only produce by moving the x-motor OR the Y-motor?

Ahm what? You mention "understand" and I don't get what you say :D

I printed the square rotated by 45° thus having the infill in straight lines where only one axis moves.

I printed the square rotated by 45° thus having the infill in straight lines where only one axis moves.

That's the art of confusion... ;)

I understand. You rotated the object but didn't change the direction the infill was printed. That's an option Cura didn't offer so far (in the lastest open beta they have something going in that direction under 'experimental'). But Simplify3D gives you the opportunity to define the angle for the infill; commonly known infill directions are set as 45° and -45°. If one would change the infill direction to 0° and 90°, i.e. parallel to the x-axis and the y-axis of the printer, one could separate the two axis from each other and check for axis-specific issues.

I hope, it's now at least not even more confusing... :)

• Like 1

IMG_20160502_141717.thumb.jpg.af31d011342a1aee461737d58f4cc787.jpg

Facing the same issue, tried to find the right tension for the short belts many times but no luck.

Sometimes I wonder if the Ultimaker people are competent enough to fix the issue or not, it's been over 2 years since this thread was started and still there is no simple answer. Pathetic.

IMG_20160502_141717.thumb.jpg.af31d011342a1aee461737d58f4cc787.jpg

Recently I had a large area print which barely fit the glass.

The interesting "feature" noticed was that the layers problem as well as the walls not touching problem was specifically happening mostly at far left area of the glass, whereas other areas had uniform fill and normal, solid walls.

Since it was an order, I cannot make and publish photos.

So it might be related to the rods, perhaps. Not sure. Hope, this information helps a bit.

Recently I had a large area print which barely fit the glass.

The interesting "feature" noticed was that the layers problem as well as the walls not touching problem was specifically happening mostly at far left area of the glass, whereas other areas had uniform fill and normal, solid walls.

Since it was an order, I cannot make and publish photos.

So it might be related to the rods, perhaps. Not sure. Hope, this information helps a bit.

If it's only in this zone you also should check your motor belt !

That's the art of confusion... ;)

I understand. You rotated the object but didn't change the direction the infill was printed. That's an option Cura didn't offer so far (in the lastest open beta they have something going in that direction under 'experimental'). But Simplify3D gives you the opportunity to define the angle for the infill; commonly known infill directions are set as 45° and -45°. If one would change the infill direction to 0° and 90°, i.e. parallel to the x-axis and the y-axis of the printer, one could separate the two axis from each other and check for axis-specific issues.

I hope, it's now at least not even more confusing... :)

Alright I do understand now. Then you're right, I didn't test that.

13161624_10204787328962505_1280963969_o.thumb.jpg.51d769db046bb198f1a8132d5d15b586.jpg

I was able to fix my "Infill Not Touching" issue by just replacing the PTFE Coupler, it was so odd because I was certain the Short Belts were causing it, I spent many days monitoring the Belt and I swear I found them to be not as well tensioned as I expected them to be, when I moved the axis by my hands, I noticed the Short Belts wobble, very minuscule but noticeable. I tried to tension them tons and tons of times but no avail.

Finally, I was fed up and replaced the Coupler as my last option and boy did it do the trick!

I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned this issue, for the longest I was certain that it was a belt issue but to my surprise it surely was an extrusion issue. Absolutely bizarre and unexpected.

Time to stock up that little shit.

13161624_10204787328962505_1280963969_o.thumb.jpg.51d769db046bb198f1a8132d5d15b586.jpg

Edited by Guest

ok, i'll report in.. i have it on all 3 printers.. the oldest one has it more than the younger ones..

i replaced everything.. they are all UM2+ printers (upgrade kit).. only thing I did not replace are the belts.. everything else is..

on white PLA it's super noticable, other materials not so much..