All Hail Gregoire Passault, master of the Raft!

Daid

Posted · All Hail Gregoire Passault, master of the Raft!

I've just uploaded an Cura 14.04-RC1 to:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

This version contains the fix for the external skin quality. An update UM2 firmware to slightly improve the start of the print. Slightly better bridge handling. And best of all, a new improved raft implementation!

(And easier support for delta-bots. And support for BFB printers. And some other minor stuff which will make some people happy, but most people won't care about)

This new raft was made and tweaked by Gregoire Passault. Known as Gregwar. Known for this "on the head" extruder mod for the UM2:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3261-ultimaker-2-extrusion-problem/&do=findComment&comment=46577

His improved raft implementation puts the raft quality up to the raft of Makerbot. With a clean separation, and a clean bottom surface. We've put in working defaults in the settings for PLA, and, as always, left a lot of tweakable room in the expert settings.

I currently do not know how well it works for ABS and Nylon. But I'm sure people will report back on that one.

(And there are even more settings to be exposed once I finally get to a working new UI)

I hope to move this information forwards toward a better support material implementation. But if that will happen, only the future will tell.

Awesome! I will try it ASAP! Thank you Daid, and long live Gregoire Passault!

does the pause at height work now on UM2? so i can finally change the filament while printing? :smile:

does the pause at height work now on UM2? so i can finally change the filament while printing? :smile:

Good point, I'll have a look at that today. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement the missing M code. (Kinda got lost off my radar)

Testing a complex print now with the new raft - I assume it's the new raft I never used one before :) Can I ask the purpose of the raft over a brim?

Oh, one more thing. Cura says 6 hours for this print, the UM2 says 19. I updated the firmware with this new version of Cura.

I'm getting a huge amount of stringing and missed layers with the new Cura and the latest firmware. I'll let this print finish then try a known good set of GCode.

Hey Diad, I've been messing with the 14.04RC1 and the accompanying firmware. I really like the new start-up sequence, it's pretty slick and controls the priming filament well. There is a small problem I've been having with the start-up sequence though, it tries to pump out the filament too quickly and the extruder motor ends up grinding the filament down so much so that the knurled driving wheel cannot translate the filament at all. I think the green Ultimaker filament is more susceptible to grinding than the other colors are, so take that for what it's worth I suppose. I'll eventually get some different colors in there to see if I get the same problems.

I'm just doing my very first print with the new volumetric RepRap flavour on my UM1. I'm using a Marlin version with firmware retraction enabled (my UM1 now understands G10/G11 commands :p ). It works like a charm so far.

I've put two M200 (one for each extruder) into my start.gcode to define the filament diameters. However I found some retract/priming features of my start.gcode/end.gcode have to be adjusted... ;)

The print feeling smells a tiny little bit like Ultimaker2... :lol:

Nice job, Daid!

o.O In the newest version is an option to select a heated bed kit.

Is this a hint? =)

I guess you mean the heated bed option in the machine settings? It's there for quite a while... ;)

But it's a quite open secret that UM is working on a heated bed kit for the UM1. I expect them to present it at the Maker Faire Bay Area mid of May.

Yes I mean this one. But there is a new option.

14.05RC2

:ph34r: I tried to be a ninja and failed.

(We're entering a testing phase of the heated bed kit. I have no ETA on when it will be available. Beta testers have already been selected. Yes, this stuff is late, but better later then never)

I like the new start routine, it's a bit surprising the first time because i used to grab the filament to avoid it messing the first layers.

:ph34r: I tried to be a ninja and failed.

That's the disadvantage of having a forum full of clever members... :p

But it's a small disadvantage compared to the advantages, isn't it? ;)

That's the disadvantage of having a forum full of clever members... :p

But it's a small disadvantage compared to the advantages, isn't it? ;)

Yes it is :D

Stuff has changed, a year ago I could silently work in a branch and nobody would notice. Now I feel like my fingers are watched ;-)

But, if you want to look at my latest work https://github.com/daid/Cura2

Lots of stuff happening there.

Just asking,

Has something change concerning the Brim? I've noticed on two objects printed using this version that the brim doesn't really follow the contour of the object.

It seems to happen only when some type of support is needed (with both support settings)

gNj1p87.png

Is the GCode for the new start sequence available, as in can somebody point me to it? I'm trying Slic3r to test print quality and want to use the Cura start sequence. Ta :)

Trying out the 14.05 versions on a Mac, USB printing. It appears that RC2 has communication problems that weren't there in RC1. For instance, the "upgrade firmware" dialog works as usual in RC1, but hangs with RC2.

The upgrade firmware hang happens under Win7 x64 too.

Odd, as there are zero changes in that part.

Thanks Daid ;-)

really appreciate your update !! Thanks