All Hail Gregoire Passault, master of the Raft!

Daid

Posted · All Hail Gregoire Passault, master of the Raft!

Hi this is cool, it means you can print directly to acrylic board.

I set the line spacing to 5mm and 2mm wide for the first layer at 10mm/sec (base thickness 0.3mm) this sticks really well to acrylic but comes of easily when finished with a knife and paint scraper.

You need the fan on during the Air gap layer of the first layer of the actual print or it sticks to the raft. I set cooling on during all layers... but I think this might be better to have on only when using this raft, because cooling is bad when using tape for the first layer.

I dont think the interface layers are smooth enough, would it be a good idea if the head ran over the top again and didnt extrude, letting the nozzle tip smooth the surface again.

Maybe if it did one interface layer and then just ran the head over the top

I also noticed when I set the first layer to 10mm/sec the two interface layers went very slowly... i think the same speed as the first layer setting, when it could be going much quicker. This adds a lot of time to the print that people may get sick of.

Im not sure but shouldn't the air gap setting be a percentage of the layer height rather than one height setting?

The fan needs to be on for the AirGap layer to stop the filament sticking to the interface layer, the only way to do this is to set the fan to always on. Maybe its a good idea to automatically have the fan always on when you select the new raft?

These are just a few things I noticed and might be of use to you other then that its a well needed feature! The main thing is being able to set the speed of base layers and interface layers

Great job! Thanks

If I use the volumetric RepRap profile with Cura 14.05rc2 a G11 is written directly after the ;SKIRT comment. As there is no G10 in my start.gcode, it results in a very ugly blob... :eek:

I'll check if I can handle it in Marlin, but IMHO the G11 is unnecessary at this point in the GCODE.

If I use the volumetric RepRap profile with Cura 14.05rc2 a G11 is written directly after the ;SKIRT comment. As there is no G10 in my start.gcode, it results in a very ugly blob... :eek:

I'll check if I can handle it in Marlin, but IMHO the G11 is unnecessary at this point in the GCODE.

Yes, that doesn't sound correct. Most likely this is also added in the UM2 gcode, but, there it doesn't do much due to slight changes how the G10 and G11 are handled.

I found a work-around by putting a G11 into the start.gcode, quite at the beginning. This turns the G11 after the Skirt-comment useless as the retracted-variable in Marlin is already set to false.

The priming is provoked by a G10 at the end of a previously executed GCODE which also originates from Cura and is not part of the end.gcode.

I just found some other minor bug with the volumetric RepRap flavour: It seems that the filament calculation still relies on the distance calculation instead of volume calculation (you get a number about three times as large).

OK, tried the raft a few times and now can certainly add my token of the gratitude to Gregoire Passault and Daid.

Works very well. Sticks to the glass without any glue. Keeps the printed parts in place, but they are easy to detach after the print, and have nice bottom surface. Perfect!

My appreciations.

I'm just doing my very first print with the new volumetric RepRap flavour on my UM1.

Can you describe what needs to be done to support the volumetric mode of the firmware?

I simply switched to it and well it didn't go well!!!

Thanks.

Is it uncommenting this in the configuration_adv.h?

// #define FWRETRACT //ONLY PARTIALLY TESTED

And then start by copying the retract settings and using the controller to set or using M207 and M208 ?

I tried the raft but couldn't separate the print from the raft. Any suggestions? UM1 at the defaults but with a heated bed. Temps were 220/70. Trying a second time @ 220/50.

Second attempt had the same problem. The raft and the part are basically one can can't be separated.

This is a UM1 using ProtoParadigm's red PLA.

Is it uncommenting this in the configuration_adv.h?

// #define FWRETRACT //ONLY PARTIALLY TESTED

And then start by copying the retract settings and using the controller to set or using M207 and M208 ?

Yes, you have to uncomment the FW retract. I just changed the default values to the values I usually use for retraction. But you have also to specify the filament diameter by an M200 in the start.gcode.

Ahhh that is probably the part I'm missing. My attempts to use the volumetric stuff has the material feeding like crazy!!! So hopefully that is address with the M200.

Thank you.

Odd, as there are zero changes in that part.

Daid,

I don't know if this helps but....

The "Install default firmware,,," menu item just opens a progress dialog that just sits are "Reading firmware...."

However, "Install custom firmware" works fine.

I chose Ultimaker with custom heated bed and I wonder if that trips up the "default" firmware upload. Is there even a valid "default" firmware for the UM1 + custom bed solution?

Can you describe what needs to be done to support the volumetric mode of the firmware?

This mode is still very experimental and needs latest firmware features that people are working on. It's not something that is supported out of the box right now, it's an "in development" feature.

Also, the default firmware install in the latest RC is broken, I messed up the filenames while adding the heated-bed firmware. Sorry.

No problem Daid. I wasn't complaining. Betas have bugs. I was just giving you more information in case you were still trying to determine why it wasn't working.

With the latest firmware built from the latest source, the beta Cura and the changes mentioned by Dim3nsioneer, the volumetric stuff seems to work.

However, I've yet to print a part with a lot of retracts so we will see how that goes.

The UM1 firmware update problem appears fixed in the latest RC.