Feature Request: Allow to turn off Fan behind Extruder...

netsrac

Posted · Feature Request: Allow to turn off Fan behind Extruder...

The fan behind the Extruder (not the two side fans blowing on the print surface) is a noisy tiny devil. I hope this can be controlled via software.

So a feature request would be to turn off this fan after nozzle and bed has been cooled down.

It's the only noisy part on the UM2 and after a long print, you just want it to be quite.

• Like 3

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken that fan is hard wired to power so it cannot be controlled via software. A future version of the electronics will offer this feature but I don't know how far into the future that is.

I don't find it all that noisy though to be honest, certainly more quiet than the electronics fan on the UM1. Have you checked that there isn't something rubbing on it and that the screws are nice and tight?

There is also a compatible fan made my the same company which is, to all intents and purposes, silent. I have this on my printer, after I accidentally destroyed the stock one:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MC25060V2-000U-A99/259-1573-ND/2757803

Digikey won't sell to Europe. I gather the European distributor is TME.

Thanks for the hint with the replacement fan. I found this type on Amazon (where else when you are looking for exotic things).

I might order it and replace the internal noisy one when time allows.

How complicated is it to swap the fan?

You can remove the old one by just undoing a couple of screws. I think the replacement fan comes with just bare wires (it's been a while since I installed mine), so you'll need to either crimp on new connectors, or else solder on the connector off the old fan. Then slide it back into place, reattach two screws and hook up and tidy the wires above the hot end.

The mechanical assembly is trivial. It's the electronics that is tricky if you have never soldered before.

BTW, this doesn't work for the outrigger fans - the Smaller MagLev fans don't work with PWM.

For me this fan isn't noisy except when the head is parked at the start point. It's seems to me that the noise comes more from something vibrating in that corner than from the fan.

Another solution is to switch the printer off no more noise :mrgreen:

Right, especially when you are running a long print....which ends somewhere at night, so you want the printer to turn off all noisy parts.

It's so fun that you can control unuseful things like the LED brightness and behavior, but you can not turn off this damn fan :-(

Another solution is to switch the printer off no more noise :mrgreen:

You may not be able to turn off the fan but you do have the ability to make it quieter. Mine is so quiet I can't hear it more than 10 inches away. The refrigerator 2 rooms away is noisier. Cars driving by 2 blocks away with windows in house closed are noisier. I have to touch it to be sure if it's on or off.

How can I make it quieter?

Mine is also noisy, and agree completely that when the print has finished it should be off.

I remove the sticker to try if it was out of balance but it didnt help, it is noisy probably because it is running really fast in my ultimaker, any idea?

Thank you

Replace the 25mm fan. Apparently the fans in some batches of UM2 were unacceptably louder than others.

If you live in USA you can get a good replacement here:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MC25060V2-000U-A99/259-1573-ND/2757803

• Like 1

netsrac- Is this the fan you found on Amazon?

http://amzn.com/B004XCWXW4

Also, here is what my fan sounds like. My iPhone mic does not pick it up that well, but I can assure you that it's pretty loud. Registering over 60dB according to Decibel 10th app that I use on iPhone:

I bought it at Amazon in Germany - it was this one:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006WXART8/

Anybody know what kind of connecter is attached to the original fan? Any way to get it somewhere?

I don't wanna disassamble by UM2 just to find out that I do not have the right connector available.

It's so fun that you can control unuseful things like the LED brightness and behavior, but you can not turn off this damn fan :sad:

Well, the 5V back fan was a quite "last months" change thing. The electronics where tested and produced a few months before that (they where actually the first piece finalized). And changing electronics requires a lot of testing due to regulation. (CE and FCC are fun...)

Potentially you could abuse the LED output to control that fan. But the LED output is 24V, and the default fan is 5V. So you would need to do some hacking to convert to the proper levels.

The connectors are JST connectors. Quite common.

My fan was extremely loud and I asked for a replacement. After I took the first fan off, I noticed that it was much quieter (but still loud). The second fan was very very quiet when not mounted and loud when attached to the head.

Just undo the fan and check the loudness.

Still didn't know what's the easiest way to replace this fan. It looks like I need to completely disassemble the head in order to reach the screws to swap the fan...

Can anyone give me a short description how to swap it?

Thanks...Netsrac

Unscrew the 4 top bolts on the head of the unit. The rest of the head should hang on with the cable connections. Just spin the head around and you will see two hex screws holding the fan on. You may even be able to reach them without unscrewing the top bolts.

Definitely remove the 4 long thumbscrews first. Changing the fan is the easiest thing to do on that head. Easier than messing with the nozzle even.

To see the fan connector you don't even have to do that, just slide up the black mesh and you can see all 3 fan connectors in there.

When removing the 2 screws holding in the heatsink be careful as the spring in there (it's obvious) is pretty strong so squeeze it together with one hand while removing the 2 screws with the other.

Click "raw" to see the um2 assembly manual:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/um2%20assembly%20manual%20V1.1%20_english.pdf

Hi,

I did ordered the fan gr5 sugested from ebay, it came from a german shop "it-tronics.de", it is very easy to remove and plug the new one, you dont need to remove the 4 long thumbscrews at all, just slide up the black mesh and move down a little all the cables, including the bigger ones going to the nozzle, remove the two screws for the fan and you have it.

All I can say is wow!! I have know a clear idea of whats the difference between noise and silence!!!

Now when I switch on the UM2 there is silence, before was really noisy, now I dont feel I need the rear fan to be off when UM2 finish printing, it is just no noise now!!

So go on and change your fan if it is noisy!

Anyone have a good way of separating that white plastic clip at the end of the fan wires? It's like I need mouse fingers to do it.

On another note, if I clip the wires, do I have to solder them together or can I just twist them and enclose them with a shrink wrap rubber sleeve?

You can probably just twist them, but solder would be better. If you grab the two sides of the connector, and wiggle back and forth (in a plane parallel to the two connectors) while pulling the two parts apart, they will open up.