Feature Request: Allow to turn off Fan behind Extruder...

netsrac

Posted · Feature Request: Allow to turn off Fan behind Extruder...

I looked but can't find an email or forum post stating 2.2 cfm for the original fan, but I remember clearly being concerned about it before ordering the replacement. I believe I had the model # of the original fan and found it on Digikey where it stated it was 2.2. Yes, I may be wrong, but I don't think I am. Because I remember clearly being elated to find that the replacement was also 2.2, which is why I ordered it.

Having said all that, I've had my new Sunon MC25060V2-000U-A99 fan in place since last August, 1/2 year, and everything has been fine with regards to the hot end. I am very happy with the print quality I am getting and I can't hear the fan at all.

It's not that the original fan was just louder by design. This sound was not normal. It was like there were tiny pieces of plastic caught in the bearings. Teeny tiny cats screeching all night and day. I understand what you say about ball/magnetic bearings. Regardless, if they are causing more noise than normal due to excess friction of some sort (dust in the bearings etc.), they are probably also running slower too. When I spoke to other UM2 owners about it, they didn't ever seem to notice that their fan was noisy. I believe some people received quiet fans and some received screechy, noisy fans. Doesn't mean they were different models. It's that simple. From the original post that #47 above points to:

...I did some reading tonight and found that the stock fan has a 3 CFM spec

Like I said above, I believe I too did "some reading" and looked up the original fan as well and found that it was 2.2 cfm. I don't have the original model number of my fan anymore. Are we 100% positive that every single machine always received the exact same model fan? If not, then this whole conversation is a bit silly.

I did find a post where Illuminarti (UM tech support in the US) states that he bought and uses the same fan I bought, and that it is same spec as the original.

A few posts after that, Daid states that Digikey refuses to export that model fan to them... which tells me it was ok for Ultimaker to seek out and put in their machines if they could get their hands on them.

FWIW, The replacement fan is fine. The cfm of the replacement fan is fine for it's designated purpose. I would much rather use this fan than try to cobble or hack a physically larger fan simply because of a few cfm more. Also, keep in mind that this fan was put in place to potentially cool two heads and we all only have one. So perhaps 3.0 cfm is "too much" for just one hot end?

Whichever fan you buy, I hope it is not loud and screechy as my original fan was. May you have many beautiful prints free from any hot end strangeness due to too much or not enough air moving across the hot end :)

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All information about the CFM of the original fan is "2nd hand" with no real confirmed source. It may be 2.2CFM or 3CFM. Judging by the numbers on my fan I was making an "educated guess" that it is 3CFM... but it is still a guess.

Regarding how important the fan speed is, you are likely right that it does not make difference if it is 3 or 2 CFM. I especially like your argument about fan being designed for dual extruder. In the end less airflow means that the heater probably has to work less hard and the PTFE spacer may be running a bit hotter - but its hottest point (and hence the weakest spot) will be the same temperature no matter what the airflow is.

As an extreme example I read somewhere that some UM2 were shipped with reversed polarity wires for the fan which was then not running at all. Someone was even printing for months without the fan. Once the fan was running the quality of the prints improved... but this was no fan compared to full fan.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I ordered me this fan for the back. If I replace the fan I would also like to change the two sides fans for quieter ones . Could someone tell me what fans I need to for order?

That goes beyond my knowledge, I confess...

I know I read about this somewhere else in this forum, just can't find it anymore, sorry!

Afaik the side fans must feature 12v and pwm ability.

illuminarti said:

The side fans are 12V, the rear fan is 5V. If you really want to replace them, you might check for low-decibel (and for the side fans, PWM-controllable) fans made by e.g., Sunon in the appropriate dimensions

Problem is i can't find a Fan that is matching all the specs..

I too a noisy rear fan, so I ordered the recommended Sunco fan and all I can say is wow! Having never taken apart an ultimaker head, it was pretty easy to replace and the sound difference is stunning. When I first turned on the printer, I thought maybe the solder joints were broken because I couldn't hear a thing. This fan is silent.

Very worthy $8. Thank you guys for the help

• Like 1

Just a comment for neil1138. You didn't have to take the head apart. You can snake the connector out and feed it back in without any problem (I feed the cable up the right side of the print head, no cables in the way there). Needle nose pliers is helpful to grab the old fan and pull it out. I've replaced the fan on "a few" printers now so I'm pretty good at it :p

• Like 1

I thought mine were loud too, 67dB so order a replacement fan, I also ordered some plugs and crimps as well to finish the job.

I also found another plug under the mesh not connected but must be ready for a future upgrade!

Hey guys, just a little update with the replacement fan. I have this one (from Europe) - MC25060V2-000U-A99

And changed the PTFE coupler a few weeks ago. I did only moderate printing and the coupler is done for. The cylinder test failed at around 5mm^3/s.

Then I changed the coupler again a few days ago (bought a few spare ones before - the glass reinforced ones) and now judging from the filament shape (the cone shaped tip when changing filament), I can clearly see that this new coupler show some wear too. I dread to print the cylinder test again but I can already see some underextrusion on the latest prints...

Don't know what to make of it. I am not completely convinced it is the little fan's fault. I checked that it is on (hard to tell - it is still that quiet).

I think I'll go with the 3CFM version. Can't hurt to have more cooling. MC25100V2-000U-A99

I did about 300-400 hours with the same fan from digikey and the prints are still great. Must be something else.

Today I have also installed the new fan. ( MC25060V2 - A99 ) It is extremely quiet.

The first print with it looked like before although the cooling capacity is significantly less.

Maybe the stronger one would be better to conserve the coupler?

or just get the IPM Coupler from 3D solex

or just get the IPM Coupler from 3D solex

"Not for sale yet. In testing"

Posted (edited) · Feature Request: Allow to turn off Fan behind Extruder...

Here is an easy to realize modification proposal:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/9180-um2-rearfan-automatic-the-um2-silence-and-i-in-my-little-living-room

Any modification proposals have been tested over many weeks, and then I have published it. There are no nasty surprises when correctly implemented, this modification.

If you have no experience in electronics / soldering yourself, then please a friend or colleague for assistance.

many Greetings

Markus ((mnis))

Edited by Guest

Changing the original fan with the Sunco one was the best thing I could do. I don't really know anything about electronics, but changing it looked so easy that I couldn't resist. The change was amazing.

I will never stop recommending changing noisy rear-fans.

Mount a tiny switch on it with superglue, so you can turn it off manually.

Posted (edited) · Feature Request: Allow to turn off Fan behind Extruder...

I have replaced the fan with the Sunon MC25100V2-A99.

The new fan is a lot quieter and there is no high vibration like with the original fan.

Here is a loundness comparison:

Edited by Guest

Is the MC25100V2-A99 recommended over the lower CFM version (MC25060V2 - A99)?

Now that I'm using my Home Office (where my UM2 lives) for more office'y stuff, I was looking to reduce the loud noise of my original extruder fan.