Is ColorFabb the best PLA?

fingerpuk

Posted · Is ColorFabb the best PLA?

Topic says it all.

Want to order some filament, although I have a roll and half here, because I think the filament that comes with the printer isn't that great and the stuff I got given for free from the store is unbranded and I suspect not that great either :)

Cheers.

colorfabb is supposed to be great yes, also you have faberdashery in the uk which is supposed to also be great... They sell by the meter and you can get a "rainbow funpack with 10 m. of each of their top ten colors (100 m. total) for 22£

Try them out... its the best way to know really... :)

I also prefer Faberdashery to Colorfabb. I've had a couple of rolls of Colorfabb for a long time but I was never quite happy with them so they're now collecting dust. But lots and lots of people love their filament so maybe I was just unlucky.

Sweet, will order now :) Cheers all.

One thing, they don't come on spools, how do you keep the flow nice?

I use this under my printer i made the spool holder and the spool is on https://www.youmagine.com/designs/adjustable-heavy-duty-filament-spool

spool And holder

Woofysplace took some of my design and put one together and placed it on youmagine

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/spool-holder-for-loose-filament

illuminarti uses a lazy Susan i believe

I use a lazy floor ;) I check up on it every couple of hours to make sure there aren't any tangles and loosen up the top coils so that there's plenty of free filament to suck in.

Any faberdashery suppliers in the US these days?

I have great results with colorfabb, never tried faberdashery mainly because they don't come on spools and i'm lazy ^^.

With colorfabb i get very smooth results when printing at 0.1 and under.

for the best quality id also have to say Faberdashery

Colorfabb have some fantastic filaments but also one or two.. not so good.

I got a large roll of white 3mm PLA that was totally useless.. but the other filaments were great !

Ian :-)

Another Faberdashery fan here, although not compared to ColorFabb as I've not tried them yet.

I use the spool holder that cor3ys linked to above.

I think faberdashery has the best quality filament. But does not come on a spool and is quite expensive.

Next I prefer Ultimaker stuff. Decent consistent quality. (And, for me, quite cheap :D)

The Colorfabb stuff seems a bit random in my experience. Some rolls are really good. But some print bad. But they have greatly improved over the past year.

Another Faberdashery fan. Have bought quite a lot from them now, mainly Black. The silver is nice and I have not used my Glow in The Dark Green yet lol.

Have tried colorfabb once but had a few problems, so haven't gone back to it since.

i have heard faberdashery are better, but (as you know by now) they do not come on spools :(

This means you have to make your own, and they wind it much wider, meaning someone like me with a space only just capable of fitting an ultimaker and a single spool in, has a problem with the larger spool requirements.

I've ordered some from Faberdashery, in fact I've ordered 5 colors to see what prints best. The grey stuff I have prints out alright but doesn't seem to give the best results.

As for the spools.. I originally printed the spool holder that we have seen around this forum a few times... but after my first TWIST event, I ended up untangling everything and now I just leave the spool of filament on the floor whilst printing. Works fine :)

The spool holder is the best way for me to use faberdashery filament. My printer is located at my workplace and I need to leave it running unattended overnight, so I absolutely must have a reliable filament delivery. It's also why I use an old smartphone to monitor the print from home, and my home made remote power switch to kill it if things go wrong.

If you are able to pop your head through the door every hour or so then I see no reason not to just place it on the floor as others are doing.

Currently I am using Innofil, Ultimaker, Colorfabb and Faberdashery filament. Faberdashery is the best but Colorfabb follows really close to it. So my ranking is:

1. Faberdashery

2. Colorfabb

3. Ultimaker

4. Innofil

One more interesting thing for me is the price. So I went ahead and calculated the prices/gram (in EURO-Cent, without shipping, including German Tax)

Faberdashery: 3.26 - 4.22 Cent/gram (depends on color and amount)

Colorfabb: 4.84 Cent/gram

Ultimaker: 4.99 Cent/gram

Innofil: 3.46 Cent/gram

So faberdashery is the absolute winner, because it ist more affordable than most of the competitors.

This is how I solved the 'no-reel-problem' on faberdashery filament: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:179804

It works fine :)

Cheers,

Joerg

PS: No, I'm not payed by faberdashery I'm just convinced about their quality :p

Interesting price comparison Joerg! Most people comment that Faberdashery is expensive, but actually gram for gram its cheaper. Nice job.

Faberdashery works out more expensive if you buy it by the meter if you buy a whole 100m of one color then it is very reasonable priced...

But whatever you do, don't buy their rainbow pack.

At £22 per meter, its a teensie bit expensive!

:twisted: :grin: :p

I guess it also depends on shipping costs i don't know about faberdashery but colorfabb ships for free if you buy 4 spools or more (for europe).

And for a coil of 85 meters (about 748g or 542cc) from faberdashery you pay 29.75 pounds without shipping (36.18€)

Same amount for colorfabb is 36.30€ so yes 0.12€ more :mrgreen:

for me in the UK

4 coils (3520g) of white from faberdashey plus shipping £108

4 spools (3000g) of white colorfabbs free shipping € 145