Strange artifacts (seems like 'ringing' - but maybe not?) - Ultimaker 2

johna

Posted · Strange artifacts (seems like 'ringing' - but maybe not?) - Ultimaker 2

Printed a plate of Kossel parts last night. Used 100% stock settings ('Normal') print quality / speed / etc....

Low res:

ArGPbuNl.jpg?1

Higher resolution:

http://i.imgur.com/ArGPbuN.jpg?1

Look at the right side where it says 'Kossel' - there's basically an echo of each letter a few times. Same with all of the holes in the piece.

Posted · Strange artifacts (seems like 'ringing' - but maybe not?) - Ultimaker 2

Yeah, that was suggested in another one of my posts. I know I lowered it, but maybe I need to go lower still.

I make a lot of hard edged stuff and this plauges me all the time. I have acceleration lowered to around 1500 and it produces happy results for me. on a UM1 anyway.. substantially less shaking too.

Illuminarti's extrusion test is a sensitive test of ringing. You can see the differences as it gets faster up the column, and compare ringing quantitatively before and after a change.

morning guys !

yeah I get that a lot when i have a lot of windows and openings in my outside building wall models.. the print head moves around for the openings and then the movement carries on over to the wall on the right a little.

If the model is small and needs to be perfect, it has to be printed painfully slowly... sadly if this is a a large part, then you have to print slow and it will take.. a long time...

Maybe this has also something to do with the fact that the tip of the hotend, the nozzle is so far away away from the centre of the axis it is moving on. So any vibration is increasted because you have a print head waving from its high fixed axis?

Ian :smile:

The 'shadows' are created by sudden changes in direction. The head is still 'setteling' back, but its already being forced in another direction. This creates a fairly distinctive wobble.

Decreasing the acceleration and jerk (acceleration of the acceleration) should fix this.

So it seems like maybe I didn't lower it, or I've done a factory reset since then. Just lowered it to 3000, will try same print again tonight and see what it looks like.

Lowered accel from 5,000 to 3,000. Results are better in the ringing, but... maybe not better overall?

Check this out:

d3xXEVrm.jpg

Higher resolution: http://i.imgur.com/d3xXEVr.jpg

The 'shadow' from the text went away, but the rest of the quality seems to have changed also.

Did you try to lower the jerk?