Print finished too soon, top cut off.

braddock

Posted · Print finished too soon, top cut off.

Hi guys,

This part is 191.83mm tall, but for some reason it stopped printing at 172mm

Quite annoying as it printed perfectly.

I dont want to waste a 25 hour print, so I'll just try and figure out where it stopped and print the remaining section.

Can anyone confirm the UM2 prints all the way to it's build volume of 230mm tall?

Too tall

The maximum height is 205mm, so it should have fit. Did you check the file on the SD card? Usually when this happens, the problem is that the file didn't get fully written before the card was pulled out.

The file should end with an M25, and then the long comment with the settings encoded in...?

Yeah, just drop it into any text editor. I'm a fan of Sublime Text myself.

Also, if you haven't already, check the layer view in cura and make sure everything looks good there as well.

Well really!

I was about to make a post on the very same issue. I had a print running all last night, and when I looked at it this morning this is what I found.

dragon.jpg

The print looked as though it finished properly with the head parking itself, but.....

I loaded the gcode back into cura to look at and sure enough it stops at the same place the print did, there is no more gcode.

I scliced it with 14.01, and I've been trying to reproduce the fault with no luck. I've just re-sliced and I'm now printing it again, having checked the gcode this time. I've no idea how it happened.

Looks as if you had a visit by a dragonslayer this night... :shock:

This is not something UM2 specific as I had the same effect on my UM1 some time ago. Are you writing directly from Cura to SD card or are you saving the file somewhere on the harddisk and then copy it to the SD card?

Usually it happens if the SD card is removed before it finished writing. Most OS's buffer writes to SD cards, because they are so slow (relatively speaking). So you have to properly eject the card via the OS and get confirmation that it's ok to proceed, before you remove it.

Of course it could also be a bug in Cura that prevents the entire file being written somehow, but personally I've never seen that.

damn that`s a shame woofy... looks like it was turning out ok too !

I still have the gcode but its on the card I'm printing from, I'll check it out when the print is finished. I have a USB card reader dongle that I use to transfer to the card via cura. I normally use the eject button but I couldn't swear I did this time.

It's on webcam if anyone has trouble sleeping tonight:

woofycam.dnsdynamic.net

port 8080

leave user name and password empty.

I only remove the card once Cura flashes up the message saying the save is complete, so unless it pops the message up before the data is completely written, it should have been all there.

Usually it happens if the SD card is removed before it finished writing. Most OS's buffer writes to SD cards, because they are so slow (relatively speaking). So you have to properly eject the card via the OS and get confirmation that it's ok to proceed, before you remove it.

Of course it could also be a bug in Cura that prevents the entire file being written somehow, but personally I've never seen that.

Cura says the save is complete when the OS has accepted all the data. Which is before the data has all been written to the card (since the OS handles that, and Cura has no way to know). On a Mac at least, when Cura flashes up that it has written the files, it provides an icon alongside the message to trigger a safe ejection of the SD card. That tells the operating system to finish writing the data, and then forget about the card. Once *that* finishes, then you can safely remove the card (and Cura brings up a message to that effect).

This is not something that is particularly specific to Cura - whenever you're working with flash media such as USB sticks, memory cards etc, you need to tell the OS to disconnect from the media before you physically disconnect it, to make sure that all the data has been written.

Cheers, I'll double check next time. I don't have a card reader, I plug my camera in and use that to get files back and forth.

I only remove the card once Cura flashes up the message saying the save is complete, so unless it pops the message up before the data is completely written, it should have been all there.

You need to press the eject button before pulling out the card. Else data might be missing and you get the above result.

As explained above, there is no way to guarantee all data is actually on the card other then safely ejecting it.

Here are the last few lines from the gcode that produced my failed print above.

G1 X110.39 Y71.40 E9299.37581

G1 X110.45 Y71.31 E9299.38026

G1 X110.58 Y71.14 E9299.38878

G1 X110.95 Y70.62 E9299.41435

G1 X111.20 Y70.33 E9299.42952

G1 X111.

It stops in the middle of a command, so I must have pulled the card without ejecting it.

@braddock

I use http://www.ebuyer.com/126448-veho-sd-to-usb-adapter-also-works-with-sdhc-mmc-vsd-001r. For the price, its great.

That eject button has never worked for me so I've just been pulling the card. So far it's been working. I'm living on the edge! ;)

Well i wasn't aware that you could eject an SD card safely ^^ how do you do this?

In Cura, when you click the save to SD button and it finishes saving, a little popup appears at the bottom of the screen with an eject button.

Ok :) thank you. I never figured that out

this message pops up before the file is fully written, so beware!

In Cura, when you click the save to SD button and it finishes saving, a little popup appears at the bottom of the screen with an eject button.

finally downloaded sublime text, and you guys are correct, the file wasn't complete.

Cheers!