The Ultimaker 2 seems to forget the perfect calibration setting

-104-

Posted · The Ultimaker 2 seems to forget the perfect calibration setting

Hi to the english forum

I will try my best, that you can understand me ;-)

I have an Ultimaker 2 and everything went perfect.

Then i rolled the Filament on a new coil, so that i use the strongly curled filament at first.

Then i opened the Backcover from the motor, to clean it. I put it together and it seems to work fine.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/842/a59rf.jpg

But now i have two problems.

When i print something, then the filament slips between thumb wheel during THE FIRST LAYER on the heatet build plate 3-4 times and the layer is a bit thinner then. When the Ultimaker starts the second layer it dont happenend.

My friend Markus from the German forum told me, that maybe its normal, because i used now the strongly curled filament.

The second (much bigger) problem is: I think that the Build Plate is out of calibration the next day. The day before its ok and the first layer is pressed on the build plate.

But the next day the noozle just puts small rolls side by side. Why?

Thanks to all readers an sorry for my bad english.

Best wishes

-104-

Hey guys

Just wanted to say that I have exactly the same issue with my Ultimaker 2.

It's really frustrating when you spend hours to calibrate it perfectly and the other day the prints look like crap and I'm sure than no one touched the printer (b'cause I'd kill em! ;-) ).

What I also noticed and do not know if it's normal that the print bed "hits" the bottom of the printer when it's

lowered to it's initial position. The two adjustment screws left also slight but noticeable scratches... normal?

However, I don't care about the scratches and the build plate hitting the bottom of the printer seems not to be the issue because all prints look perfect until you turn the printer off over night and want to use it the next day...

Thank you guys for your help and advice!

Rgds

Robert

Hey guys

Here some pictures of my toggle switch... you can clearly see where the long screw in the back "touches" it..

http://postimg.org/image/knwq5euxn/

And here some pictures of the scratches on the bottom of the Ultimaker where the adjustment screws of the buildplate hit it... (was like this already out of the box.. have no clue if this is normal):

http://postimg.org/image/6vbnrivt5/

http://postimg.org/image/wsgzv76s3/

Rgds

Robert

Please post pictures on the forum and not on other hosting services because a year from now your picture and link probalby won't work. To post here click on "gallery" on the top left of this page, then click "upload" button. Then post a new post (or edit your old post) and click "my media" next to smile icon.

You (probably both of you) definitely have a problem with the Z homing. I would start by bending that switch back. It should click when you push on it. You might want to check the cable to make sure it is plugged into the PCB at the other end and maybe also check it with a volt meter. Personally if I didn't see anything wrong and the voltmeter shows it change from infinite ohms to zero ohms when you click it then I would load up pronterface (it's free) and connect your UM2 to a computer with USB cable:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

I think pronterface will tell you if a limit switch is tripping properly. If it's not working this needs to be fixed or you will have to level every day!

Photo of my z limit switch:

z limit switch

When you first start a print it does the HOME procedure. I think also if you choose "lower bed" it probably also does it the first time. Also when you level it first does the HOME procedure.

If the home procedure is very noisy and hits the bottom hard, then there is something wrong with the Z limit switch in the picture above or something wrong with the wiring. However instead you might have something loose in your bed. See the video here (post #39)

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5218-bed-leveling-trouble-um2/?p=49660

If you have the same problem as in video then this explains your homing/leveling

issues. Read the posts after post #39 for solutions.

I have the same problem. If switch the printer off the calibration is forgotten.

Each time I switch the printer on I have to calibrate the bed.

I do not think is a problem with that position switch, but I will have a look.

I do not think is a problem with that position switch, but I will have a look.

TWO possible problems were explained above. Not one.

1) Homing switch

2) Loose bed screws.

Please re-read posts above.