Summer Design Project

omar-abuhabaya

Posted · Summer Design Project

Hey guys.

I thought it would be fun to work together on a design project over summer. We are not always going to get the chance to work in such an awesome people.

A list of interesting projects that we could work on and vote.

Submarine

Quadcopter

Back Supporter Equipment

Filament Extruder

Make a 3D Print using UM2

You guys could add more options and vote

We are MSc Mechanical Engineering Design students at the University of Manchester

Hey guys.

I thought it would be fun to work together on a design project over summer. We are not always going to get the chance to work in such an awesome people.

A list of interesting projects that we could work on and vote.

Submarine

Quadcopter

Back Supporter Equipment

Filament Extruder

Make a 3D Print using UM2

You guys could add more options and vote

We are MSc Mechanical Engineering Design students at the University of Manchester

Could you pls explain what these 3 mean in detail?

Filament Extruder (a real filament producing machine or a improved Version of the Extruder for the UM2?)

Make a 3D Print using UM2 (A Guide?)

Back Supporter Equipment(?)

Maybe you guys could get another nice project what has been on my list for a while but is not due till i think something like late fall this year:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4811-thinking-about-redesigning-the-side-fan-trays-for-um2/

Have you looked at OpenROV? I'd like that but more capable. I'm totally up for helping build it.

GREAT, a submarine! I would help with that! (with electronics ?) Extruder also.

IS the plan to build as much as possible on the printer? If we decide to do circuit boards I have a baby CNC mill that can do those.

I am craving for a tethered submarine. Arduino control board, a shed loaf of lights and a GoPro mount on the front. We could take the Arducopter which has excellent stability controls and modify the settings to suit a sub, so it could keep itself in position.

You could even print the submarine. I've been able to get PLA to be water proof with some PVC glue. Would make for an interesting project.

Would be really interested in making a ROV, like some sort of an underwater multirotor. (controlwise)

I see a pattern forming. How do we get this rolling? Who's going to handle electronic design?

In terms of what I can offer, I have a printer, a baby CNC, and much CAD experience. I do code but as that's my day job I'd prefer to do something else in my spare time :)

Here are the CAD files for OpenROV - could be a god place to start.

https://github.com/OpenROV/openrov-hardware/tree/master/CAD_Files_OpenROV_v2_5

Motors just running in the water?? :???: Maybe magnetic coupling instead?

I've got a CNC mill too, but no programming experience. Just arduino's gathering dust.. :-P

I think we need to figure out a way to have the motors internal, then maybe an oil bearing to stop the ager getting in. Although if we were to make the fitting tight enough two bearings rather side of the gap should keep water out.

I guess, if we are to do this, we should write up a list of requirements we need to build around. And of course to make sure the OP is up for it still :)

My mate is an electrical engineer and has access to very impressive gear, he's agreed to help.

Motors just running in the water?? :???: Maybe magnetic coupling instead?

I've got a CNC mill too, but no programming experience. Just arduino's gathering dust.. :-P

Magnetic coupler seems to be bang on, good shout :)

Hi guys, sorry for not responding to your question I've lots of course this week, i'll answer all the questions by the end of next week.

thanks

Well the problems with those brushless motors isn't in the windings, they are coated and they could withstand some abuse. It's the ball bearings I'm worried about, especially when used in saltwater. And I don't think the motor housing would be that resistant to corrosion.

But then again, they're just $10-15 motors.

You solved the problem already with magnetic couplers :) It even sounds cool.

Found an interesting project from someone in Norway while searching magnetic couplers for ROV;

http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/rovforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=963

http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/rovforum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1116

Ye, that's nice. Wondering how much of this could be done with a 3D printer? Wondering if a resin printer would be better? I guess ABS which is vapour treated would be ok but mechanical tolerances would suffer.

Make a model about 1x1x1m, split it into 100 parts, and let everyone on the forum print one of those small parts and set it to someone who assemble it. Now that would be an awesome community project.

I've been doing lots of research, I think the main cabin will need to be a plastic cylinder. I would be happy to print the ends and use O-Rings to keep water out, but I don't think we could print larger watertight structures. But I could be very wrong here.

For control, you can have many motors, motors that move, or motors with control planes on them. Guessing we'll go with option 1? Two for main propulsion and two for ascend and descend?

How do people feel about Lipo batteries? If they get wet they may explode. Or we could use safer but less capable NIMH which are internally fused. Personally I'd be happy to put 2x Lipos in there to weigh it down and just double wrap them. If people want to add arms and cameras the extra weight of the Lipos would be useful to offset the weight of the attachments maybe.

Very early thoughts only of course.

Anything going on with this?

Anything going on with this?

Well we can always start our own group project!

We can, how do we start. I no longer have a printer but that shouldn't stop us as much of this I impinge will be off the shelf bits - tubing etc.