Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
DidierKlein

Feeder grinding on startup while plate is leveled up

Hi all,

Just noticed something odd.

Since yesterday i'm having a little trouble on the startup of some of my prints.

I just had one print start and the filament was nearly cut in two by the feeder.

I use Robert's design so it's easy to clean.

This is what i noticed.

It's the new startup routine.

The feeder turns like hell while the buildplate is leveled up. It doesn't seem to happen on every print (will have to confirm that).

Any ideas?

Is this gcode related or firmware or hardware??

Thanks

I think it's because it tries to advance the filament 25mm very fast at the start. When a print has aborted, or filament has just been loaded, the filament is already retracted 20mm, so it's not so bad.

However, I don't think the 20mm retraction happens when a print ends normally. So this problem may happen more if you try printing straight after another print, without doing reloading filament, or doing an abort??

It seems to be random as far as i can tell.

I will try to write down the circumstances for the following times this happens.

The thing is that it doesn't happen during the heating up.

It doesn't happen when the nozzle is primed (the 25mm you refer too illuminati i guess)?

It happens when the plate is lifting up before the nozzle is primed. The feeder's wheel turns at the same time. The it stops. And it turns again to prime the nozzle.

So it's a complete unexpected behaviour from my point of view.

It seems to be random as far as i can tell.

I will try to write down the circumstances for the following times this happens.

The thing is that it doesn't happen during the heating up.

It doesn't happen when the nozzle is primed (the 25mm you refer too illuminati i guess)?

It happens when the plate is lifting up before the nozzle is primed. The feeder's wheel turns at the same time. The it stops. And it turns again to prime the nozzle.

So it's a complete unexpected behaviour from my point of view.

You might need a higher force pressing against the knurled wheel. Normally the motor should slip instead of grinding. What happened with you was that the knurls could not grab deep enough into the filament and thus lost traction and grinded the filament away.

Ok it's possible but i don't understand why it does this at some moments and not at others...

Because it isn't needed, if i snap the guide on (with robert's feeder) after that the print goes without problems. Why would it want to feed so much filament before starting? And mostly why not all the time?

Just go it again, it looks to be related to a strange noise when the bed is leveled up.

Canceled the print restarted again no problem.

I adjusted the pression of the wheel.

It happened again but this time the feeder skipped and the filament wasn't grinded so much. I still need to adjust it a bit i guess.

I don't know if it's something that's new or that it happened before the feeder upgrade to robert's design. I guess it could be happening but because the feeder was skipping i didn't pay attention.

Still wondering why the feeder does that occasionnaly...