ColorFabb testing Metalfill Bronze

Posted · ColorFabb testing Metalfill Bronze

My girlfriend is really bugging me lately, to marry her! I have been putting it off for a long time because I don't want to pay for a ring haha... maybe this will be her solution. Please keep it quiet :)

• Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last ring for now, I'll continue with other objects.

Some people here got addicted to printing cylinders ... I will try to avoid getting addicted to polishing rings.

It looks like my LED desk lamp completely lacks this specific blue wavelength.

gallery_5589_458_744273.jpggallery_5589_458_502168.jpg

LOTR is immediately where my mind went...

@ skint - same issue at my home front... :-)

But I guess such a unique handmade ring might be a suitable solution

Guys... don't let these opportunities slip too often. You might regret it and no cool tech in the world will be able to fill the void (sad panda speaking from experience).

@drayson nice one. I don't think my g/f would ever forgive me if I handed her a plastic ring that I sanded down myself for 3 days haha.

Nico... awww whenever we meet at an ultimaker event, I`m gonna give you such a massive man hug :p

Thanks man.

If I'd said "I am looking forward to it" - I know the bromance talk would start again and then I'd get nervous and would have to look at hot ladies on the web just to cool off :D

bhahahahaa

I fail to get the same polish as foehnsturm... it was a quick attempt to show it at my fablab tomorrow :p

The best I got was with steel wool, with the ring placed on a rod in a drill at slow speed (I am lazy).

Re-heating with hot air gives more reflection on the bronze particles, but I do not get the varnish aspect.

Also I confirm, how shiny it is vastly depends on the light and direction.

IMG 9977 bronze detail

My girlfriend is really bugging me lately, to marry her! I have been putting it off for a long time because I don't want to pay for a ring haha... maybe this will be her solution. Please keep it quiet :)

Shapeways has silver and gold. Bit more expensive, but I think still a lot cheaper then custom wedding rings.

:-)

ha, shapeways... no, I have the best machine ever at home :-)

don´t underestimate "highly personalized and build with blood&sweat and lot of effort" made things..

I think, my GF would like it (as an intermediate solution - of course :-) )

I think, Markus shall post a detailed "how to" / "ring101" to assist in understanding the polishing procedure - isn´t...

@Markus - please... imagine, somebody´s future might depend on this...

Polishing cubes instead ...

A loaded dice, half ColorFabb Bronze (three times as heavy) and half BioFila Linen.

A serious empirical study with 20 throws showed seven times a 6 and only one 1. Children will love it.

gallery_5589_458_320367.jpg

A serious empirical study with 20 throws

Wow. Must have taken you all day, lol.

@foehnsturm: Children will only love it if they are allow to use this dice but not the adults... ;)

seriously: I see some bumps in the BioFila Linen. Is this due to some tweaking while printing or to a diameter variation?

I raised temperature from 180 to 205°C and played with flow rate. It prints well at 180°C but I saw some underextrusion. The recommended temperature is 175°C up to > 210°C. Quite a large range and I'm still not sure what is best for the smooth surface I wanted here.

Another well-suited use of bronze... I ran out of mine but I was given a small 1-2 meters only, too bad :p

I also think this filament is very tolerant and quite easy to print, one good point!

I also think this filament is very tolerant and quite easy to print, one good point!

Absolutely true, it lays down somewhat paste-like. Overhangs prints at least as good as regular PLA.

The more I try filled PLA or other stuff like BioFila the more I like it: Other material properties, new surface feel - overall less plastic-like appearance.

Yes, previous question about wear produced by the filament is not answered.

We've been testing bronzeFill for three weeks now on a UM original and haven't seen wear related issues. Every now and then I switch back to PLA/PHA and check if the print quality still looks the same. Then again it's a very difficult thing to actually measure, if the filament would cause the nozzle to wear out quickly we would have noticed by now :) The UM original must have printed about 1,5 kg of the stuff.

@jeremie nice looking ring! Regular copper polish worked well for me.

@foehnsturm the load dice is a cool example! Inspired us to print a few dices at the Haxpo this week. Also the Inception top is good idea, think I might make a few of those myself too :) Thanks for all the testing, great work!

All those prints are looking fantastic!

Let's just skip the bronze and get to the good stuff.....GOLD.

I'd be happy to play with the bronze stuff first...

@colorfabb: any ETA for the bronze filament?

Yeah c`mon colorfabb, at the moment I have NO colorfabb filament in my office... show me the bronze!! :p