ColorFabb testing Metalfill Bronze

Posted · ColorFabb testing Metalfill Bronze

I've tried mine today and must sadly say forgot about it

1. I had a hard time to get loaded it because halfway is was stucked in the feeder several times.

2. after a lot of tried of loading( half spool ) i manged somehow to print with it. 30 min then nothing comes out anymore.

printing with 260 C didn't sovled the problem. Now i need a new nozzle.

Never again

I will trow mine at the dump or does anybody know something useful with it.

• Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey schneck007, before you throw it away, send it to me. I'll pay for the shipping :)

Don't know why it gave you such problems - other users reported great success with it. I have a small sample here but didn't find the time/focus to try it out.

Maybe there is something wrong with your extruder. I'd suggest to print Illuminarti's extrusion test (at 230°):

i will try when my printer got repaired.

i will consider your offer when my printerstore doesn't accept my money back reclaim

I didn't have any problems with the other filament never before, only with this bronzefill.

my printer was printing just fine or maybe i belive? Never seen any issues.

what will the extruder test show when something wrong.

Hi Schneck007,

Do you mean Ultimaker by your printerstore or do you have a different printer?

If you could update your profile and add what printers you have would be helpful.

If you are experiencing difficulties with the filament, have you also tried getting in touch with Colorfabb?

I know them and they are great guys who also have their own technical support staff.

Perhaps you can even contribute in improving the overall quality or finetune the recommended profile.

i will try when my printer got repaired.

i will consider your offer when my printerstore doesn't accept my money back reclaim

I didn't have any problems with the other filament never before, only with this bronzefill.

my printer was printing just fine or maybe i belive? Never seen any issues.

what will the extruder test show when something wrong.

Every filament is a little different, especially when you start getting to exotic things like bronzefill. The extruder test will help determine the best temperature settings for your printer. If your thermocouple is reading a little bit off, this will be very useful in helping get you printing well with bronze.

Now he is printing again.

i will try to contact them. maybe they can help.

i've got a a recommend from my printerstore to print with 0.8 nozzle then 0,4.

my nozzle was bad blocked ( need 1 hour to clean them), maybe is really to small for it

i will lay it down till i get the chance for a 0.8 nozzle.

when you guys get it to work, where's the error by me

I have and ultimaker 2. is already in profile.

but what i saw, he was printing fine till the reacration started. recommend 25,

maybe is still too fast for my printer....

Just picked up my first 3D Printer (Ultimaker 2) and was wondering if I should run this gcode (extrusion test) when I start using a new filament batch? Or is this just a one time test to ensure my printer is calibrated correctly?

Hey schneck007, before you throw it away, send it to me. I'll pay for the shipping :)

Don't know why it gave you such problems - other users reported great success with it. I have a small sample here but didn't find the time/focus to try it out.

Maybe there is something wrong with your extruder. I'd suggest to print Illuminarti's extrusion test (at 230°):

It is not so much about calibration but to check if everything is fine with the extrusion system. But as long as you don't have any problems, you don't need it. If you were to experience underextrusion, then you could print it. Check out this great guide:

Ooh, nice. That will help me a ton. My new printer will be delivered this thursday, so this will come in handy. Looking forward to eventually printing with this bronzefil filament, looks like awesome stuff.

It is not so much about calibration but to check if everything is fine with the extrusion system. But as long as you don't have any problems, you don't need it. If you were to experience underextrusion, then you could print it. Check out this great guide:

freed them all. After a lot of printing hours my printer made is first finsihed print again.

A lot of printed were aborted due the nozzle get blocked again( don't know where it all comed)

now will try the extruder test and second change for bronzefill. When is not working i will send it away

after some adustment temp 230 C and flow 105 is looks nicer than before.

I hope he can mange it now

Here are some of my bronzfill tests from the weekend. I'm finding I get a better polish when printing at 220c with a layer height of .08 or .06 or it could be that it just takes less time to polish at higher resolutions.

Print speed at 50mm/s (no need to go super slow)

It prints really well, I have not had any problems.

great prints - how are ou polishing and how are you keeping the polish as I understand that it dulls over time?

Thanks

James

I manage to print with it successfuly. Don't know what so differnt about 230 c and 105 flow than 220 and 104.

But the first one works finally without any blockage.

time to do some polish :mrgreen:

@ nicolinux i wil keep it now :-P

Too bad, but I am glad that you can print with it now :)

Do post some pics in this thread:

I've just finished my iPhone cover in bronze.

Printed well at .1 level, temp 210, flow at 108%.

First photo is as printed.

IMG 0360

Then sanded with 180, 400,600,800,1000 grit successively. Finally I used Brasso for the final polish.

I felt that the material is a little more friable than normal pva, so you have to be careful not to be hard when polishing.

Overall the effect is great - gives my phone a sort of steampunk look!

IMG 0365

IMG 0038

IMG 0037

Great job Truckle. I need to try this bronze stuff too, maybe colorfabb offer samples :p Not sure i have the patience for all the polishing!

They do:

I didn't tinker with bronzeFill yet, but I can tell you that the glowFill is awesome. It glows for hours (unlike some other glow in the dark filament that I tried).

They do:

I didn't tinker with bronzeFill yet, but I can tell you that the glowFill is awesome. It glows for hours (unlike some other glow in the dark filament that I tried).

Sweet, i`ll get a pack. I have some faberdashery glow stuff, not tried it yet though

Second print in BronzeFill

20140831 152203

20140831 152210

20140831 152216

20140831 152222

20140831 152239

Settings:

Layer height 0.15mm

Thickness: 0.8mm

Infill: 20%

Speed: 30mm/s (could probably print faster)

Flow: 107%

Temp: 230°c for the first layer and 225°c for the rest.

I will post picture once i've managed to polish this thing (I have no clue how this works), i already sanded a bit it works pretty nice.

One thing i really like is how heavy this thing is. It looks more like something real and less "cheap" than regular PLA

The weight is such a nice feature of the material. Once you are done polishing, you will also notice that the object will feel colder to the touch. Not as cold as if it were 100% bronze, but colder than normal pla prints.

So after some sanding with metal wool and some polishing with what i found around the house (some polishing stuff that was along with the dremel i bought) and some wax that is supposed to be used on leather clothes.

Here's the result:

20140901 215618

20140901 215601

20140901 215550

20140901 215535

20140901 215529

20140901 215522

20140901 215509

20140901 215454

Getting my bronze today :D

Just a random Idea: could you put some PLA in the bowden for the start, so you don't waste bronze on stuff like the raft or the bottom supports?

You could do that if you were using a raft (does anyone use a raft with an ultimaker?) and can definitely mix it with other PLA based materials (plain PLA, woodfill, soft PLA, etc) for cool effects.

If you're really really awesome, you could go into the gcode and figure out exactly how much length you need for support vs object at each layer and load a bunch of little chunks, then pause and load more. Or use a dual.

I'm not sure about the bronze, but with mass producing parts I've found rafts to be the most secure way of printing. No prints getting dragged around midprint. Easily removed from both build plate and part(unlike brim) and not so warping effected.

Rafts are fine but they are kind of "old technology". In the "old" days no one knew how to make parts stick to the bed. Now that this problem is solved rafts are no longer needed and they also make the "bottom ugly".

A friend of mine tested "sanding" BronzeFill with a brass brush like this:

1BDB_400.jpg

He said it was removing the PLA and that it looked more shiny already with this, it's also easier to sand for detailed parts.. I haven't tested this myself, i will try that when i have time