Ultimaker Convention?

Nicolinux

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Ultimaker Convention?

Oh sorry, I didn't spot you in the list of voters.

By the way, your avatar/profile doesn't feature the red "team ultimaker" badge. Do you want to keep a low profile? :)

I think Amsterdam would make for a central place with good flight connections and also then UM could most likely bring a big bunch of machines there for all to print with. Perhaps Sander as Community Manager could set this up? It would be really cool!

Realised I had forgotten to vote while I was destroying nallath's ability to be a ninja :p

I put my vote at 500km for now but it all depends on time, costs etc etc. Hard to set a definitive limit but of course shorter is better.

I would be happy with Amsterdam. At least we can have a bit of fun there if Ian starts boring us with feeder design talks all night :p

BAAAA !!!!

Only my feeder may preserve us from final destruction !!! Oh heed my words man of little mind !!! heed my words !!!

The day is coming !! ;-)

Ian ;-) LOLLLL

ps. Amsterdam is a brilliant idea Daniel !... I always wanted to visit the city because of the............. .... .... ..... flowers ! :-)

I am still waiting for someone from UM to weigh in and comment on it. Maybe they are already preparing it and we are just ruining all the fun.

We're not organizing something like this right now. So much I can guarantee. We're busy enough with all the trade-shows and stuff like that.

But, if someone would organize something like this, I would do my best to visit. And, doing it somewhere in the Netherlands will increase likelihood that UM people will visit.

When you organize this, make sure to pick a date far in advance, so people can actually plan. If you say now "it's in 2 months" then that's actually pretty short notice for a lot of people.

Oh en just because Im busy, does not mean I won't make time (in my spare time if need be) to help a bit. I'm completely rubbish with planning things though.

Amsterdam sounds great... never have been there but heared a lot of interesting rumors :smile:

B.T.W: do we have to come also in UM-related costumes like @ ComiCon??

B.T.W: do we have to come also in UM-related costumes like @ ComiCon??

Not everybody. Just you... :p

I think Amsterdam would make for a central place with good flight connections and also then UM could most likely bring a big bunch of machines there for all to print with. Perhaps Sander as Community Manager could set this up? It would be really cool!

This topic has come up a couple of times in threads lately and it I thought to myself multiple times that I should get involved in setting something up where people could all meet.

As Daid says, at the moment it is super busy with various trade fairs, but if a group of volunteers wants to contribute in setting a meeting up (I think Amsterdam would be a great location as well) I will definitely get involved to :)

Maybe we could have a competition who has the best Ulti-bot outfit? ;)

Like this? :pMAKER FAIRE

Well guys, I have not yet voted because I'm not yet certain what I'm voting for. To just turn up and meet a lot of other people who happen to own Ultimakers is not enough.

Ultimaker needs to be there in an official capacity. This means bringing along and demonstrating printers much as they do at trade fairs, but in addition maybe bring along prototype machines to show the direction they are going and what we can expect in the future. Even if some ideas never come to fruition it would be cool to see. Also - important one this - Spare Parts we can purchase, nozzles, heaters etc. This means the date needs to be fixed in collaboration with Ultimaker to be sure they are available.

Other people need to bring their printers as well, but in practice this is going to be limited to those that can drive there. It would be great to see some of the mods and hacks people have done.

Those that cannot bring printers could at least bring models they have printed. Maybe an area can be set aside for that.

Some talks and presentations would be terrific. Maybe Daid and Ian can repeat their recent presentations, possibly bringing them up-to-date if there's anything new.

There needs to be refreshments available, food, maybe somewhere where we can have a beer together.

Amsterdam sounds good to me as well, but I need more details before I could commit to airplane and hotel costs. Anyway, just some thoughts into the melting pot.

Woofy, these thoughts of yours are very interesting. I strongly support them in a sense that such an event should be something everyone profits of. With everyone I mean not only a relative small group (about one percent of all the forum users voted so far) of this foruj but maybe also noobs who could go there and learn from more experienced users directly. And of course also Ultimaker B.V.

So in addition to the activities you mentioned I think some workshops might be a good idea. IMHO it should be something like an extended Ulti-evening.

I would rather vote for a later date to make sure Ultimaker could contribute significantly to this event. Such an event including the manufacturer would also be a strong signal to competitors.

Agree fully with woofy.

Dim3nsioneer

@ costume: damn, but please no fluffy pink unicorn - thats reserved for Daid :-)

I'm also with woofy and you regarding the mentioned activities. Asuming a few € for flight and hotel which a few of the community guys will have, there has to be an additional benefit beside meeting and beer....

Just an extended ulti evening might be too less, but some workshops on different topics to choose to exchange experience might be worth.

And Sander: Ultimaker contribution is of course mandatory :-)

B.t.w. Regarding Amsterdam: I was told by a friend that it is an expensive city - he was there for a business fair end of march. On the other side, flight connections are easy available.

Nevertheless, I think thats a great idea for a great event. :-)

Hey guys,

Since Ultimaker won't be able/willing to host a convention, it is pointless collect suggestions about the event.

I started this thread for two reasons. First to raise awareness about the convention and gauge interest. And second because I hoped Ultimaker would jump on it and take over with an official event. So far 44 people have voted and if I were Ultimaker I wouldn't host the event either. Maybe we should resurrect this thread next year when they have enough resources.

At the very least, the inception about a cool Ultimaker convention has been planted. Let it do its thing now :)

I also think having Ultimaker there is a must,

Maybe turning it into some kind of media event would make it more interesting for Ultimaker, like printing a robot or artificial arm for somebody on the day of the event.

that would give the event more purpose then just printing toys all day :)

Guys, is it just my impression or are there less and less people using this community?

Since UM2, I have the feeling it's going down a bit as there is not so much tweaking and modding and need for getting info and assistance.

So i fear Nicolinux is right... :-(

Lets keep the topic going and see what happens. It would be great PR for ultimaker to be able to market the fact that a huge bunch of the online community got together to party :)

I agree on keeping the topic alive although there will no meeting in near future. The recent posts show that people are thinking about what should be the goal of such a meeting.

Let's give UM some time to make up their minds as well and to catch up with some issues of their company (I fully understand if UM doesn't want to participate in a big event as long as e.g. their support needs improvement...) However, they might put a community event onto their todo list, certainly not on top but at least it would be on the list.

However, we are all free to organise smaller meetings, e.g. within one country or a certain region. In my region, there will be an Ultimaker meeting mid of June, organised by a fablab including a live feed to the UM headquarter! :-P

Maybe there are similar events in other countries. I guess some of the members of this forum are actually from a fablab. For all the other forum members interested in a community event, connecting with fablabs might be a good first step towards a bigger Ultimaker meeting. I think this might also attract UM to play an active role in the organisation of a community event if they could rely on their fablab contacts...

Guys, is it just my impression or are there less and less people using this community?

Since UM2, I have the feeling it's going down a bit as there is not so much tweaking and modding and need for getting info and assistance.

So i fear Nicolinux is right... :sad:

postsandstuff

Robert, thank you for this information - great to know that my impression is wrong :-)