Why would Cura take longer on this print?

Posted · Why would Cura take longer on this print?

Ok here is a Cura pic of a simple Item I need to get a print cost for.

Capture

As you can see it is long but slim and at .300 it is 40 layers high. Print speed is 50m/s and infill is 40% with 0.8mm walls; using a 0.4mm nozzle. The slot in the middle and the end slots go about halfway down.

Cura is telling me that it will take 2hrs 22mins and 6.11 mtrs of filament. That makes it too expensive. So I put it into Slic3r with same settings - and I have checked 3 times! Slic3r is telling me 1hr 28mins and 4.0 mtrs of filament which makes it affordable.

I am used to Slic3R underestimating whereas Cura always seems to be pretty accurate. So I printed the Slic3r version to be sure of the cost and it took 1hr 28mins as estimated!

So why is Cura taking so much longer. All the nozzle really need to do is go around the outline a couple of times and then infill, repeat repeat repeat.

Do you really need 40% infill? what are you using the part for?

Try dropping your infill to 5 or 10% and if you want a little more strength, do a 1.2mm wall.

Ok here is a Cura pic of a simple Item I need to get a print cost for.

As you can see it is long but slim and at .300 it is 40 layers high. Print speed is 50m/s and infill is 40% with 0.8mm walls; using a 0.4mm nozzle. The slot in the middle and the end slots go about halfway down.

Cura is telling me that it will take 2hrs 22mins and 6.11 mtrs of filament. That makes it too expensive. So I put it into Slic3r with same settings - and I have checked 3 times! Slic3r is telling me 1hr 28mins and 4.0 mtrs of filament which makes it affordable.

I am used to Slic3R underestimating whereas Cura always seems to be pretty accurate. So I printed the Slic3r version to be sure of the cost and it took 1hr 28mins as estimated!

So why is Cura taking so much longer. All the nozzle really need to do is go around the outline a couple of times and then infill, repeat repeat repeat.

The filament estimate isn't an estimate. It is exact (unless you have underextrusion). This means Cura 40% infill is much more plastic than Slicer 40% infill. One of them is doing either much more or much less than the requested 40% infill.

If you just reduce Cura infill so that you hit 4.0 meters of filament you will get basically an identical part to slicers. Or at least much closer in strength, time, and plastic cost.

Braddock: the piece is for use in an embossing press; it holds the paper being embossed. Now I know the paper is subject to a pressure of 200-300lb because we are also prototyping 3D printing the embossing plates. I am not sure if this piece is subject to pressure but what I do know for certain is that this piece is replacing a part which is no longer available and the current piece is injection moulded and solid as a rock. Ultimately I will need to get the exact info. on this question. I had intended to solid infill but that was way too expensive so I dropped to 40% infill as a trial.

George: OK I understand your logic which makes absolute sense in theory although maybe not in reality. The Slic3r print yesterday looked to me as if the infill was the same as 40% infill using Cura. Today I will partly print the piece in both software packages and compare the infill and report back!

There must be something different i don't think that Cura makes the filament disappear :mrgreen:

You could maybe compare the two gcode with the gcode analyser http://gcode.ws/ and see how the infill differs (or maybe the top and bottom layers or shell?