USB connection lost - Why?

mm_build

Posted · USB connection lost - Why?

Hello fellow Ultimakerians, I have a simple question about occasionally losing connection to my machine during a print. This is a fairly recent problem, and my intuition tells me it's something to do with windows (or an application) poking around in the USB channel when it shouldn't be.

My long term solutions will include the Ulticontroller, and possibly a separate PC / windows partition that is whistle clean. Anyone else have this problem or has found a fix?

Printing from Pronterface, I really don't want to go back to ReplicatorG... not only that but it's difficult to say since I can print for hours sometimes, and other times it cuts out after not very long

I don't have a good way of diagnosing at this point.

This happened to me thrice today!! It has never happened before.. I can only think of two things.. I installed geo hagen's extruder and used a different laptop today.. so i think it is the latter.. perhaps the older laptop that i am using has issues with buffering through the usb port (making sh*t up here)... printrun just hung (not responding) after 40-50 mins of print..

Hello fellow Ultimakerians, I have a simple question about occasionally losing connection to my machine during a print. This is a fairly recent problem, and my intuition tells me it's something to do with windows (or an application) poking around in the USB channel when it shouldn't be.

My long term solutions will include the Ulticontroller, and possibly a separate PC / windows partition that is whistle clean. Anyone else have this problem or has found a fix?

Mine's a little sensitive to static.. If I forget to touch something metal before touching the machine while it's printing, I sometimes get a reset. Not often - maybe 2-3 times, ever.

Things like having fluorescent lights on nearby can also do weird things. My machine doesn't have a problem with them but I've heard of other machines having such issues.

I got this problem from time to time when I tried to print with my Vista laptop. Not sure if it's related to the hardware or Vista. But it could randomly disconnect, or randomly just not find the Ultimaker at all requiring a reboot of my laptop.

Moving to my main PC solved that, but caused another issue with USB, where the data flow would stop unless I would do something else on USB (use my mouse, keyboard, webcam or USB-Headset).

I finally solved it all by getting an UltiController, which works like a charm!

I finally solved it all by getting an UltiController, which works like a charm!

Quite the salesman there, Daid. You didn't really SOLVE the issue by doing that you just worked around it.

Any cheaper, software-side solutions around? I KNOW there's got to be a way to fix this on the computer end. Maybe somehow you can put the usb connection as high priority or something? I've had this problem too, and I'm not convinced that spending a lot of money on an ulticontroller (a job my computer can do quite well) is the answer.

I solved the USB issue by getting rid of USB. Pretty much a solution in my head. Playing music on my USB headset was a workaround.

No amount of software will fix the buffering problem. And no amount of software will fix flakey USB hardware. But there are ways to improve the USB connection, first is to make sure you are as close to the main hub as possible, every extra HUB hub adds delays and problems. Usually there are a bunch of hubs already in your computer to supply all the different USB ports. Finding out how they are connected is not an easy job. Also make sure there are no power saving modes enabled on your PC. Finally, the USB driver of linux might work better, but that means running a whole different OS for just printing.

Still, when I got a UltiController I didn't think I would use it much, printing from my computer was pretty easy. But now that I have one I stopped using a PC to print. Until yesterday, where I printed some experiments from my laptop, and, the laptop decided to go into sleep mode during a print.

MakerBot has switched to always print from SD, just to avoid the USB problems.

Well i think I found the "power saving feature" you were talking about... (windows 7) Under advanced settings in power options find the setting that says usb selective suspend and turn it OFF. My desktop has this on (god knows why..) I'm assuming that was the culprit... turning off usb after a few hours.

I hope that solves my issue and you other people with usb issues might want to try it.

I experienced this today too.

I'm on an Intel Mac with 10.6.8 and ReplicatorG 0035.

Suddenly on a nearly finished high quality print the usb connection got lost.

I had to close ReplicatorG and open it again to regain control over the machine.

The computer it is connected to is our office server.

It has all the HD's connected to it and our A3 printer.

I have been able to print for longer periods without trouble.

So I did not detect a pattern yet.

Ok, I have been testing a lot and, call be crazy, I discovered the following.

When I leave the tuning window open with "show communications" enabled prints are always completed.

This has been consistently the case for the last 11 prints.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I'm happy again.