Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
johna

Chasing an impossible problem (SOLVED!)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Chasing an impossible problem (SOLVED!)

So occasionally I get a weird artifact on the sidewalls of my prints.

Sometimes it's only PART of a print. Doesn't appear to be related to speed, acceleration, jerk, or anything else. I've tried them all.

And last night I finally worked it out.

I'll show a photo first:

z7lAaCKl.jpg

Higher resolution: http://i.imgur.com/z7lAaCK.jpg

Anyone have an idea what it is? Anyone want to take a guess?

*drumroll*

*drumroll*

.

.

.

Ok, here's the answer. It's a second printer on the same table, shaking! It's my old MakerBot Replicator 1XL. When printing at 85mm/sec, the whole machine shakes the table enough that it was bouncing the build platform on the UM2 !!

Had another print going, stopped the MB, and the problem went away. Started a new print.... and it came back. This has been going on for AGES.

Problem solved!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Chasing an impossible problem (SOLVED!)

Thanks for that info!

I'm planning on running two Ultimakers on the same table - will keep this in mind when I try it out ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Chasing an impossible problem (SOLVED!)

Would be interesting to see if putting both printers on some rubber removes the issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Chasing an impossible problem (SOLVED!)

Similar issue, I recently moved my printer from a more stable table, to a wobbly table, and have noticed that the movement in the build plate increased. It will make its way back to the Solid table soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Chasing an impossible problem (SOLVED!)

That's why I put my UM1 on a stone slab (increased mass reduces amplitude of the vibrations).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Chasing an impossible problem (SOLVED!)

I put my UM1 on 4 vibration dampening pads, each pad is 6" x 1" square with 1/2" of cork sandwiched between a 1/4" thick piece of ribbed rubber on each side. I also added 16lbs of rubberized flex metal weights to the inside of the frame on the bottom platform, it doesn't shake much now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 10 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!