Printer froze in large build?? How to restart at last layer?

Posted · Printer froze in large build?? How to restart at last layer?

Hey, printer froze during a large build. Any ideas on how to start from the last layer height? I have the last line it ended at and the zheight. I don't want to make it up in cad, print it and glue it on the last. Is there a g-code cammand that can have me start the program from the home position (like starting over) but only from the last layer code/height?? Please help this was a 12 hour build and alot of material...

Many thanks!

King IV

You can edit the GCode, remove everything up to the correct Z height, but leave the start code intact. Then insert an M92 Exxx where the E is the first E value you see in the code, so the extruder knows where to start.

Note, the end result might not be very pretty as you will always see on which layer it went wrong. But it will allow you to continue the print.

Note2: The UltiController with SDCard printing is much less prone against freezing.

https://shop.ultimaker.com/en/parts-and ... panel.html

It seems to be in very high demand, as they put it on pre-order now. (it was a normal order a few days ago, guess they sold out) It allows you to put GCode files on the SD card and then print directly from the machine, without having a computer attached. Really useful for long prints.

What does (F) stand for and what does (E) stand for exactly? How do I find the Z height?

What does (F) stand for and what does (E) stand for exactly? How do I find the Z height?

F is feed rate - the X/Y speed in mm/minute.

E is extrusion - how much filament is going into the drive.

Find a G1 command with a Z value in it - that's the Z height.

MAKE SURE you do what Daid said and put an M92 E in there to reset the extrusion to where you left off. Failure to do this won't break anything but you'll be very, very unhappy with the result. Like, it'll start by trying to push (based on the gcode you posted) about 11 meters of filament through the hot end before doing anything else. Ask if you're not sure exactly what to do..

Okay got the F and E thank you very much. But there is no Z anywhere in the G code that I can find . I can't find a single z anywhere except in the beginning and end of a program. Any ideas? I can send you the file myself to prove this..

But there is no Z anywhere in the G code that I can find . I can't find a single z anywhere except in the beginning and end of a program.

It will be part of a G1 command, just like X, Y, E and F.

It must be in there..

Sorry for the way late reply. Finally found the z codes, they are literally every few hundred lines of code or more depending on the size of the layer being layed down. Thank you!