1.75mm Filament on Ultimaker 2

conny

Posted · 1.75mm Filament on Ultimaker 2

Hi,

i have from my other 3D Pritner (now: out of order) a lot of 1.75mm Filaments left and i don't want to throw i away so i'm looking for a way to use it on the Ultimaker 2.

Does have anyone experiences with it? What do i need to change - on the Printer or the Software?

best wishes,

Conny

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The printer has a setting for extrusion% or maybe its flow%. Typically this is near 100%. You might be able to increase that value and get a good result. I'm not sure how high the % goes. I also have no idea if it will feed correctly. I don't know how retraction would work with the extra slop in the bowden tube. Then there is the problem that the nozzle is designed for 3mm filament. The more I think about it, I'm not sure it will work.

Sounds like a lot of tinkering and experimenting to make it work.

• 1 month later...

Hi Conny

I also purchased some 1.75mm filament and thought I would give it a try. I managed some limited success and managed to print a fairly decent Ultimaker Robot as a test.

I set the filament size to 1.75 (as you would expect) and then set the "Flow %" to 150. But you need to slow down the printer head as it moves quickly to compensate for the added flow. I am using 55% speed (Which I set as the print is starting)

I would not recomend this for long term use and I won't be using it unless it is a 3D printing emergency as I suspect the bowden tube is being over stressed.

Good luck!

Actually, if you set the filament-diameter to 1.75 it's ok from the software side.

Hardware side you'll run into a simple problem, and that is that the feeder is not designed to take 1.75mm filament. So it will not properly grab the filament. I think you could make a feeder that works for 1.75 with a few changes, and the feeder parts are printable:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker2-feeder-printable

Hi, I have had a LOT more success with the UM2 using 1.75 mm than the 3 mm. I inserted a small 2mm ptfe tube bought on e-bay within the existing 3mm all the way and tighly to the hot head and at the extruder I put a small washer which prevents the smaller tube going back into the extruder. All I can say this printer has never worked better, no more extruder noises, clicks, slips and extruder inconsistencies, a dream come true as I have already got a reprappro Ormerod that works on 1.75mm.

Minor changes to UM2 was changing it to use Custom filament 1.75mm under settings and use 95% flow, yours may be slightly different. Since fitting it I have done many prints flawlessly and have not had a single slip or problem with the extruder. I have also not been required to clean the hot end due to blockage as yet. Whats nice is the 2mm ptfe tube fits really snug into the hot end.

I would recommend this upgrade. Previously I could not push the 3mm filament all the way by hand to the hot end, now I can easily which means the extruder motor uses much less energy to push the filament.

Also dont forget to cool down all the motors within the metal shrouds using a small fan on each side, motors all run luke warm on long prints now whereas previously I couldnt touch them for more than 2 seconds.

• Like 2

Hi rustyw,

thank you very much - i'm running now the 1.75mm Filament with the original bowden tube but with a flow of 300% and that worked quite good. In the next couple of days i will give your setting a try, as soon as i get the 2mm tube.

Hi rustyw,

I received a present this morning: 3 mm clear pla filament.

Is it correct to assume this will not work properly in the printer?

Its not worthy to destroy the feeder.

If it will cause no problem I will gladly hear that because the guy where I got from has more and is near by for me!

Hi JanF

Did you measure the diameter of the filament? If it's 3mm and up it will have a hard time travelling in the bowden tube.

It's possible to print with it (assuming it's not well over 3mm) but you'll probably need to slow down the print speed.

The UM2 is designed for 2.85mm filaments which is more of a standard now than 3mm

I received a present this morning: 3 mm clear pla filament. Is it correct to assume this will not work properly in the printer ?

I don't think so ...

It's now 3 weeks that I use the ESUN 3mm PLA filaments and, after an initial difficulty figuring out how to set the parameters of "Cura" (... not an easy job with ESUN filaments :D), now I have the perfect prints (...and I've done some print for more than 24 hours).

Guglielmo

Thanks for the quick response,

If my digital caliper is right the diameter varies around 3,05 a 3,06 mm.

Is this still sliding through the teflon tube or will it block?

Jan

Mmm ... I can only suppose that 3 or 3.05 ... is the same ... if you reach and go over 3.1 ... probably you have problems, so ... you have to try.

Only one suggestion ... do not be discouraged, sometimes it is not a problem in diameter, but the filament !

I lost at least 10 hours of work before being able to get some great prints with the ESUN filament, but once I found the right parameters, I've had no problems :)

Guglielmo

Hi, I have had a LOT more success with the UM2 using 1.75 mm than the 3 mm. I inserted a small 2mm ptfe tube bought on e-bay within the existing 3mm all the way and tighly to the hot head and at the extruder I put a small washer which prevents the smaller tube going back into the extruder.

Could this easy mod work on UMO+ ?

I don't think so ...

It's now 3 weeks that I use the ESUN 3mm PLA filaments and, after an initial difficulty figuring out how to set the parameters of "Cura" (... not an easy job with ESUN filaments :D), now I have the perfect prints (...and I've done some print for more than 24 hours).

Guglielmo

Guglielmo,

Would you mind sharing these ideal parameters you found for ESUN filament?

Thanks

@Neotko: I use Roberts Feeder and a smaller Bowden Tube and it work good :-P

Conny

Conny

Thanks!

Hi, I have had a LOT more success with the UM2 using 1.75 mm than the 3 mm. I inserted a small 2mm ptfe tube bought on e-bay within the existing 3mm all the way and tighly to the hot head and at the extruder I put a small washer which prevents the smaller tube going back into the extruder. All I can say this printer has never worked better, no more extruder noises, clicks, slips and extruder inconsistencies, a dream come true as I have already got a reprappro Ormerod that works on 1.75mm.

Minor changes to UM2 was changing it to use Custom filament 1.75mm under settings and use 95% flow, yours may be slightly different. Since fitting it I have done many prints flawlessly and have not had a single slip or problem with the extruder. I have also not been required to clean the hot end due to blockage as yet. Whats nice is the 2mm ptfe tube fits really snug into the hot end.

I would recommend this upgrade. Previously I could not push the 3mm filament all the way by hand to the hot end, now I can easily which means the extruder motor uses much less energy to push the filament.

Also dont forget to cool down all the motors within the metal shrouds using a small fan on each side, motors all run luke warm on long prints now whereas previously I couldnt touch them for more than 2 seconds.

Interesting! I'm wondering whether instead of running a 2mm tube all of the way inside the existing bowden, it would be possible to cut two short sections of 3mm bowden and have those either end of the 2mm tube? Possibly they may need gluing in place... (I don't know what the fits like) you'd then have the advantage of the 2mm tube's greater flexibility than the stock 3mm with a 2mm tube inside of it.

Whether that makes any difference to the general schemes of things... I don't know... but I'd imagine it's going in the right way of "helping" the heads freedom of movement at least.

Conny

What kind of washer or system do you use to hold the inserted tube so it's not pushed back? Could you share a photo close up? Tyy

The smaller tube is just inside the original one (my spare part).To fix these together i used some glue and then there is no additional movement..

So if i want to swap the Filament i just change the tube.

Conny

Conny just one question, the ptfe that it's inside the original, do you push it so it fits inside the nozzle throat/hot end insulator, or you just glued it so it ends on the same part?

Because I was wondering, if could be just easyer (for me since I dont have the ptfe yet) to buy a 6mm ptfe with 2mm dia to replace the bowden original and just change the feeder, this way everything should have a good grap?....

@Neotko: I used this because i found these things at home, otherwise i would have bought a new smaller PTFE Tube. Just the end at the stepper motor is glued and it has the same length as the original tube.

@Conny sorry to bother again, but... What glue you used to stick the ptfe to the ultimaker bowden? I have try 3 different ones I could find without any success, the force it's too strong and they end unplugging from one or the other side. I have order a special ptfe glue to try... Thanks!

Anyone knows if this make sense?

I been having a big problem with my 1.75 mod, it's that the bowden keep being pushed out from the head.

So I though that the tension that the filament was putting was too much for the long bowden because, well that 67 bowden it's designed for 2.85mm filament.

So I did a simply rule of three and that gives me 41cm.

Also I choosed to print a new bowden clamp from youimagine, changed so I could fit my spare pushfit.

The weird think it's that now the bowden hasn't move not even a milimiter, it stays put (so far 3hour print). Maybe it's just luck, but seems to work...

So.. Does it make sense?

@Neotko: i used a 2 component glue

Rustyw

Did you use the Ultimakers feeder or a different one to do 1.75?