1.75mm Filament on Ultimaker 2

conny

Posted · 1.75mm Filament on Ultimaker 2

On my umo+ I use a bowden that's 6mm od 2mm id. Works perfectly (more than 4months with it).

Where did you get it?! I am having issues finding one even on ebay..

• Replies 72
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited) · 1.75mm Filament on Ultimaker 2

On my umo+ I use a bowden that's 6mm od 2mm id. Works perfectly (more than 4months with it).

Where did you get it?! I am having issues finding one even on ebay..

It was hard to find yes.

http://www.charlies3dt.com/en/product/ptfe-tubing-2-mm-inner-6-mm-outer-10-cm-1

There's other guys on italy that sell it but never tried. Also bough 2metter from a shop in Spain and was horrible with an od of 5.9mm and the cneter waaay off. But the ones from charlies3dt have a really nice 6mm and 2mm with a very centered id.

Edited by Guest

https://www.gvc.net/p/3423/size-332od-through-14od EDIT: <-- Wrong link

Holy mother of inches, it's so freaky to find anything with that weird system of numeration...

Size 3/32"ID through 1/4"OD

That should be the size you need to search. It seems that on usa it exists, maybe this will make your search easier. But it doesn't seems cheap at all...

Edit: Seems it just doesn't exists on inches... Sorry ^o^

Edited by Guest

https://www.gvc.net/p/3423/size-332od-through-14od EDIT: <-- Wrong link

Holy mother of inches, it's so freaky to find anything with that weird system of numeration...

Size 3/32"ID through 1/4"OD

That should be the size you need to search. It seems that on usa it exists, maybe this will make your search easier. But it doesn't seems cheap at all...

Edit: Seems it just doesn't exists on inches... Sorry ^o^

haha! well they sell metric here too..

My issue is anything I find with 6mm OD is way bigger than a 3mm ID and everything with a 3mm ID has much smaller than 6mm OD lol

Try on 3d printers shops. I found that shops by searching for ptfes for Buda style hotends. A few years ago they sold a convert kit to go from 3mm filament to 1.75mm and they used that 6mm/2mm id ptfe. That how I found it reading some forums about it.

Edit. Btw I have other ptfe with the 2-3mm ptfe glued (special ptfe glue 8€ ) and it's still working after some reglueing.

Edited by Guest

Hi All,

So I have finally spent some time on one of my UM2's and converted it to 1.75mm filament.

I got the 6mm OD and 2mm ID bowden tube from:

http://www.charlies3dt.com/...r-6-mm-outer-10-cm-1

Not cheap but the only place I could find it!

I printed the I Robert feeder and I am using a 1.75mm/0.4mm hot end from E3D on the Olsson block. To date I have done 4 or 5 prints and they have come out really well, possibly better than with the 3mm filament but hard to determine. Currently printing in Nylon (Alloy 910) and its looking really good so can't complain!

I will convert my other printer once I have used up all my 3mm filament. My other 3 printers all run 1.75mm so it will make life so much easier to stock the correct filament!

I set up a custom filament on the UM2 to have 1.75mm filament, I also use Simplify 3D for slicing so change the setting in there.

Only thing I am seeing which is an issue is over extrusion (not a term normally used on these forums) in the first few layers of smaller parts, easy to overcome by reducing the flow to 90%, but I then need to increase it after, any thoughts on that!? Could be a setting in S3D which I can't find!?

GBR1

• Like 1

I am pretty sure there is a setting in S3D but sadly I don't use this slicer. You could do it with Cura though:

5a331553ad7b1_ScreenShot2015-12-18at02_04_54.thumb.png.073052047c0d6b03fe9e2beabbe36e94.png

I have the same issue with slight overextrusion for the first few layers with 1.75.

5a331553ad7b1_ScreenShot2015-12-18at02_04_54.thumb.png.073052047c0d6b03fe9e2beabbe36e94.png

You could change the gcode to change the flow on the layer it changes. I think is M221 Ty Sxxx (T0 for the first extruder and S90 for 90 flow).

Anyway, are you sure it's something not produced by the knurted bolt of the um2? I had very very bad experiences with the diamond shape bolt on umo+ because it fails to push the 1.75 unless it's soo tight that could brake it (and sometimes did).

I would really suggest to move to a mk7 feeder bolt. The step calibration it's something that just takes a few minutes. And if you have a caliper to measure a mk7 inner feeder diameter you can even do it with the reprap calculator.

Also if you want to just change the flow. You could search for the scripts for s3d. You can replace the layer text to add the flow change. So you could just make s3d always change the flow at a certain layer.

{REPLACE "E" "A"} Google this. It works on postprocessing script area.

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Hi All,

So I have finally spent some time on one of my UM2's and converted it to 1.75mm filament.

I got the 6mm OD and 2mm ID bowden tube from:

http://www.charlies3dt.com/...r-6-mm-outer-10-cm-1

Not cheap but the only place I could find it!

I printed the I Robert feeder and I am using a 1.75mm/0.4mm hot end from E3D on the Olsson block.  To date I have done 4 or 5 prints and they have come out really well, possibly better than with the 3mm filament but hard to determine.  Currently printing in Nylon (Alloy 910) and its looking really good so can't complain!

I will convert my other printer once I have used up all my 3mm filament. My other 3 printers all run 1.75mm so it will make life so much easier to stock the correct filament!

I set up a custom filament on the UM2 to have 1.75mm filament, I also use Simplify 3D for slicing so change the setting in there.

Only thing I am seeing which is an issue is over extrusion (not a term normally used on these forums) in the first few layers of smaller parts, easy to overcome by reducing the flow to 90%, but I then need to increase it after, any thoughts on that!?  Could be a setting in S3D which I can't find!?

GBR1

Your link is broken :/ and not only would that be expensive as you noted.. for me everything is double the price because international shipping to the USA.. :(

Hi Guys!

I just upgraded to a UM2 Extended and still have a LOT of 1.75 mm filament. Will it work with the stock config., as I am not keen on tinkering with it.

Cheers

Check out the rest of this thread. It won't work out of the box. You need to replace the bowden tube at least.

@AryaVenu, this might bring you a bit closer to what you want...

Your link is broken :/ and not only would that be expensive as you noted.. for me everything is double the price because international shipping to the USA.. :(

I was wondering if you had found something in the USA that works?

The best I have found so far is 1/8" ID x 1/4" OD which should be 3mm ID x 6mm OD. and pretty cheap: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=33594&catid=840

I'm thinking of giving it a try.

EDIT: I added it to the cart and it's minimum 10' per order so it's not that cheap after all. The search continues

EDIT2: Amazon has 5' for under $15.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluorotherm-F015092-Fractional-Tubing-Semi-Transparent/dp/B00KJDE67G

or 1' (in black though) for under $8:

http://smile.amazon.com/Fluorotherm-F015092-Fractional-Colored-Tubing/dp/B00KJDE5XQ

Edited by Guest

You might find this interesting. They sell a lot of clone stuff hyper cheap (and not good quality btw, for example their hot barrels for umo I had to drill them to make them work, and the couplers have weird sizes) Anyhow they sell this:

http://es.aliexpress.com/item/3D-Printers-Filament-Accessories-Tetrafluoroethylene-Tube-Teflon-Tube-PTFE-Tube-F4-F46-PFA-Pipe-Plastic-pipe/32301282980.html

It arrived this morning with some gears I wanted to test. The tube it's quite ok, not perfect, at least it's 6.01mm-6.06mm outside and the inside it's a good 2mm with an almost 'ok' center hole. But I got more stuff from them and sometimes it's a disaster, so get more than 1meter. It's also the cheapest bowden you might find since they send from china.

Just remember, you will see very cheap prices, don't buy unless you expect a 50% of failures.

Edited by Guest

I was wondering if you had found something in the USA that works?

EDIT2: Amazon has 5' for under $15.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluorotherm-F015092-Fractional-Tubing-Semi-Transparent/dp/B00KJDE67G

I purchased this from amazon a little while ago and it works with no issues. It is a bit more opaque than the original bowden so lighter filaments are sometimes a challenge to see if loaded properly but I have no complaints.

The length is long enough to get two usable bowden sections that have ample space to trim as needed when the retainer clip chews it up.

Hi,

I have bought an Ultimaker 2+ and I also have a lot of 1.75 filament spools.

Even if the extruder tension is very high, I have under extrusions on several layers with 1.75mm spools.

I will buy a 2mmx6mm PTFE tube but I need to know if the new feeder is ok or if I need to replace it ?

Hi Rusty,

You description sounds very promising but could you provide a little more detail?

Hi, I have had a LOT more success with the UM2 using 1.75 mm than the 3 mm. I inserted a small 2mm ptfe tube bought on e-bay within the existing 3mm all the way and tighly to the hot head and at the extruder I put a small washer which prevents the smaller tube going back into the extruder...

Minor changes to UM2 was changing it to use Custom filament 1.75mm under settings and use 95% flow..

What type of washer did you use where? Could you provide a photo or a more detailed description?

It sounds like you made no modifications to the filament motor, didn't you?

Would love to replicate what you pulled off but that would be much easier with a few more details. Hope to hear from you.

Edited by Guest

After studying the excellent contributions in this thread, I ran a little test of my own. First, I thought I'd try the no frills version adjusting just the material type in Material / Settings / Customize on the Ultimaker. As for gurby, who suggested this on page 2 above, it worked for me without any problems. All I did is set the filament diameter to 1.75mm w/o adjusting anything else not even flow. If you can tell the difference between 3 and 1.7mm below, I'd be impressed. What does seem to happen is that some PLA accumulates in the wider nozzle as gr5 suspected. That lead to a minor retraction problem in one case where a 2-3mm wide blob didn't travel back properly during retraction but ended up halfway down the filament tube. I also ordered a 2mm PTFE tube and will test that once I have it. DSC03673.thumb.JPG.569a71dcbfd0614f404cd98390b884aa.JPG.

DSC03673.thumb.JPG.569a71dcbfd0614f404cd98390b884aa.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

After studying the excellent contributions in this thread, I ran a little test of my own. First, I thought I'd try the no frills version adjusting just the material type in Material / Settings / Customize on the Ultimaker. As for gurby, who suggested this on page 2 above, it worked for me without any problems. All I did is set the filament diameter to 1.75mm w/o adjusting anything else not even flow. If you can tell the difference between 3 and 1.7mm below, I'd be impressed. What does seem to happen is that some PLA accumulates in the wider nozzle as gr5 suspected. That lead to a minor retraction problem in one case where a 2-3mm wide blob didn't travel back properly during retraction but ended up halfway down the filament tube. I also ordered a 2mm PTFE tube and will test that once I have it. DSC03673.thumb.JPG.569a71dcbfd0614f404cd98390b884aa.JPG.

Which feeder are you using ?

Which feeder are you using ?

Still on the standard UM2 feeder. No mods there yet, although I have been considering them for flexible filaments which occasionally get stuck.