Multiple objects with skirt - addressed to Daid

yellowshark

Posted · Multiple objects with skirt - addressed to Daid

This is on 14.01. Once you have loaded your model, before you duplicate it, you have to set the setting; once duplicated the setting cannot be changed as far as I can see. So, load model, got to Tools menu and you will see both options, select the one you want, then duplicate the model.

I have just tried 14.03 and it seems to let you change the setting after duplicating - I say seems because I have not tried to print. Maybe I am wrong but above is certainly my recollection on 14.01.

OK the plot thickens. I went to my 14.01 laptop attached to the printer and loaded a cube and then multiplied it, multiple mode was print all at once. I went to tools and changed the mode to print one at a time, nothing happened confirming my point in the previous post that you have to set the mode before multiplying the object. Then I swapped from normal view to layer view and blow me it redrew the bed layout to print one at a time.

So I deleted them all, reloaded with mode print all at once and then changed the mode to print one at a time. I printed them and as expected they did not print one at a time, they printed all at once.

I then went back to Cura and to layer view, expecting them to be redrawn and nothing happened. Over the next 10-15 minutes I could not replicate the redraw.

Like I said previously, you're getting fixated on an arcane technical aspect of a solution instead of clearly stating the actual problem you are having and asking for help on how to solve it.

Also not clear if you're printing in Nylon or T-Glase (PET), which have different bed adhesion strategies.

Give me a break Nick, first of all you call me a prick, now you do not have the courtesy to read my post properly. Just who is the prick. I stated two problems. If you cannot read English nor grasp the fundamental point, I certainly do not have time to waste telling you again

Why doesn't a tight-fitting skirt work for your use? (Sounds a bit weird out of context...)

You say you don't need the skirt before each print, just the first one (since you want it to print all as one group in the beginning), so it stands to reason that your extrusion is going just fine in between prints (otherwise a skirt before each print would be beneficial), and so if it's going just fine, it shouldn't matter if it prints a tiny skirt before each individual print or not. The skirts after the first one should be completely irrelevant, as long as they are only offset a few mm. The printhead size should be your only limiting dimension on packing your objects closely together.

Unless of course you're worried about overall bed leveling, which, if you're genuinely trying to run production on, you probably can solve more easily and efficiently in ways other than printing a large skirt first.

I can certainly see cases where a group skirt would be better, but the problems you are sort-of describing just seem like they are easier to solve in other ways...

Why doesn't a tight-fitting skirt work for your use? (Sounds a bit weird out of context...)

LOL.

Seems like the OP could get what he wants by creating a one layer thick model and placing it somewhere on the build platform where it will be printed before the other objects. Alternatively, he could make a bit of gcode that does something similar and place it in the start up routine.

Personally, I find that because of the sensitivity in printing the first layer, it almost always advisable to print a skirt.

I want to say first, I am a newbie at 3d printing. However, I was just wondering. Is there any reason you could not just copy your parts in the 3d software (I use simple Tinkercad, select copy and repeat to make multiple copies). I have not actually printed it yet, but am going to try. Is there any reason why that would not work, and treat it like one object, therefore one skirt around all?

This topic is 5 years old.  And Daid doesn't work for Ultimaker anymore (I guess his commute was just too long).  Although in theory he might make some edits to the cura engine and then do a pull request.