Monthly challenge?

anon4321

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Monthly challenge?

I gave the previous model a couple of tries but i failed miserably ^^ the piece would always detach from the buildplate :mad:

The dragon is a good idea, it's a tricky print and probably a good training for generating supports. This one must be made with meshmixer, Cura's support will probably give a lot of chaos :mrgreen:

I would prefer the bracelets, because they are really hard to manage.

The dragon is not a big deal with meshmixer I think. Just open it, add some supports, refine supports manualy, print -> ready.

May be we should try both?

Alright, that's 3 for the dragon and 1 for the bracelet so far. I propose we submit more designs and discuss any rules that may be necessary and start next month or the middle of this month; the more designs we have now the larger our selection pool will be in the future. Even if just a few of us participate I think it will be fun enough, if not the experience will at least be educational with respect to optimizing print strategies.

I've been thinking of a way to submit prints to determine a winner; each participant takes whatever photos/videos they want and writes whatever they want but by a specific date, people then read them and vote.

An example submission could include things like closeup photos of hard to print details, an overall photo of it on the printer bed not removed, a photo of it off the bed; some information about the print, how long it took to print, how many attempts did it require, printer type, bed temp, nozzle temp, filament type, print speed...; and potentially some shared files. This way it negates any real set of rules, except for example a bold header for official submissions, and allows people the opportunity to show what they think is most impressive about their print.

Hi Aaron,

sounds great, I totally agree with your thoughts. Not too many rules, but a straight way one has to go.

btw: here are the rolly thing files from my print:

http://www.torhoff.com/3d/rolly_thing_3.zip

Hey guys, is there any objection to doing the bracelet, other other similar smaller item that we can vote on, starting on the 15th? If I can get 5 votes by then I'll start the thread, if not I'll try again for the end of the month. A yup, and a suggestion if applicable.

Scratch that, how about we start voting up until the end of this month and follow an approximation of the prescribed rules below?

Proposed "Rules"

Beginning on the first of every month a winner is declared from the previous month. Official votes will be flagged with bold text as above; "Vote:Name". During all days of the printing month, votes can be cast.

During all days of the printing month, print submissions can be made with a bold text, "Submission."

During all days of the printing month, print suggestions can be made with a bold text, "Print: http://www.thingiver...om/thing:192211" or the whole text of the link.

During all days of the printing month, print votes can be made with bold text, "Print Vote: name or link of the vote print"

If you suggest a print and want to also vote for it, indicate so in the suggestion text in anyway you see fit.

One vote per person, if changing a vote indicate so in the text; else it will be assumed to be your single vote.

I'll tally up the best print votes on a somewhat regular basis and put the numbers on the first post in the thread. I'll also keep a running tally of the prints that have been suggested and made, as well as the number of votes each new suggested print has.

An example submission could include things like closeup photos of hard to print details, an overall photo of it on the printer bed not removed, a photo of it off the bed; some information about the print, how long it took to print, how many attempts did it require, printer type, bed temp, nozzle temp, filament type, print speed...; and potentially some shared files.

How about letting the winner pick a new file? Otherwise we might have 10 options to pick from one month and 0 the other?

Hi Aaron,

sounds really good. Thanks a lot for your work.

I'm currently on a business trip, so that I can't help you with refining the 'rules'

Hopefully many other members will respond and take part.

Cheers,

Joerg

Hey guys thanks for the feedback, even if there are only a few participants the first month I'll still invest the time to set things up. I think more people will eventually participate as time goes on.

Hey Titus, thanks for the suggestion. I intend on creating a running list of prints we can vote on every month, the list will grow over time and I'll simply cross out prints that have already been completed. As users suggest more prints, I'll add them to the list so we can vote on them at any time.

Hey Joerg, thanks for the motivation. Yeah, if anyone has any more suggestions for "rules" post them in this thread and I'll comment on them

I will be starting a new thread on the 30th of this month (I'll post the link in this thread), with the rules, print list, and stats updated on the first post. So far the list consists of two prints:

A Better Dragon, by illuminarti: http://www.thingiver...om/thing:218026

Bracelet - Voronoi Style, by roman_hegglin: http://www.thingiver...om/thing:192211

Some clarifications to the rules stated earlier, anyone can propose a print, anyone can vote on a winning submission, but only those that intend to participate in the next months print can vote on the next month's print. This doesn't lock you into participating, but if you think you might participate then it's alright to vote for the next month's printing challenge. O'yeah, anyone can participate in submitting a print at any time during the month, so even if you missed voting for the print you are not excluded from participating.

I'll be monitoring this thread for print votes and print suggestions.

Happy Printing!

Vote: Bracelet

Im still struggling with a nice and fast ultimaker robot, so the challenges can be extremely useful!

vote: bracelet

I think the dragon would be fun, but I think the bracelet would be a good first try.

At least you and I will print something out Titus :p.

vote: bracelet

:)

lets go for the bracelet then :)

Hi there,

shame I did not notice this before :(

How to participate? Edit, (Or how to pass the background check :) )

Just try the challenge and post your results :)

May I just confirm :

The bracelet has 4 versions A-D? Is everyone printing the same version? Kinda pointless if 4 people print 4 different ones lol :p

May I just confirm :

The bracelet has 4 versions A-D? Is everyone printing the same version? Kinda pointless if 4 people print 4 different ones lol :p

I'm giving A a try I guess and starting off in the Minor league :)

I must say that the A version has pretty rough edges, or atleast so it seems. It also has quite some overhang the can't be printed with supports. Looks like a good challenge after I tweaked temperatuur vs speed.

In the case of the bracelet being chosen (which seems likely) the "A" design will be the model printed by default, unless there are specified revotes; I check this thread a lot on my phone via email. Doh, I totally forgot there were different models.

Also, 3dcase your background check came in good enough :mrgreen:.

Let's begin with the A model, after that if some participants want to give the others a try why not :) they all have some kind of particular difficulties. Model A is challenging because of the overhangs so it's a good model for this

Are we restricting the material, to even up the competition? Or is everyone free to do whatever they want?

I think it is cooler to use whatever you want :) that way we may run into some interesting differences between various materials!

I agree with Sander, may we will find some unexpected results with different materials :)