Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
yellowshark

Question to Ultimaker Software Engineering dept.

Everyone thinks their feature is important but sometimes adding one feature pisses someone else off. Think about if everyone wants this feature or if it might possibly just add another thing that new people won't understand or appreciate. Anyway here is the best place to post a request as it will kind of sit there where UM employees see it on a regular basis:

https://github.com/daid/Cura/issues

Some defect trackers have the ability to vote on the importance of a bug or new feature. At least with that, you make the larger number happier.

I'm not in favor of a voting system. With a voting system people will assume that the highest voted requests gets done.

And there is a whole range of things that I need to judge a request on. One of the important ones is "effort vs reward". Another one is "will this make the UI more complex?"

I'm a software developer so maybe my opinion can be useful (or maybe not :mrgreen: )

Maybe it could be interesting to have a pinned subject on the Cura forum with the suggestions for Cura. There would be one subject aside for the discussions on each suggestion (maybe one topic/suggestion).

I'd see it like this:

I have something i would love to see in Cura. I open a subject, detail the functionality.

It's discussed with the other forum members and with Daid (or any other person responsible of Cura if there are).

• If the suggestion is worth a development it goes into the pinned subject and is declared as approved.
  • If the suggestion is interesting but time consuming it goes into the pinned subject and is declared as pending.
  • If the suggestion is rubbish or doesn't comply with Cura's philosophy it goes into the pinned subject and is declared as refused.

Another thing that comes to my mind but i don't know the architecture of Cura and i know even less about Python, but why not have something like the plugins for adding stuff to the GUI? I'm like Daid i prefer a GUI that doesn't have checkboxes everywhere and is confusing to use but if some people want it the could create the plugins and have some kind of super expert settings mode? :geek:

Another thing that comes to my mind but i don't know the architecture of Cura and i know even less about Python, but why not have something like the plugins for adding stuff to the GUI? I'm like Daid i prefer a GUI that doesn't have checkboxes everywhere and is confusing to use but if some people want it the could create the plugins and have some kind of super expert settings mode? :geek:

The new GUI I'm working on has a deep down configuration window for selecting which settings you want to see. This enables you to make a super-expert-mode.

I am also an ex software developer, again maybe so what. It might be useful but overall I am not in favour of a voting system for decision making. It would be churlish to think that the CURA developers/owners/authors/strategists – whomever – do not have the best interests of the users at heart. They are the custodians of the software and are the people who know where they want to take the software and therefore, at the detail level, really are the only ones who can make those decisions.

My issue that caused this whole fracas is a good example. My problem is multiple object printing using nylon. How many other forum members multiple print with nylon? Very very few I would guess. So zero votes in favour. On the other hand the Cura strategists might have a plan to make CURA the best nylon printing software on the planet.

the CURA developers/owners/authors/strategists

Love how you talk in plural there, while this pretty much boils down to. Me.

Another good example would be the removal of the slice button (which was almost a year ago). Lots of people complained about that at that point. Right now, everyone seems to have accepted it. By vote, it should have returned. But my vision (aka, as my thick skull) kept the slice button out of Cura.

The people who complained the most about the slice button actually had an issue that made the UI lock up (I think mostly on MACs). Leaving out the button was good because it highlighted bugs that would have been missed if Daid added the button and Daid fixed them relatively quickly.

The people who complained the most about the slice button actually had an issue that made the UI lock up (I think mostly on MACs). Leaving out the button was good because it highlighted bugs that would have been missed if Daid added the button and Daid fixed them relatively quickly.

Yes, that was actually the probing of the SD card which was causing issues. (Mostly on Mac, but also on Windows with certain virus scanners)