Ugly Image Sizes

hp-65

Posted · Ugly Image Sizes

I started moving all my stuff from Takerbot to this space

(nearest safe place until Ultimaker gets sold ; -)

These wide image formats are really, really ugly.

And as a consequence, the majority of images are cropped.

Just browse through YouMagine...

Additionally, you are also using different image sizes for the indexed

view and the object pages. Especially the latter looks the worst.

It's not my business, but if I had a wish:

Go make it 4:3

*PLEASE*PLEASE*PLEASE*

I agree, it would be nice if it matched the most common aspect ratio of digital cameras. With the way we compose an image in camera cropping it to match a 5:3 ratio looses too much space at the top and bottom.

I mostly don't bother taking a real camera for YouMagine pictures, just checked the resolution of my Phone (S4 samsung) and figured out it has the strange aspect ratio of 3264 x 1836, so 2 : 3,55 ... not sure about other phones, but I guess most people just use there phone..

Oh, I was not only talking about the technical aspects, but the aesthetic ones ;-)

I finished uploading ~30 designs, but at least 10 of them look so damn ugly

(on my scale), or do not image what's written in the description, so that I am

probably not going to publish anything...

YouMagine doesn't even allow to click and view an image in its full size,

so the complete "message" of any portrait format is completely lost...

+1 It's ruining the look of Youmagine and makes it boring to browse. Sad.

In addition, the "share" (to twitter, FB,...) buttons are secondary and shouldnt use such an important location. Same for category, tags, creating date, license which are unimportant. Tags were hype 5 years ago, now the only thing needed is a good search bar (indexing tags too, but not even needed to display them).

Thingiverse has a very smart and optimized interface. Doing different just to do different is silly, nothing wrong in copying what is working well.

oh, and why displaying the images filename???

Hi all,

Erik here... The image aspect ratio has been something that's troubling me as well. One important thing that I managed to change is that the original images are now stored, completely unmodified and unscaled (since the appearance of the little YM watermark).

It should therefore be possible to change the aspect ratio in retrospect and regenerate all resized images and thumbnails. The ability to open images in fullscreen/lightbox mode (and downloading them) can be added. Anything can be discussed, we just can't DO everything at once. I'll discuss this with the team and will get back with a (little) more concrete proposal.

Since we can do all this afterwards, we'll probably release other improvements first (that have been in the works). First up is an overhaul to a newer Ruby on Rails version in two steps, which will make the entire website much faster and more pleasant to browse.

You can help out by giving me a few links to "worst case" crops that could look okay with a proper ratio. We can use these to test before we release a fix?

Hello Erik,

Some examples:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/star-wars-at-st-scout-walker (this one especially)

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/mode-gakuen-spiral-tower

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/saucer-with-the-rose-of-chartres

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/lead-bender-tool (yours?)

It seems better for the recent designs, don't know if you changed something or uploaders adapted their file format.

So it's mainly affecting the oldest designs.

On the homepage as a latest design right now:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/rotary-cheese-grater

Why instead of cropping pictures you add a transparent borders to pictures so they get the aspect ratio you need.

As far as I can tell, YouMagine is first cropping my original rectangular image into a square in the upload preview window, loosing the right and left edges. Then, after confirming the upload, the main page crops the image again into a smaller rectangle, this time removing some from the top and bottom, so it has been double-cropped by the time it appears on the user page. I don't think that is what you want or intended. I had to first swell my image with a 130% blank border in photoshop before uploading, to get around this. Not a great situation, so a fix would be welcome.