Filament Sizing

rguzzo

Posted · Filament Sizing

Can the UM2 take a different size of filament? I know currently I am using 2.85mm filament and want to look at different colors and sizes, is there a min/max I should keep front of mind? Thanks for all the help guys

-Rich

Posted · Filament Sizing

Many filaments are labelled "3mm" but are actually 2.9 or 2.85mm. You need to check carefully as some really *are* 3mm and those won't work in the UM. Anything from 2.85 to 2.9 is fine (that's a small range - I know) assuming approximately .15mm tolerance.

What country are you in? Someone may recommend other sellers of filament. Please update your profile settings to include your country in "location" part.

Posted · Filament Sizing

Is it just not 'optimal'? or does it just flat out incompatable to use 3.0mm filament in the UM2? I use this cheap but decent grey stuff that's 3.0mm +- 0.1mm in the UM original, while tight in the bowden tube, it still works as long as you're not going super fast.

Just so I know for future filament orders...

Posted · Filament Sizing

Many filaments are labelled "3mm" but are actually 2.9 or 2.85mm. You need to check carefully as some really *are* 3mm and those won't work in the UM. Anything from 2.85 to 2.9 is fine (that's a small range - I know) assuming approximately .15mm tolerance.

What country are you in? Someone may recommend other sellers of filament. Please update your profile settings to include your country in "location" part.

Mod, thanks again for the response. I have an upcoming trade show and am using the UM2 to drive booth traffic. I wanted some back up filament and need it ASAP. Since the UM Filament will ship from UK and I need it Monday that wont work.

Any other vendors you'd recommend where the size is actually between the 2.85-2.90 mm?

Posted · Filament Sizing

Humm, is 2.93mm "okay" for the ultimaker original??

Posted · Filament Sizing

If the diameter is constant within 0.05mm then it shouldn't be a problem. I use some 2.93-2.96 filament in my UM1 without getting it stuck in the Bowden tube. But the tube has to be clean.

Posted · Filament Sizing

printbl.com in USA is great vendor - really high quality stuff. The downside is the filament reels that they sell won't fit on back of UM but not huge deal - I usually put it on the floor anyway. Or you can build one out of knex or something.

If the filament hits 3.00mm you should be fine but 3.05mm tends to be too much and tends to jam in the bowden. I've talked to people who had to remove *both* ends of the bowden and heat the whole thing in boiling water to get the filament out.

Posted · Filament Sizing

Yikes that is scary sounding.

Posted · Filament Sizing

(Duplicate post)

While I like the DiamondAge PLA, which is monochiral and very hard, I've recently had serious problems due to dirt on the filament in the sealed bags in which I received me coils of white from the US distributor (printbl.com). I've had a series of clogs on my UM2 that are definitely caused by the black specks visible on the white filament inside the sealed bags. (It's not from the extruder - I'm using Robert's, printed in white.)

Further, their US distributor, printbl.com, is offal (sic). They sell PLA only, and typically, currently have only five colors in stock of the 19 listed. They offer white and ivory only in coils, although DiamondAge manufactures several sizes of spool (and also offers ABS). To top it off, the printbl.com web site hasn't changed a word in almost two years, and the site has been off the air frequently. It is difficult to tell whether they are really still in business.

Bottom line is that unless and until DiamondAge finds a new U.S. distributor, I cannot recommend the DiamondAge filament, unless you want to pay double to cover International shipping direct from New Zealand.

As supplier of both ABS and PLA, I can enthusiastically recommend Protoparadigm.com. Good service, good prices, and I've never had an issue with their filament. Ultimachine.com also offers good filament in ABS and PLA, and good service, and has truly White PLA, which Protoparadigm doesn't sell for some reason.

printbl is off my list for good.

Posted · Filament Sizing

If the diameter never went above 3.00 mm and dust did not exist, it would work fine.

The feeder on the UM2 is quite hard on the filament though.

It produces plastic particles which every now and then ends up in the bowden.

It also tends to grind the filament from time to time, which smears the filament out and increases the diameter at that position.

Filament change will often leave some plastic threads in the feeder/bowden too.

Altogether this means you want at least a 0.1 mm clearance which makes 3 mm the upper limit if the bowden is 3.1 mm.

I have both the 2.85mm Ultimaker filament and some 2.95-3.00 mm filament from another manufacturer and the extra clearance of the Ultimaker filament makes it much more reliable. When you reach 3.00 mm even slight disturbances tends to cause underextrusion or failed prints.

Posted · Filament Sizing

Since the above note, I rec'd a note from the Managing Director at DiamondAge:

"We have, in fact, decided to withdraw from the US retailer market. Dealing with US companies has not proved profitable or reliable."

"Others are welcome to resell, but there will be no more specific distributorship deals."

Their filament is best-available as far as I am concerned, but shipping direct from N.Z. makes it prohibitively costly.

On the U.S. west coast, ProtoParadigm is the best pick.