Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
soonyc

Stickies or other easily accessible important information to start

Hello,

This is my first post, but I've been reading for quite some time know, waiting for my UM2.

What I see a lot when I search for something, are many topics from newcomers, in which experienced users point to various other, older posts which already answer the question more in depth.

What I also noticed, is that there aren't any stickies or read first or any sort of manual or index which would help people a lot when they start with their new printer and this forum.

There are a lot of useful and well written guides and other information but they are hidden in all the other posts and topics :

- newcomers asking often the same questions or having similar problems

- advanced users trying to improve their prints.

Maybe I have missed something, but right now this forum is the only source of information I have which explains how to use my printer!

Perhaps there would be much less redundant topics to answer if the right information would be more easily accessible?

What about a manual section or link collection to the following topics :

- how to choose the right printer settings for UM1 and UM2 for a particular object

- Settings, which have to be manually adjusted (nozzle and bed temp)

- print tests to see if the printer is ok (which should be the first prints anyway!)

- Analyse a print to clearly identify if there is a problem with it or the printer

- Solve problems like : underextrusion, print doesn't stick to the bed, feeder...

- overhangs and other important things to consider when designing or printing an object

- Print with ABS and switch between ABS and PLA

- Maintenance! When, what, how! Which parts have to be replaced on a regular basis (and may have to be ordered very early on), define maintenance steps, etc.

Having these informations all at the same place and easily accessible would be worth a lot to many new forum users!

Hi ssonyc

I agree on your proposal. Maybe one of the moderators could initiate a such section here in the forum? B)

btw: Where in Switzerland are you located? If you are in the area of Zurich, you may be interested in the Ultimaker event taking place at the FabLab Zurich on the 14th this month... :-P

Thanks, Didier!

There is a wiki? How could I have missed that! :oops:

Thanks for the link. A wiki for the UM2 would also be a very good solution indeed. I'm surprised there isn't a link to the UM1 wiki in the support section of the main site.

Hi Dim3nsioneer,

Yes, such a section would be great! Maybe a good place for it would be right next to the welcome section!

I'm living in the french part (near Lausanne) but I also speak swiss-german. Zürich is a bit far for just one evening and the Fablabs seem to be more UM1 oriented… But I may come to a CNC workshop! These seem to be quite rare!

I just realised that I have already all the tools I need to assemble important information!

By creating a new topic in "the art of printing", I may convince people to help me collect and structure all this precious information. I will add it in the first post of the topic and if/when the result is acceptable a moderator can simply "pin" the topic so that it is visible at the beginning of the section.