Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
braddock

stripped head on set screw

Hey guys, my UM2 is now slipping on layers all too frequently, I assume one of the pulley wheels needs tightening, but the head is stripped and the allen wrench has nothing to bite into, so I can't remove it.

Does anyone have any tips for removing a 2mm set screw with a stripped head?

My UM2 is essentially useless right now due a crappy little screw.

Hardened steel too expensive lol

Braddock, not on a UM2, but I did have a similar problem on another product I had. I just couldn't get the damn thing out!! In the end, I heated up some solder and pushed it into the hex slot, then pushed an allen key into it and held until it went nice n hard. It worked, but it was on a 4mm one, maybe a bit trickier on a 2mm.

also hard to get to... I'll probably end up melting the belt!

Hardened steel too expensive lol

Braddock, not on a UM2, but I did have a similar problem on another product I had. I just couldn't get the damn thing out!! In the end, I heated up some solder and pushed it into the hex slot, then pushed an allen key into it and held until it went nice n hard. It worked, but it was on a 4mm one, maybe a bit trickier on a 2mm.

If u have an old slotted screwdriver u can file it like a chizel the flat part sharp and the corners slightly angled. get it in there an give it a well dosed strike with a hammer. If the material is soft enough it will grip and u can screw it out. BUT this is the last resort i do that if all is lost and sometimes it works.

So, things have gone from bad to worse. The set screw on the Y motor is also stripped, I ended up taking it off to get better access, which is what I should have done in the first place, but I was afraid of messing with the belt tension and not getting it back together.

It's beyond hope, the Eazy-out failed to do anything other than mash the surrounding surface.

Skint, I even tired solder, but it just balls up and wont stick to anything.

I think I'm beaten here, can't think of what else to do other than put it back together and put up with a slipping printer.

I'm even doubting the screws as the cause of the slipping in the first place now, surely if they needed tightening, they would have come out easier?

setscrew 01

setscrew 02

As we are already on the more desperate side of the ideas, you may try to reduce the friction of the screws by adding carefully some WD40 or similar... maybe you then have the chance to get it out with one of the previously tried methods...

Braddock, what country do you live in? The answer to this question affects how quickly and through what method you can get spare parts. Please also update your profile location showing your country.

I'm in Sydney, Australia, I'll update my details.

There's no immediate rush, I put it back together as is, and while i couldn't tighten them, or remove them, they're no looser than they were, in fact, my short belt was a touch loose, so when I put the motor back on, I made sure it was positioned as far down as possible, the belt is tight now and my bottom layers are better than they were before, not sure why this would have affected things.

I've completed a couple of long prints with no issues, but I'd like to replace the parts when I can, as the issue will likely happen again, and get worse.

Cheers,

Paul.

Braddock, what country do you live in? The answer to this question affects how quickly and through what method you can get spare parts. Please also update your profile location showing your country.