Possible problem with Cura Beta + UM1 + Heated Bed

anon4321

Posted · Possible problem with Cura Beta + UM1 + Heated Bed

Posted this for someone else and thought I would see if someone else can confirm so people like Daid can be made aware -

I downloaded the latest Cura beta (RC6). Thought I should update to the firmware that came with it,

Selected to Ultimaker Original with self built heated bed. I noticed that Cura flashed the HBK version but that shouldn't be a problem.

Fortunately, I have the ulticontroller and after the update was complete and the Arduino restarted, the controller immediately displayed

BED TEMP ERR

and this is on a machine that was working 5 minutes before.

It seems once the BED TEMP ERR appears, the printer won't communicate with either Cura or the Arduino IDE.

However, I removed the Arduino and used by saved copy of the firmware config to rebuild for my bed (it runs in PID mode) and reflashed. After reinstalling the Arduino, the printer is fine.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

HBK = Heated Bed Kit which is the new kit from UM (not yet for sale). That kit has a small circuit board and uses the PT100 temp sensor and uses a chip that creates a voltage that is sent to the arduino. The table of temperature values versus voltage is completely incompatible with typical kits out there (thermistors).

Anyway, this is a GUI bug - the GUI should not give you the HBK version if you select the checkbox "home built". It should only give you the HBK version if you selected the other checkbox. I think it says "Ultimaker Heated Bed Kit" or something like that.

I sent a message to Daid about this yesterday and no reply yet. He's busy doing something else I guess. To him it probably seems minor (one line of code) but to unsuspecting people with home built beds it's quite annoying.

Yes, from a product perspective, definitely needs to be fixed ASAP!!! If you mistakenly update your FW, the printer is basically dead. You need to pull the arduino out and reflash with custom built FW. It's the pulling it out part that is a PITA.

Others might just give up and generate a call to support which isn't good either...

Yes, from a produce perspective, definitely needs to be fixed ASAP!!! If you mistakenly update your FW, the printer is basically dead. You need to pull the arduino out and reflash with custom built FW. It's the pulling it out part that is a PITA.

Others might just give up and generate a call to support which isn't good either...

Small thing. If you build a heated-bed yourself you are a bit on your own on that bit. IMHO, it's a bit hard to complain to me that not the proper firmware is installed then.

I guess it is a matter of opinion. The issue is that the first run wizard seems to be OK with allowing you to select the self-built bed option and then asking you if you want to update the firmware. This sort of implies that it is sort of supported.

However, if you update the FW, the printer is dead.

I was playing around with various versions of Cura and I think in 14.01, if you have picked the self built bed and attempt to update the firmware, you are messaged that Cura doesn't come with the firmware for the self installed bed and the firmware installation is prevented.

Obviously, we are a little on our own with mods like self-built heated beds so expecting Cura to come with firmware for a self-built bed is not realistic.

However, the 14.01 check was nice and would prevent people for falling into this trap.

Totally agree.

Took me all day to figure out it was 14.07 that baked my stepper drivers....

It is a bit of a mess right now. I know. Sorry.

I'll be updating this code soon. As we'll get a few more variations of UM Original machines:

- UM Original Kit

- UM Original Kit + Self-build heated bed (which are more common then I expected)

- UM Original Kit + Heated-bed-upgrade-kit

- UM Original Kit with heated bed in a single kit (Not released, in the planning, no ETA, but will use the UM2 electronics board)

So for the 4th machine I also need to supply a different firmware. So even more configuration options, which I'm not 100% happy about. But that 4th machine really needs to happen, I'm all for that machine.

Hi,

I have an Ultimaker Original with Ulticontroller and bought the heated bed kit from Jason HK some weeks ago .

I am not able to load the default or custom firmware Marlin.hex.txt to my Ultimaker, not through Cura 14.07, 14.06 nor 14.03 . From the moment I add a machine with heated bed, a timeout is reported and the communication is gone between Cura and Ulticontroller is gone . This is the error report :

Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Detecting serial port'

Connecting to: /dev/cu.usbmodemfd121 (programmer)

Error while connecting to /dev/cu.usbmodemfd121: 'Timeout'

Serial port list: ['/dev/cu.usbmodemfd121']

Connecting to: /dev/cu.usbmodemfd121 with baudrate: 250000 (auto)

Trying baudrate: 230400

Send: M105

Baudrate test retry: 4

Baudrate test retry: 3

Baudrate test retry: 2

Baudrate test retry: 1

Baudrate test retry: 0

Trying baudrate: 115200

Trying baudrate: 57600

Trying baudrate: 38400

Trying baudrate: 19200

Trying baudrate: 9600

Changing monitoring state from 'Detecting serial port' to 'Closed'

Changing monitoring state from 'Closed' to 'Error: No more baudrates to test, and no s...'

Connection closed, closing down monitor

I càn resume the communication through installing the default firmware in Cura 14.06 and 14.03 without the heated bed . I must admit that it occurred first to me when I was upgrading to 14.07 .

I was not aware of the problem of which I now read different articles on the forum . Is the only solution still to take out the Arduino part and 'flash ' it with the Arduino software ? And if so, how do you manage to get the Marlin.hex.text (from Marlinbuilder) into the Arduino software ? This is something that I tried but had to give up because of error message

core.a(main.cpp.o): In function `main':

/Users/aum/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/main.cpp:34: undefined reference to `setup'

/Users/aum/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/main.cpp:44: undefined reference to `loop'

Can someone give me advice ? I work from Macbook Pro and have little knowledge of electronics, but I am willing to learn more .

Fons.