Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
circuitburn

First time printer...hollow model is being filled in.

Hi all,

I've just assembled a new PrintrBot Simple Metal and ran through some calibrations and the first recommended print, the fan shroud. Thought I'd have a go in Sketchup at creating a part for a cosplay and my resulting print isn't coming out like the STL in the 3d viewer. I'm guessing somewhere in the conversion to g-code there's a problem.

Here's what the part looks like in Cura:

XY7mICV.png?1

and here's the resulting print.

CJqJB0l.jpg?1

I stopped it once I realized it was going to add a layer almost every pass around the part. It looks like it's at the first 'step' out inside the hexagon.

How can I check that this isn't going to happen with my prints? And what can I do about it?

First and foremost - never print anything without looking at it in slice view first. This would have shown what it was going to print.

Now to fix the problem. I don't understand what the problem is in you specific case but sketchup lets you put walls anywhere so you can get internal walls inside a solid (which confuses cura) and you can get holes in your objects (also confuses cura). Other cad programs like solidworks or DSM - or openSCAD - well this is impossible. They model solids - not faces. So it's impossible to get this. Anyway Cura has an XRAY mode in the gui. Click that icon and if you see any red there is a problem in your model.

Also there are features in advanced called "fix horrible". If your model has no red in xray mode try unchecking all 4 of these. Otherwise you can sometimes fix the print by fooling with these checkboxes (instead of fixing it in sketchup).

Thanks for the help. It turns out the model wasn't completely solid. Like you said, I had walls within the structure that needed to be removed.

There's a great plugin for Sketchup called Solid Inspector (https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/solid-inspector) that really helped me identify where the model wasn't considered closed. An import into netfabb to scale the model and I was set to print.