Bad print quality on overhangs and finer sections

bez

Posted · Bad print quality on overhangs and finer sections

I'm back, and I'm stuck with another technical hicup with my prints ....... could someone please give me some pointers and advice on how to stop the below mess happening on my prints.

gallery_35497_964_1120973.jpg

I thought it might have been the speed of the printer so i lowered it a bit and tried again but I got the same result so i aborted the print to save wasting material.

gallery_35497_964_2254592.jpg

I don't know if this is an indicator to what the problem might be but this is a common sight to the start of all my prints:

gallery_35497_964_698690.jpg

I really appreciate any wisdom you guys can offer this humble noob while i learn the ropes of 3d printing :)

These are called overhangs and are tricky to print although you should be able to do a lot better. I'm not sure why they look so bad. You need to print cooler though - fans must be 100% and test that both are working full speed. Also this is a small part so make sure "minimum layer time" is as least 5 if not 7 seconds. Also I would print this slow and cool (maybe 210C and 30mm/sec or maybe even slower). Also keep the heated bed somewhat cool - 60C would be good.

Now the next thing - why not print it in the orientation shown in the first picture? I can't see too well what's underneath so maybe you chose the best orientation. Not sure.

Overhangs will always look worse than vertical edges but you should be able to get to 45 degrees overhang without much loss of quality at all. I think that because the part is so small you aren't giving it time to cool enough.

Hi gr5,

Thanks for getting back to me :)

Temp was at 215, I have the bed set at 60 anyway as that seems to be the best for me. I will try setting the speed to 30mm/sec but in the second pic it was set at 40mm/sec.

Orientation wise the other side is a constant radius so I'm guessing that would be a bad idea to print from?

I will check the fan speeds during my next test print.

Would having the layer height set at 0.1mm or shell thickness at 0.4mm be causing any issues?

I'm using ultimaker filament currently I know from what I've been reading over this forum is not regarded as the best, I'm going to try and get an order in with faberdashery and try their filament ........ but that then lead to the material with no spool dilemma lol

If it was easy it would be boring .......

gr5 is right, you are printing in an inappropriate oriantation.

Print it in the orientation as in your first photo. That's how I have printed it with success.

Cheers for the feedback Conz, I will try that now, I thought it might not print well off a curved surface ....... but nothing ventured nothing gained (I'm finding that a lot with being so new to the world of 3D printing).

As ever guys thanks for the information, Its a steep learning curve but i am soaking up as much knowledge as I can from the people who are willing to share :)

gr5 is right, you are printing in an inappropriate oriantation.

Print it in the orientation as in your first photo. That's how I have printed it with success.

Really? You printed it lying on its back? I'm curious to see what that looks like as it was designed to be printed standing up in the same orientation as it is mounted on the machine.

I struggled a bit back and forth on the design there. I wanted it to look good while not being too terrible to print. Having a flat back would've made it easier to print but also really ugly :p

Oh no ... you are right. Shame on me. :oops:

I have checked the part and it was printed as intended.

It was the "snap on guide" that is oriented wrong in your stl, (Not the "arm").

Sorry for my confusion. (I have had in mind, that I have had to rotate a piece)

Yeah I wont show you guys the abortion of trying to print it on its back lol

I'm getting better quality with lower print speeds and printing at 210C.

Consider 200C, .2mm layer and 20mm/sec. It will print same speed as .1X40mm but come out much nicer. If it's still sloppy at 210C keep going lower. Every filament is different. Some can print fine at 180C and cooler. Some need 220C minimum.

Thanks for the tips I will give these a go later :)

Yeah I am noticing even a difference in colour effects the print settings. But even with all these initial hurdles I very happy with my Ultimaker2 and I understand there is a lot of learning to be done to become more of a natural user.

I plan to order some different materials from colorfabb and faberdashery soon so I'm sure that will through a spanner in the works xD