UltiControler display issue?

drayson

Posted · UltiControler display issue?

Hi community!

recently my Ulticontroller display @ UMoriginal gots a very shiny spot exactly where the heated bed temperature shall be visualized.

Foto

Any hint´s what this could be? pressure? damaged display? ...

I've got the same thing on my display, only that it's much weaker and doesn't hurt much...

This is a typical quality issue with LCDs. There's some pressure or misalignment in the LCD casing, causing the glass to push away the liquid crystal. You can also see two brighter spots at the right edge of the display: This is where the LCD is held in place, and because there's some pressure applied, you can see the bright spots.

If you gently push the display with your finger, you get the same thing, but it disappears after you release it (don't push too hard!).

If you push the display too hard, the effect can remain permanently. Either that's the case with your display (somehow, something applied pressure to that point), or it's just a monday morning model...

Thanks for this info. Had this area since I got my UC but become worse recently ( or not recognized as there was no heated bed installed).

Maybe I could exchange it but don't know if my soldering skills are sufficient...

Actually, we recently discovered that can be caused by ESD. Which is kinda hard to prevent. We're looking into adding a transparent protection plate to prevent this in the future.

Actually, we recently discovered that can be caused by ESD. Which is kinda hard to prevent. We're looking into adding a transparent protection plate to prevent this in the future.

@ Daid, any news on this??? I guess it´s some kind of ESD as I can read everything nicely when connecting just via USB and without PSU.

Please advice as I can´t read my display propperly (heat, flow rate...)

Had exactly! the same at the same spot!!! I got a replacement from ultimaker - if it is esd - it would be easy to shield it i guess by simply prevent touching the screen, the funny thing is that two displays have the same problem in the same area (coincidence?). But i think if it is already damaged it is too late :/

VEEERY interesting as I had a conversationwith Sander and got no offer for replacement...

Sander???

it's a bit hard to see on the cam but it was really annoying and looked exactly like yours:

it was also gone when the power switch was off but the usb cable plugged in

Guys, there is a potmeter on the Ulticontroller PCB which allows for adjusting the contrast. Try it... ;)

not bad man... you are right xD

Did it - got better with the spot but worse on the other characters...

Currently just live with it...

I'm still saying it's a simple quality issue that the metal case of the LCD module is pressing too hard on the LCD screen. I've had that spot on my UC since the beginning, but it doesn't bother me much...

Started this tread a while ago, made some adjustments ant thought I can live with it.

Recently it become worse... Currently I've a hard time see anything in the area where the spot is.

@ UM service, is there any chance to get a replacement via warranty???

Or a guide how to replace the display?

Any hint appreciated!!!

Posted (edited) · UltiControler display issue?

Any news on this? We are having the same issue.

Edited by Guest

Yes, I had to contact my local distributor and luckily got a spare one. Now everything is up again and my UMO works as perfect as on the first day :-)