Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
stevenpetrone

Belt skips and build plate moved?

Hello everyone, I am somewhat new to 3d printing as well as ultimakers.

My ultimaker 2 is somewhat new, and initially I had problems with underextrusion and the feeder not working, but most of that got fixed. I was printing a rather large print today, and about halfway in I was lucky to be around as I heard a rumbling and when I looked over the rumbling stopped but the print head was printing a couple centimeters to the left and the build plate has been moved and was up against the right wall. The upper part of the front belt was loose when I paused the build(which took rather long to pause) and was a little twisted. As it was impossible to get the build repositioned exactly I had to scrap it and waste a lot of filament. Has the skipping or build plate moving happened you any of you? Also, do you guys find yourself throwing out a lot of wasted prints like I do?

Usually I am able to continue failed prints. If it took more than a few hours before it failed I usually spend the time to figure out where it failed, edit the gcode and print the modified (the remainder). However it's important to keep the build plate at a constant temperature all this time. Even if you go to bed and do it the next day - keep that build plate hot otherwise the part pops off.

However in your case it sounds like something more drastic happened.

Did you fix the loose top part of the belt? Easiest way is to loosen the pulley set screws and allow tension to correct it.

I've never had a belt skip a gear like this. Don't know what would cause it.

Also, do you guys find yourself throwing out a lot of wasted prints like I do?

Usually, no. Once you have your printer tuned in and learned what settings to use for which filament, then your success rate should be nearly 100%.

Except of course if you try to print models that are very difficult to print (not suitable for 3D printing).

Using good quality filament always helps getting successful prints.