Assembly proficiency

Posted · Assembly proficiency

Hi. I am new to the world of 3D printing. Yet I've been excited ever since I heard about it. And now I am looking into getting one myself. I've zeroed in on the Ultimake after reading various articles and posts. I have an IT background. So I am mostly into programming. Have dabbled with the arduino a little bit and have some experience writing assembly code on PIC microcontrollers. I would like to know if someone with my kind of background would be able to assemble the ultimaker merely from the instructions on the ultimaker wiki?

Thanks.

In short, absolutely. Just take your time and follow the instructions carefully and you'll be fine. And if you get stuck anywhere just ask and someone will nudge you along.

Be prepared to spend a bit of time on it though, I spread my assembly out over a couple of days.

I have the same background, I assembled it without help, from just the Wiki in 8 hours, with some minor issues. I recommend to split the build into at least 2 days, so you make less mistakes.

I am clumsy, impatient and have the reflexes of a glacier, but I still managed to get the entire machine working in one go. The instructions are clear and everything only fits one way :)

I went ahead and ordered it. Now patiently waiting to lay my hands on it. : )

Thanks to everyone for allaying my fears about whether I might be able to build it or not. I feel a bit more confident after I read your replies. So I went ahead to order it.

Cheers.