How do I improve the print

Posted · How do I improve the print

I have been working on this extrusion for weeks and purchased the ultimaker purposely to print this but I can see problems over the hill.

I orientated to the bed so I could get accurate internal measurements (minimal overhang)

On The Bed

As you can see the supports are all the way to top but on the finished item this would be the finished surface I think tit would take a lot to clean and don't want to go down the road of Acetone misting or derivative for PLA

can anyone suggest a better way to orientate this but in the finished item there will be channels running through the extrusion

hears a pic of the internals at moment

Internals

this was printed .20 resolution speed 40 took 5 hrs I printed slowly I wanted to get a good finish which I thought I got. would be better at .10 but the time goes through the roof..

is mesh maker an option would I benefit from it….

ADVISE Welocomed

Hi Bob,

I am not sure I completely understand what you mean. But regarding the orientation of your object, maybe it would be better to flip it over so the inside of the object points down (toward the heated bed). Granted, this is a less then ideal orientation but if I guess the usage of your object correctly, the inner part will be covered anyway so it won't be a problem if you have support material there and thus a crappy surface after you have cleaned it.

But other than that, the print quality looks pretty good by the way.

What's the angle of the overhang? Have you tried already without support? If it gets too heavy in the present orientation, try to put the surface which is the overhang now flat onto the bed. Then you have one relatively lightweighted plane as overhang.

I would rotate it 180 degree around the z axis as the front side gets the least cooling from the fans. Increase the layer thickness. If you can live with the 0.2mm quality, it's fine. The smaller the layer height, the more difficult overhangs are to be printed. Slow down to 30mm/s and print as cool as possible (190-200°C). However, you should use a higher temperature for the first layer (e.g. 210°C). So use 210°C for the material setting and use the TweakAtZ plugin to change the temperature on e.g. layer no. 1 (Cura begins layer numbering with 0).

Yeah get rid of the support entirely, unless there is some stuff hiding in it which we can't see. You shouldn't need it.

Looks like a little stringing is happening, so there's probably room to drop the temp a few degrees as well.

Hi all thanks for the input so far

Nicolinux

Yes you are right about the orientation and had thought of your suggestion but the amount of support material pushed the print up to 10hrs so wasn't keen on that but if it has to be it has to be.. Thanks

Dim3nsioneer

Your thoughts were very interesting I printed this at 180 and at around 30 mm/s I thought the 1 couple of layers aren't hot enough I have never used the tweak at a in it it ask for a height or a layer does the bar on the right give me the accurate layer number to enter if not how do you find the layer height.

Nick Foley

The support is only holding what you can see I left it in so I could get a good representation of what I need to measure internally to make sure other components fit.

Thanks for your input guys it is appreciated...