Ulti-evening 14th of July 2014

SandervG

Posted · Ulti-evening 14th of July 2014

Hi Everyone,

Another Ulti-evening is coming up on July 14th.

As usual it is being held at the fablab Protospace in Utrecht however it is going to be slightly different then usual.

As some of Ultimaker has spend the last couple of days in Barcelona, like myself, we hosted a few workshops and one of them was about how to hack your trusty Ultimaker into a chocholate-3D printer. The workshop was great and we thought it would be an excellent idea to share this with all of you.

So instead of having 2 interesting talks it is time to stick those hands out and get dirty again! It is hacking-time :)

The timetable remains quite the same and it is particularly a good idea to bring your 3D printer with you so you can hack it. Depending on the size of the group we may not get around to hack every printer (we may do groups?) but at the very least you will know how to do it and go forward with it at home.

Date: 14-07-2014

Time: 17.00 - 22.00

17.00 - 18.00 Arrival (preferably with your Ultimaker) and order your food. (not chocolate related)

18.00 - 18.30 Short introduction about the workshop by Joris van Tubergen

18.30 - 19.00 Food.

19.00 - 22.00 Hacking time; Workshop.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks of this idea to make it a bit more interactive.

We will also share our findings later online for the rest of the (not dutch) community and if you like this idea we may have found a new angle.

Looking forward hearing from you!

• Replies 77
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sander,

I plan to come and I will bring my machine. Any idea what kind of tools we need for the hacks? (twee linker handen :???: )

Awesome. I backed the Discov3ry paste extruder, but decided I wanted to build one of my own. I'll try to make it over.

I will be there, straight from work, which is only a few honderd meters away from the fablab Protospace. But since I travel by bicycle I will not not be bringing along my printer but hope to learn enough to reproduce at home. :smile:

But since I travel by bicycle I will not not be bringing along my printer

That never stopped me...

I think almost no working Ultimaker saw as much abuse as mine. I even dropped it from my bike once.

Hmm, Utrecht, I'm from Belgium. Any idea what the traffic is like between Antwerp and Utrecht between 15 and 17h? I like the idea of coming :)

PLEASE make a nice movie so that guys like me not able to come can also contribute at least afterwards and see the chocolte-smeared UM and their owners ! :-)

b.t.w. - maybe somebody could share some kind of instructable afterwards... would love to try this hack too...

Have fun!

If I can make it, I'll see if i can bring my camera and mix something together. Unless someone else was already planning on doing that?

Appreciate this !!

Hmm, Utrecht, I'm from Belgium. Any idea what the traffic is like between Antwerp and Utrecht between 15 and 17h? I like the idea of coming :)

I takes me usually about an hour to get from Antwerp to Utrecht, but depends a lot on road works and accidents. Last few times I had to go past Antwerp going south I had at least an half hour delay because of accidents.

That never stopped me...

I think almost no working Ultimaker saw as much abuse as mine. I even dropped it from my bike once.

Well I like my shiny new toy and like to keep it like that for a little longer ;-)

Hmm let's say an hour and a half... I can do that and still be there by 17h. I'll just take the printer with me to work then :)

Do we have to bring stuff besides the printer? Tools or so?

The tools part is also unclear to me. How far do we need to take the UM apart to do this proposed hack?

Indeed. Plus I also imagine you'd need other parts to accomplish the hack... Are those provided, do we have to pay for them. I wouldn't mind at al, it's no more than normal. But it would be handy to know all that in advance :)

Hi Guys

You don't need any tools to take with you.

The only part you need is a 100ml syringe. If you have these lying around that would be great.

Besides that you need to print a couple of parts and need a piece of bowden tube (we will have that) and filament (which everyone should have plenty).

It is quite easy to remove the hack, so you don't need to do any hardcore modifications to your precious machine :)

Now I'm curious! :)

Is that a syringe including needle or just the plastic body?

So basically we have to bring filament (color of our choosing), the printer and if possible a syringe.

The filament is not mandatory either.

I will bring a reel which should be enough for everyone.

Bring your printer, and a a syringe if possible and you are in the green :)

The syringe is without the needle, but it should have like a small opening (which they usually have by default).

Hi Guys

You don't need any tools to take with you.

The only part you need is a 100ml syringe. If you have these lying around that would be great.

Besides that you need to print a couple of parts and need a piece of bowden tube (we will have that) and filament (which everyone should have plenty).

It is quite easy to remove the hack, so you don't need to do any hardcore modifications to your precious machine :)

That sounds even more interesting - really couriouse to see your mods in some nice picturs/vids :-)

@Sander: Perhaps protospace could update the event description as well to include the syringe part?

Thanks Sander for the update.

I will bring a syringe and I will have to remove the ABS that I am currently printing (always a risk of clogging). And bring some PLA and make sure the printer is in working order before leaving on Monday. I am quite curious how it will work out.

Printing in ABS is not so good at the moment since I am experimenting with adhesion.

Managed to get my hands onto 60ml syringes but that was the biggest they had. Is that enough or does it really need to be 100?

For what we have / is prepared it needs to be a certain diameter.

I don't know that from the top of my head.. But we choose 100ml so it goes a while before refilling.

The biggest downside for 60ml is that you may need to refill faster..

If you don't have a 100ml for comparison it is probably a difficult thing to answer.. but do you think your 60ml is shorter or thinner? (or maybe both)?

Sander I actually went to a pharmacy and the biggest they have (knew of/could order) was 50ml (but it has 60ml on it). So I wouldn't know where to get these. I do have 2 of them, so if they're easy to get out of the Bowden, I could fill them both up :)

You can see in my goodies bag picture I've added them already:

Ulti-Evening 14/7

I also only found a 60ml one.

Awesome! Count me in. I'll try to bring my 'new' printer by public transport, even though it still requires some tweaking, or is there someone else coming from somewhere Leiden/Den Haag/Delft/Rotterdam? Is there a place to sign up, or is a comment here enough?

I don't have a laptop though, will that be a problem?