Ulti-evening 14th of July 2014

SandervG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Ulti-evening 14th of July 2014

Hi Titus,

Can you print from SD card? In that case not having a laptop will not be an issue I think, You only need the data on your SD card. I will bring my laptop writing 2 sd cards will not be an issue. I am coming from the Eindhoven area so I can't help on the transport issue.

I'm able to print from SD cards yes :) Just hoping the chocolate printing doesn't involve real time control of your UM from a computer. Otherwise I guess ProtoSpace has some desktops that I might be able to use.

As for transport, I'll have a look, the walk from Utrecht Zuilen is only 1km :)

I don't think that printing chocolate will be controlled by the computer. Otherwise Blizz will be in trouble with his UM2 (can't print from a computer).

USB printing on the UM2 is perfectly possible afaik. I connected to the printer via Printrun last week to update the E-steps and should be able to print as well. I believe you just have to switch to Reprap gcode instead of UltiGCode or so, don't exactly recall. I'm not planning on doing so though, the SD card thing is way handier :)

Managed to pack my UM1 for public transport. On my way from Leiden to utrecht zuilen :)

As someone from Ultimaker was filming, I did not make a video myself. But for those who can't wait or are interested in what things looked like (and a "working" version of the chocolate printing): Check my album below.

Youmagine link of the models is included in the pictures.

Ulti-Eventing - 14/07/2014 - ProtoSpaceHuge ass printer @ ProtoSpacePrinting substances in syringesMessing around with chocolate

I'm not sure if the last one shows an overextrusion or an underextrusion... :-P

Thanks for posting the pictures!

It's more of an "everywhereextrusion" :)

Perhaps useful to know: For this to work the filament needs to be retracted the entire time, as making it shorter pulls the plunger down. They gave a couple suggestions on how to do that. One was to edit the gcode and replace all " E" with " E-" and Daid suggested that setting the flow rate to -100 might work as well, but he wasn't sure.

I'll make sure to add this to the pictures as well, I guess it will be lost otherwise.

Funny part of the entire store was that the way to get the chocolate in the syringe and the air out involved a lot more steps than the actual making of the aiding tools :) (something with swirling around the syringe attached to a piece of rope, it will be in the videos when they post it and it's pretty funny to see)

As someone from Ultimaker was filming, I did not make a video myself. But for those who can't wait or are interested in what things looked like (and a "working" version of the chocolate printing): Check my album below.

Youmagine link of the models is included in the pictures.

THANK YOU DUDE !! :-)

Thanks for a nice evening, and thanks for the inspiration Joris!

Joris also suggested to put the printer in the kitchen where you have all the tools for creating and cleaning chocolate mess. Actually start with chocolate paste like you put on your sandwich. This does not have the cooling issues. Next step would practice with 'koetjes reep' (don't know the English word it is actually not chocolate but looks like it). Joris practiced in a chocolate factory. When using chocolate he also mentioned having a heat gun at hand set at about 60 degrees is very handy since the 'nozzle' clogs quite quickly. The chocolate itself does not get solid so quickly.

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but could you not use "Hagelslag" with a heated nozzle ? :cool:

This is the link with the parts

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-syringe-extruder-ii

Use the sketchup file since the stl's did not fit on my UM original. Note there are errors in the sketchup files needing repair. Fix part A you have to uncheck if I am not mistaken in Cura. Check all the holes if they go through.

@Xeno

I think you would have to preheat the hagelslag. Don't put chocolate through your nozzle it is much so small for it!!

Also, "hagelslag" is not the best type of chocolate to melt. I'd use "smeltchocola' for chocolate fondue ;)

I would think that dipping chocolate for icecream could make for a quick setting material. You know, the type that instantly hardens when you poor it over icecream. I found a recipe that refers to it as "Magic Shell":

http://www.thekitchn.com/make-chocolate-magic-shell-ice-cream-topping-with-only-2-ingredients-171745

Yesterday I tried if we could make the nutella a bit less runny by placing the buildplate in a freezer for an hour or so. This did not really work (the perspex material did not seem to have a high heat capacity and warmed back up rather quick), but I think there is merrit in a chilled buildplate for pasteprinting. A "frozen" slab of aluminum would have worked better.

A ice pack or some of those freeze packs used for camping will probably work as-well. You will increase the homing position so you have to take care of that. Actually Joris showed a image with a freezer pack on the build plate. He mentioned that he just pushes the limit switch by hand and did the z fine tuning during the print. The sketchup model has some limit switch models. So lots of possibilities to overcome that small issue.

If someone discovers when/where the video is posted please let us all know by posting a link to it here.

You'll see my ugly mug then. For some reason they thought I was interesting enough for an interview :-) I wonder how much will be left after they cut the bad pieces ;-)

I got there a little late, but the extruder concept was really great, and it was good to finally see the birthplace of Ultimaker, and put some more faces to names :-)

Same here, good to be back at the place I lost my 3D printing virginity ;-)

Was amazed by how simple and elegant the paste-struder concept was. And indeed it was good to see the some of the faces I learned some much from on this forum.

Well, it would help if peoples avatars were also faces :p

The pulling with the filament and the extra piece of bowden to double your force was very smart Joris!

Agree about the avatar thing. But that doesn't make it that much easier. For instance Titus, I've seen your avatar before, yet I couldn't link you with "the real person" initially. I propose that next time we wear labels with our forum/real names ;)

I do know you, since you had the only UM2 ;)

But the lables yeah, good idea, with name/forum name on it!!!