Ulti-evening 14th of July 2014

SandervG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Ulti-evening 14th of July 2014

Hehe Titus :)

I propose that we all print a label, to do it with style ;) I'd really like to try and print a dual colored name tag, anyone know how to get started doing that?

Edit: seems Dirkels beat me to the idea :) But I wholeheartedly agree!

Yes!

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/drink-clip

Go straight to the picture that shows the text "paul rose J".

Basically print with two contrasting colored filaments (like black and white). Model the badge in one STL with flat bottom (not areas for letters just big flat bottom) and the letters in the other STL. Print the letters .1mm thick and then switch filament and print the badge with first layer .3mm thick with flat bottom. This will cover the letters and fill in the gaps nicely.

dcDSC 9083

dcDSC 9082

dcDSC 9086

Okay thanks! I've been hesitant to order at 123Inkt before but since a couple of people present at the Ulti-Evening had good experience with their filament I went ahead and bought a whole bunch of colors there. I'll wait until then as at the moment I have only "dark" colors :)

You should also try ninjaflex, that is amazing material! I bought a reel to see if it would work with the Ultimaker and surprisingly it did pretty well! :)

Sander yeah I considered that already. I actually have Filaflex here, but even with sewing machine oil, I can't get it to print. The filament just bends and curls up in the feeder. Don't know what I should try next.

Still no video from the event?

They took a lot of video that evening, I imagine it will take a while to edit it.

Well they also videoed the previous meeting....

So I am quite curious what is happing with that material. Thanks to the photos of Blizz I was able to figure out how to mount the parts that I printed today. The parts that I printed during the event did not fit... The small converter print for the thermocoupler is in the way,

@gr5. Was thinking about using your technique but then with the full 6 colors of my avatar (7 counting badge). Might need some manual tweaking of gcode to avoid passing over already printed avatar parts but but when I can get all six parts printed cleanly the result should be worth the many hours I will spend on it :grin:

But big thanks for sharing this technique, I'm sure I will use it not only on this idea but many more to come, like personalizing my N-sided jewel box design (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/n-sided-jewel-box). Will make sure to give you the credit you deserve.

I just spoke to Duco, who recorded the evening.

The editing is almost done, and when it is finished I can use that for a short manual on how to hack it at home :)

So a little bit more patience is required....

Thanks Sander. Is there also a channel or link where all the other recored Ulti evenings are? I think these evenings are great, too bad that I don´t live around that area. This community is international so most cannot come but would like to have part. We would really appreciate this. And I think I am not the only one who might be interested in a live videostream... Would be great to be more a part of the community and not only reading in the distance.

Yes, I think most of them should be on http://vimeo.com/ultimaker.

For a while I have been thinking about helping setting up ulti-evenings in other countries too.

Since it is such a global community I have already heard various requests about community-gatherings in other countries. Does anybody know a fablab in your area that is familiar with Ultimaker and would possibly be interested in participating?

I know *of* some fablabs in Belgium, but haven't looked into them.

I wouldn't mind participating if there were some events organised in BE :)

I'm even prepared to (help) facilitate should that be helpful.

That is great news and I will keep that in mind :)

Thank you for your support.

Do you want to reach out to those fablabs?

Or if you have the names we could also do that.

What about any in Germany and UK?

Sure, I'm willing to contact them. What information do you need?

Germany, well I would be interested in an Ulti-evening in Northern Germany. Hamburg would be good. There are two fablabs, one is too small and not that 3D printing addicted. The other is bigger, but I am not 100% sure how familar they are with Ultimaker. I could contact them. I could help organize it, but would need support from your side. I think in most cases you also have a well known speaker for an Ulti-evening...

@gr5: I was trying that 2 toned thing but you forgot to mention that you need to mirror the text :p

I'd love to get involved with organizing an event in Germany. I have significant experience in organizing events but I don't have any personal connections to Ultimaker fab labs (I only know Makerbot and RepRap people unfortunately).

But I wouldn't mind emailing/calling/whatever all kinds of people if you give me some more information on the type of event you're looking for.

Great to hear that you are willing to make an effort in setting this up.

First I need to document the hack of our previous Ulti-evening and then we can look for the next edition.

Perhaps that next edition won't be hosted at multiple locations, but maybe we can already create some outlines.

Great! I sent you a message with some more details not to derail this thread any further.

you need to mirror the text

I knew you would figure that out eventually. You can see the text is backwards in the photo. I used Cura to rotate the text 180 degrees which flips it over for you so you don't have to do it in CAD.

Tssk :)

So did I btw. Now if Cura could also slice up a model to print it in multiple pieces to minimise overhangs, that would be awesome :)