More information during print

cube

Posted · More information during print

There was not much traffic for a few months here...

One thing I'd like to see is the current Z-height of the platform, sometimes I want to watch for a feature to appear which I know is x mm up from the surface.

The current Z-height is an information i've also missed since i started with the UM2 (only a few weeks ago).

Unfortunately i have to agree with David in this detail:

There is always a battle between "people wanting more information" and "keeping stuff KISS".

An unsolvable issue with those "Nerd"-forks is, that they become a "dead end" sooner or later, if they are not merged into an official branch.

Nevertheless i could not resist and tinkered a bit with the actual firmware. It is not in a "ready to publish" state, but i think this topic is it worth to be discussed a bit further.

I've added a switch in the maintenance menu to enable the "Geek mode" and added an alternative printing screen that is shown, when this mode is switched on.

Um2 geek printing 01

I tried to stay as close as possible to the official master branch. It doesn't look so nice as Roberts idea, but it should be simpler to maintain this way.

The informations on the lower half of the screen can also work as "shortcuts" into the particular "Tune" options.

Disable the "Geek"-Switch and the default screen is back (for the next print).

It fits my personal needs and i'm pretty happy with it.

But could this be a way to satisfy different kinds of users - and the management too?

I dont' know yet... comments are welcome.

Very nice, I like it.

Since I need to customize the firmware anyway (PID mode vs. bangbang), maybe you could publish yours. Since you stay close to the official branch, it should be easy to merge new changes when an official version is released.

Since I need to customize the firmware anyway (PID mode vs. bangbang), maybe you could publish yours.

Oohh, thanks that you reminded me.... I nearly forgot: the PIDTEMPBED is enabled too... ;-)

If my printer is still working.... tomorrow - i will make the fork public on GitHub.

But the risk is on you...

Deal?

An unsolvable issue with those "Nerd"-forks is, that they become a "dead end" sooner or later, if they are not merged into an official branch.

Maybe you get in contact with Daid and check if UM might be interested to include this solution into the main fork? It's rather close to the UMO display so I see some chances.

btw: what is the empty line reserverd for? For M117 displays...? :???:

Maybe you get in contact with Daid and check if UM might be interested to include this solution into the main fork? It's rather close to the UMO display so I see some chances.

btw: what is the empty line reserverd for? For M117 displays...? :???:

I'm pretty sure, that David will interfere soon...

I predict some votes that recommend this idea..., and some good reasons against it - we will see where this would end up...

As you noticed - some space is intentionally left blank for improvements.

At first we will need a place for the temperature of the second extruder soon.... :mrgreen:

Wait a minute...

Yes, i get it - the M117 is a suggestion for the wish list.... :-P

But gcode generated from Cura contains no such messages, does it?

What's your intention...? I'm afraid i've missed something....

Not yet on for the UM2. It's used for the UMO for displaying the printer status. And the TweakAtZ plugin uses it already on any machine...

Diff is my friend but Deal!

The stuff is on GitHub now. I you want to take a look, use the "geek_mode" branch.

There are some hardly avoidable modifications in the UltiLCD2* files, but most of the changes are summerized in two new files "tinkergnome.h" and "tinkergnome.cpp". :roll:

It is based on the actual master branch from Ultimaker, i had the mysterious "heater error" a few times with this version - you should consider to temporarily remove the new heater verification in "temperature.cpp" if you run into problems.

After installing on the UM2 there is a new entry in the advanced maintenance menu: "Expert settings". This is the place where the "Geek mode" can switched on.

Important notice:

The geek mode is already functional but the development is in an early state - and i'm not very familar with GitHub yet....

Comments are welcome.

With this in mind - happy merging day!

It's me again...

Caution - this is a longer posting - don't read it, if you're in a hurry...

I've published the next iteration of the custom "tinker" firmware for the Ultimaker2 on GitHub.

It's based on the actual development version from Ultimaker (15.01-RC5).

That's why it has the name "Tinker_15.01-RC5".

Important notice:

I tinkered these customizations for my own pleasure, if something is not working as you expect... ...please don't hurt the poor old TinkerGnome...

Of course - comments are always welcome though.

Still there...? OK, if you ever wanted to become a beta-tester - here is your chance.

A compiled .hex file is also available (.../Marlin/resources/firmware), but i have no clue, if it is downloadable separately from GitHub - does anyone know how this works?

Never mind - downloading the whole zip file should work.

One can conventionally install it on the Ultimaker2 with Cura (Machine -> Install custom firmware).

Changelist:

- (re-)activated PID-controlling for the printbed temperature

- added new menu option: Maintenance -> Advanced -> Expert settings (activate the "Geek mode" there)

- in "Geek mode" the build-plate wizard is moved into the maintenance menu, the "Advanced" step is skipped

- Redesigned printing screen displaying the Z stage and some tuning parameters,

now with "instant tuning" - select a parameter and change the target value directly on the printing screen

(don't get frightened - the color on the led ring works as a "you are doing potentially dangerous things" indicator - tinker patents pending... ;) )

Um2 geek printing 03

Enjoy!

Greetings from the TinkerCave.

I just tried it - no effect at all.

I copied/pasted the Raw code into a file saved as a .hex, and uploaded it from Cura. Power-cycled the UM2. I found a new Advanced / Expert Settings menu and selected Geek Mode.

>Return and then go back to check - yep it's in Geek.

Print a piece and I see no change whatsoever - same old uninformative progress bar, the name of the file, and bogus time estimate - useless, as usual. Back to check - yep, says it's in Geek mode.

Very disappointing. Oh well, back to 14.12.1...

I just tried it - no effect at all.

Print a piece and I see no change whatsoever - same old uninformative progress bar, the name of the file, and bogus time estimate - useless, as usual.

Thank you for testing...

mmmmhhh - the intention was a little bit different...

Seems that a "works for me" status does not mean, that it works for everyone...

Perhaps there went something wrong during the git merge...?

I have to check this... after the breakfast... :-)

Till later!

I copied/pasted the Raw code into a file saved as a .hex, and uploaded it from Cura.

Oh - i nearly missed this detail.

I'm not sure if it can work at all this way?

You better should download the whole zip file (there should be a link on the GitHub site) and use the "ready to go" .hex file from Marlin/resources/firmware

Or just clone the repository to a local folder.

Can you give it a second try?

Greetings!

LIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+100 for the tinkergnome in the tinkercave :)

It seems to me, that it's working for you... :mrgreen:

...but please notice the subtle difference - i'm not a thinker - just a tiny tinkerer*... ;)

*(bricoler)

The easy part is done.

Now it's time for feedback and bug fixing improvements... ;)

Greetings!

edit : tinker but no thinker :) i'm sorry ;)

Thinker or Tinker ?

The Raw option on the marlin/firmware page IS the code. It loads into, and operates on, the UM2 just fine, i.e. it is a valid .hex file.

This morning I pinned down the issue - this tweak only works for gcode created by Cura, and with the Ultimaker gcode features set On. It does not work for standard gcode create by any other slicers, such as Kisslicer.

Unfortunate for me, as I rarely use Cura because it does such a miserable job of hiding the path start/stop blivet, aka "z-scar".

This morning I pinned down the issue - this tweak only works for gcode created by Cura, and with the Ultimaker gcode features set On. It does not work for standard gcode create by any other slicers, such as Kisslicer.

Well testet - your're right - mea culpa...

You get the "classic warning" - select CONTINUE and it goes on with the normal "old" printing screen - right?

The implementation of the menu navigation is pretty simple but very "hard coded".

I simply forgot this branch of the menu - until now.

I have corrected this. Not tried Kisslicer but switched the GCodeFlavor in Cura to RepRap (voluminous) and it goes the right way now.

The version on GitHub is updated.

Bye till tomorrow!

Yep - Select to Continue.

Thanks for the update! I'll give it a try tonight.

I just installed it - works great, but for a regression: when I go to Expert Settings and set Geek Mode, it instantly goes back to the Advanced menu - does not allow me to see the setting. If I click Expert again, it does show Geek as selected, but then when I return to the Advanced menu, I can't exit Advanced. >Return just recycles, and I can't get back to the action menus without a power-off-on.

The use of color on the knob is excellent UI design - nice!

This should be incorporated into the base code, as the UM2 really needs a non-novice mode. Daid? Are you reading this?

an idea... :)

FLOW

++

My preferences (although I don't want to turn this into a wishlist :unsure: ):

1st line and it is right now

3rd line: Temperatures (Ex. 0, Ex. 1, Bed)

4th line: Speed and Fan and maybe Flow

5th line: empty; can be filled with a M117

There are symbols on the UMO-Ulticontroller-Display for the temperatures, maybe they could be used as well on the UM2? ^_^

...but for a regression: ...does not allow me to see the setting. ... can't get back to the action menus without a power-off-on.

This way it's never boring.... ;)

As i always say: even on a short way one can get lost...

This calls for a new iteration... ...next year... (hey - it comes sooner in our area)

I'm off back to the tinkercave...

Yeah! Let's discuss the screen layout!

There are always symbols for the temperature ? I shall take a look on it... Thanks for the hint.

And keep in mind - in preparation for the second extruder - there will be a second flow value too.

Damned - the display is always too small for all the tiny gizmos... ;)

I suggest to use the first line for the M117 messages - instead of the filename - or perhaps switchable...?

The temperature values side by side in one line and below the same for the flow rate(s) could be a logical order... mmmhhhh let's see...

I can make a few screenshots (out of daids simulator) afterwards.

Till then...

And keep in mind - in preparation for the second extruder - there will be a second flow value too.

Actually, there are 2 x (No. of extruders) + 1 flows...

One is the general flow factor; and then, there is an extruder specific flow factor, one for each extruder.

I would stick with the general flow factor on the display.

I suggest to use the first line for the M117 messages - instead of the filename - or perhaps switchable...?

I think the filename is an important value, because it validates what I print.

Imagine : I print--> I drink--> I print --> I drink --> I print --> I look the girl next door --> I drink --> I kiss my wife --> I drink............but......what i print ?.....ok...go to sleep :)

The temperature values side by side in one line and below the same for the flow rate(s) could be a logical order... mmmhhhh let's see...

it is a good idea because the XT ( colorfabb ) requires precise adjustment of flow.