More information during print

cube

Posted · More information during print

The firmware is almost perfect: P

I just have a problem with the feeder, when I load the filament that it stops and makes a weird noise: /

But it is not really annoying for printing

I joined you video

VIDEO0081[1]

I did not report, but I had the same problem on to previous version

mmmmh, i assume the fault is on my side... i never use the change filament wizard...

i have to check this...

i'll be right back...

The firmware is almost perfect: P

No, it isn't... but if you have faith and don't doubt... ;)

when I load the filament that it stops and makes a weird noise: /

Unfortuntately i can not find an obvious bug and the video seems not to be accessible from the gallery.

Can someone give me a short explanation / steps to duplicate the problem?

David recently changed a detail during the "fast forward" step - it may have something to do with it...?

I just went to the kitchen TinkerCave, aborted the ongoing print* and inserted some new material... works and sounds normal for me...

I guess - i am missing something? I think it's time to go to sleep...

* the print failed anyway - d..n FlexiFil... :(

Ok, i've seen the video now - it was just the Firefox that doesn't like it...

That's the removal step, isn't it?

I don't use the stock feeder but the https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two - but i just have tried the material removal several times without this weird noise... so i assume it is not a general problem with the software.

The material in the video seems to have a lot of tension, perhaps there is just too much friction in the bowden and you run into the limit of the motor current during the deceleration part of the move....?

That's just a guess, i don't know how this sounds...

well

I try this :

With the firmware of Daid

14.12.1 ---> no problem with the feeder

15.01-RC6 ---> problem with the feeder

With your firmware the tinker it's the same.

and you run into the limit of the motor current during the deceleration part of the move....?

I think it's right, but i'm not an expert.

For daid if you read these lines, i use the original feeder and bowden tube with XT filament.

++

I have faith ! :p

For the problem at the filament change I feed the engine is running too fast and it "locks"

With the firmware of Daid

14.12.1 ---> no problem with the feeder

15.01-RC6 ---> problem with the feeder

I like your line of action... ;)

I did not dare to propose such a comparison... btw.: how often can one flash the firmware until the eeprom will break down..?

(Edit: google suggests something between 10.000 and 100.000 times - no problem... ;) )

Indeed there is a change in the current development version, daid commented this with "improve the material load/unload procedure".

In previous versions the material move was splittet into 6 parts, and now it's only one single move.

I assume, there are potentially unwanted side effects to acceleration / deceleration...?

I will tentatively go back to the old variant for the planned RC7 release later this day.

Look forward!

btw.: how often can one flash the firmware until the eeprom will break down..?

(Edit: google suggests something between 10.000 and 100.000 times - no problem... ;) )

1 per week × 52 = 52

52 × 60 (Approximately) = 3120 times

I can do 2 flash per week ! easy !

And thanks to google I will live 1000 years

52 × 1000 = 52 000 time

It's Ok :)

I like your line of action... ;)

I did not dare to propose such a comparison...

Simple and effective, it's the novice method, But very limited ! :)

I look RC7 release later...impatient !

I look RC7 release later...impatient !

That's the wrong approach if you want to survive 1000 years of 3D-printing... ;)

I've published the Tinker V15.01-RC7 just now:

• Merge branch 'master' of Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin (V15.01-RC7) into geek_mode

• reverted to the previous variant of material loading/unloading

• calculation of the current flow corrected

• binaries removed from the repository

Have fun!

hi the tinker

It's me the nightmare !

Sunday meditation....

The temperature lines :

For the nozzle and bed.

temp line

The priming screen :

Material profil display on the priming screen.

Tinkergnome

----------------------------

heatup nozzle...

PLA 0° / 210°

0° / 60°

----------------------------

Adjustable Z during printing :

I hear you say : but rigs, there are screws to adjust the bed ;)

well, there are screws but it's an idea.

one rotation move with the button ( turn on the left ) = - 0.01 mm on Z

one rotation move with the button ( turn on the right ) = + 0.01 mm on Z

one click with the button = validation

Wizard for the Atomic method cleaning :

In the MAINTENANCE MENU

Step :

1) Head move to the front center --> next

2) change material or not ( if you use robert feeder ) --> next

3) Heat up nozzle.....30 second.....lowering of T° --> next or return to step 3

Screensaver :

Inspired from norpchen (aka Selmo) the lights are dimmed after 30 minutes without any user activity

and i have added the input acceleration feature during temperature selections

in the maintenance menu (Heatup nozzle/buildplate) - let me know how you like it...

With screensaver ;) and a option of time : 30 second - 1 minutes - 15 minutes

If you like this idea, i draw the wallpaper...

that's all for today :mrgreen:

In case of the temperatures - you mean something like "current temp. / target temp." - right?

The name of the material profile can be quite long in recent versions - but this should be possible. Only display the name - or are there further intentions?

A wizard for the atomic method should be possible - but this would be a little bit exaggerated, wouldn't it? Moving the printhead by hand is not soooooo complicated and you have to do some hand work anyway...

...and i have doubts if a semi-automatic temperature regulation would be so much helpful....?

Anyway - it is worth an open discussion...

The idea of fine-tuning the z-stage is also a little bit.... uncommon... isn't it? The axes moves are "hard coded" in the gcode file, but of course it should be possible to add an offset in any direction - if we perform a little surgery wihin the Marlin event processing...

Of course this would only affect prospective moves that are not already in the command queue - but this applies to most of the other tuning options too.

The question is: would it be worth the efforts? I've never missed something like this so far...

Last but not least:

Screensaver :

With screensaver ;) and a option of time : 30 second - 1 minutes - 15 minutes

If you like this idea, i draw the wallpaper...

that's all for today :mrgreen:

I knew it... This was unavoidable... ;)

I thought the printing screen _is_ the screensaver...?

You're right - the period of time should be adjustable, but i'm unsure about the idea of an extra wallpaper...?

So far my monday meditation... ;)

Let's see!

In case of the temperatures - you mean something like "current temp. / target temp." - right?

yes ;)

For the nozzle temperature and bed temperature.

The name of the material profile can be quite long in recent versions - but this should be possible. Only display the name - or are there further intentions?

Only the name : PLA, ABS, UPET or CUSTOM by the user save in the SD Card ( XT, WOOD,PET....) material.txt

You think that there are other important information ?

Ultigcode or RepRapgcode

The date/time of the .gcode (last backup)

A wizard for the atomic method should be possible - but this would be a little bit exaggerated, wouldn't it?

yes, it's exaggerated.

This idea :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: the garbage.

The idea of fine-tuning the z-stage is also a little bit.... uncommon... isn't it?

yes it is :)

I have this option on the delta tower and it's very convenient when you print a large surface for the first layer.

If it's too difficult :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: in the garbage.

I knew it... This was unavoidable... ;)

I thought the printing screen _is_ the screensaver...?

You're right - the period of time should be adjustable, but i'm unsure about the idea of an extra wallpaper...?

You write Tinker you choose :p

see you tomorrow !

New bugs in newest version:

- on a gcode file created by Kisslicer, the UM2 now immediately turns off the bed and extruder heaters when starting a print.

- It also does not control the fan as directed in the gcode.

These issues did not occur with the same gcode yesterday, before I updated to the 15.01 RC7 version.

On the positive side, adjusting Flow from the main panel works, which it did not in the previous version.

- on a gcode file created by Kisslicer, the UM2 now immediately turns off the bed and extruder heaters when starting a print.

- It also does not control the fan as directed in the gcode.

This is really weird...interesting... but weird... good that you don't give up ;)

This sounds like a job for tomorrow... i will check repair this.

hi tinkergnome

wednesday meditation...

In the menu " Maintenance "

selected option " move axes "

The cheap display :) :

- +

Z--------------X------------Y

0.20 0.00 1.52

Choose your feed rate: 0.01 or 0.1 or 1.0 or 10

And the magic option....initialize origin !

what do you think ?

At first: a small update...

I had broken the initialization of a new print for the RepRap flavor.... again

Many thanks to EldRick for reporting (and for the test file)... again

I resolve to test a new release always also for the "other" GCode flavor... again

The bugfix is published on GitHub... again

;);)

Only the name : PLA, ABS, UPET or CUSTOM by the user save in the SD Card ( XT, WOOD,PET....) material.txt

No luck with the material name... there is no name stored for the current setting. I think, that makes sense.... After selecting one of the presets one can change the material settings at any time without the need to give them a name...

Although one could store the name of the last selected material preset together with the other settings, this would break the compatibility with the stock firmware... i have doubts ... i think this had more drawbacks than benefits...?

You think that there are other important information ?

Ultigcode or RepRapgcode

The date/time of the .gcode (last backup)

mmhhh, additional informations about the current file (if we are printing from the sdcard)...

I think this could be an option in the tune menu - but i have to check the available informations from the SDCard first.

I have this option on the delta tower and it's very convenient when you print a large surface for the first layer.

And the magic option....initialize origin !

If i understand this correctly, this are two similar dangerous approaches... i like the idea... somehow... ;)

At first - the possibility to move the xyz-axes with the encoder wheel (new option in the maintenance menu). Including the option to save the current position as a persistent offset to the home position. Probably dangerous and not very useful... but cool... ;)

And second - "instant tuning" of the z-position during a print (Probably useful for the fine tuning of the first layer height).

This would be an additional offset to the current z-position and resets after the current print completed.

We have the need to take all offsets into account during the Marlin command processing - but this would be a challenge - not an obstacle... ;)

I knew it - no time to rest for the next weekends... ;)

BTW: what about the stability of the current "tinker" release. Are there really no further issues so far...?

Hi Tinker :)

I finally took a couple of minutes to upload your firmware, i love it, it's really something i've been missing for a couple of months.

One thing that would be really nice to have is be able to move the Z from a menu to get the precise Z height in case of a failed print you want to recover.

I've not taken a lot of time to check it out but my first impression is that it's really great

DIDIER ! DIDIER !

I am happy to see you here ;)

No luck with the material name... there is no name stored for the current setting. I think, that makes sense.... After selecting one of the presets one can change the material settings at any time without the need to give them a name...

Although one could store the name of the last selected material preset together with the other settings, this would break the compatibility with the stock firmware... i have doubts ... i think this had more drawbacks than benefits...?

OK in the garbage :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I knew it - no time to rest for the next weekends... ;)

:mrgreen:

BTW: what about the stability of the current "tinker" release. Are there really no further issues so far...?

For the moment no problem in my cave.

One thing that would be really nice to have is be able to move the Z from a menu to get the precise Z height in case of a failed print you want to recover.

I think as you didier.

Contains the Kisslicer gcode M221 commands?

No - M221 is not found in Kisslicer gcode.

However, I just experimented, and one can issue M221 S% from pronterface during a print, which substitutes for the non-functional Flow setting when using Kisslicer-generated gcode.

Is this an Ultimaker microcode bug? Why is the Flow setting not working except with Cura-generated gcode?

I've merged the current master branch into the tinker firmware. Daid has not tagged it yet, but i think it should be 15.01-RC9.

The Ultimaker masters have reduced the speed during the new filament change procedure, so this can be retested.

Other changes of the master branch are described in the Cura thread.

Edit: You should use the "Move axis" menu with caution - and with a hand near the power switch...

I found a bug this morning - If the axis position is already known (for example by a former buildplate move) this leads to an immediate move to the zero position if you select the menu.

Better avoid the move menu until the next iteration...

Ok, i've added a first attempt for a "Move axis" menu. To borrow some words from master daid: still a bit experimental, but it works.... ;)

I want to achieve some sort of smooth moving (as less stuttering as possible).

My poor UM2had some blackouts during my testing when i moved the encoder wheel (and the z-axis) very fast. I don't know the reason yet... Moderate moving speeds are working fine, could this be a problem with the interrupt handling...?

(i have not much clue about electronics...)

One can really make interesting sounds with the z-axis.... ;) (you know it from the bed leveling wizard)

Unfortunately the axis moving stuff can't be tested with the simulator, my Ultimaker2 had a lot of firmware updates this weekend...

Now: it's your turn - download the new release here - comments are welcome.

Some iterations later...

I have redesigned the new menu "Move axis". I think, reliability and user interface are much better this way.

I'm not sure, if everyone will find this as intuitive as i do, but you can just try it out now.

There are three functions for each axis. With the left one (the axis name) you can control the movement in both directions, with the second option you can move slowly to a specific location - for fine tuning or measuring. The function of the "home" at the right side should be obvious.

... ... yes ... i know ... i'm still not an artist... ;)

Those stuff is still a little bit dangerous, because we have the endstops only on one side and the printer is not always aware of it's current position.

But if you don't forget to home all axis before any other move it works pretty save.

Um2 geek moveaxis 01

The last commits of the master branch are also merged. We are at V15.01-RC10 already... (as time goes by....)

If you want to have a look, download it from GitHub - feedback is always welcome.